PDA

View Full Version : Overheating and a nice save.

Carnage
01-22-2006, 07:19 PM
I was driving my car pretty fast down the highway (about 80 MPH). When I got off I took a look at my guages and OMG my tempature guage was in the red zone. I pulled to the nearest gas station, and opened my radiator. There was no water. I waited about 45 min then filled it (cold water + hot engine = bad thats what I heard). I noticed that the little water left in my radiator was rusty. Should I buy some radiator flush or just drain it?

Anyway it was a nice save by me. If I didn't notice that I don't think I'de have my celica anymore :(.

85gtsblackman
01-22-2006, 11:15 PM
well if u didnt cook the headgasket

replace thermostat

make sure fan works fine

replace radiator hoses

flush cooling system

oh and water pump

should solve all your problems

alltracman78
01-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Head gasket doesn't cook
The head [aluminum] warps, causing the hg to leak....

The only thing you NEED to do [to start] is flush the system.
And look for leaks.
If it was that low, it will overheat no matter WHAT the condition of the rest of the system.

Of course if something else is wrong with it, you need to fix that as well...

Carnage
01-23-2006, 04:13 AM
Nah. I think it was just a one time thing as I haven't checked the water in a while which is a dumb move on my part. I'm going to take your advice and flush my system to get that rust out of it. Thx

BTW what happens if I were to drive it around with no water, I mean obviously the engine would cook and thats not good but like what exactly happens? Does my engine like sieze or something, I don't know because I never tried it (NOTE: I dont want to try this)

alltracman78
01-23-2006, 04:30 AM
It might eventually, if the oil get's hot enough and burns off.
Your head WILL warp, and you would lose ALOT of power.

85gtsblackman
01-23-2006, 04:38 AM
u can drive around with no coolant but u gotta run the heater, still not good on engine but wont overheat unless thermostat is stuck shut

alltracman78
01-23-2006, 04:52 AM
If there is no coolant in the engine, it doesn't matter what the therm does......