PDA

View Full Version : '86 GTS Motor Options?.....

RockStarZeus
01-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Hello all. I just got an '86 GTS w/ 3SGE motor. The motor has a pretty good rod knock. My plan is to take it to school and put new rod bearings in it and see if it holds up but I thought I would see what other motor would be a fairly straightforward swap? Are there other motors that use the same block but different head (i.e. Nissan KA24E and KA24DE) ? Any info will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

RockStarZeus
01-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Also, any other generally useful info about my car would be appreciated.

4thgenceli
01-21-2006, 12:21 AM
86GTS can take the 3sge, 5sfe, and 3sgte engines(and the 3sfe, but don't bother). Any s-series engine will work fine.

What sorta info you lookin for? 4gcelica.net has specs for all the 4th gen's.

schmooot
01-22-2006, 08:23 PM
easiest swap would be to drop another 3S-GE in there. I've done it twice, if you're set up right its pretty straight forward

RockStarZeus
02-18-2006, 04:50 AM
Well, got the motor to school and got the pan off and discovered that the #2 rod bearing was completely gone. The crank was hammered and #2 rod was WAY out of round. I've decided to just go ahead and get another bottom end. What I would like to know is if the 3SGE shares a short block (Block, Pistons, Crank) with any other Toyota motors? I know a guy who has a 3SFE motor locally I can get for next to nothing, could I use his block and just bolt my head and just bolt everything else on? I was looking at a RAV-4 we have at school with a 3SFE and the block looked the same as my 3SGE. Does anyone know what the breakdown is for the toyota engine codes? For instance, with a Nissan KA24DE, KA=Block Type, 24=2.4L, DE=Dual Cam. ANy info will be appreciated.

RockStarZeus
02-18-2006, 04:52 AM
P.S.- I have the motor out and disassembled so if anyone has a disassembled 3SFE we could figure it out comparing the motors......

RockStarZeus
05-17-2006, 06:15 AM
Found a solution....check it out.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17078