PDA

View Full Version : st165 turbo setup --> st185 turbo setup

1988GT4
01-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey guys,
i have a st165 with a cracked manifold and blown turbo, and i figured that i just upgrade to the twin entry setup. I got the 2gen downpipe, manifold, and twin entry turbo. i know that the manifold is a 9 bolt, i already have shaved off the extra holes. Now, when i put the turbo onto the manifold, the oil lines from the turbo are not lineing up with the holes. Im thinkin of 2 possibilities can i swap the lines from the old turbo to the new turbo? or can i just remove the supports that are connected to the lines, and adjust the lines to fit the holes. Also the turbo housing is very close to the oil filter doesnt look like the downpipe will fit, i heard that i can use a flange/spacer to give the space i need, but is there any other way i can avoid that? if not doesnt anyone got a spare flange/spacer Razz.
any info would help.
thanks
Arthur

Luni
01-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Are you using the stock downpipe or an aftermarket? Im told the aftermarket unit will fit, but the stock one needs a spacer.

As for the lines, I dont know if you could use them because Im not sure if the 2 different lines bolt to the blocks banjo bolt the same way in the same place, but Ill bet you should be able to modify your old ones to fit.

As for the spacer, the only problem I see with that is its going to change your exhausts relative position down low so it might not mate up with your bpipe properly.

Hope this helps SOME, if not Im sorry for rambling.

angryyoungnpoor
01-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, I've got a 165 motor in my 90 gts. I contacted ATSracing about upgrading the a ct27 turbo. They had told me I needed the downpipe and manifold from 2nd gen, and that the oil cooler needed to be changed or removed.

From my knowledge the 2nd gen's turbo is 7 bolts the 1st's is 4, and the 3rd's is 9.

Take some pictures they always help.

Oh... I had bought a 2nd gen aftermarket manifold.. it didn't fit right(still don't know if it was an error in the welding or just that it didn't fit.) I really don't know if too many people have tried putting a 2nd or 2rd gen turbo on a first gen.

Cliff notes..

Change the manifold, turbo, and downpipe. I believe the oil cooler(the oil filter is connected to it) is a problem. :)

saved_1992
01-17-2006, 10:16 PM
ok i know 1988gt4 has seen this i will post this up for the rest of ya so you get an idea on what needs to be done for this swap, read all the pages other posters give some insites on their installs

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2136

1988GT4
01-17-2006, 10:50 PM
iight...so just need to get my self one of those flanges and then work with the oil line a little

alltracman78
01-18-2006, 12:44 AM
ok i know 1988gt4 has seen this i will post this up for the rest of ya so you get an idea on what needs to be done for this swap, read all the pages other posters give some insites on their installs

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2136

cool
saved me the trouble of searching. :D

saved_1992
01-18-2006, 12:59 AM
cool
saved me the trouble of searching. :D

ya i am pimping this write up all over the world the count is up to 3777 :wiggle:

dang looking at that number i need to go gamble :D

d1alltrac
01-18-2006, 02:19 AM
ya i am pimping this write up all over the world the count is up to 3777 :wiggle:

dang looking at that number i need to go gamble :D

i think i contributed at least 30-50 to that 3777 :D

yeah just check the write up for info....i think the easiest way to handle the oil line is bending the 165 lines slightly, you will need to remove the support brackets also.