View Full Version : shuddering problem

01-17-2006, 06:03 PM
i have run into a problem with my 1993 celica GT. The car shudders severely when it is in gear and accelerating, at speeds higher than 50mph in fifth gear. I haven;t tested it out at high rpm's in lower gears to see if its rpm related or speed related. The problem only occurs when you give it gas, but once you stop accelerating, it stops suddering.

I think it is most likely the inner CV joint.

Anyone have any thoughts or know how much of a pain in the ass it is to fix?

01-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Does it seem like the engine is studdering, causing the car to shake, or that something else is shaking?

01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
i would have to say that it doesn;t seem as if the engine is shaking the car, only because it only does it when the car is in gear. if you engage the clutch and rev the engine the car is fine. As well the engine is running fine (has new plugs wires etc. as well a bunch of other maintenence things done).

01-20-2006, 03:07 AM
I'd say it has to do with some tire/suspension issue. I would first get your tires balanced, then have an alighnment done on the car to take care of those possible issues first. The reason I point to those is because you say its fine if you rev the engine with the clutch in, so I doubt its the engine stuttering making it torque around in the engine bay. But you never know, but those are the areas I would look at first.

02-18-2006, 04:05 AM
I'm thinking your clutch is going.

If it only shudders when under load it's unlikely to be an unbalanced wheel. Does it fail to accelerate if you rev harder once shuddering? If yes, I'd say your clutch is slipping and needs replacing. One of a few potential causes tho.

02-18-2006, 03:24 PM
if it were a wheel suspension problem it would make a grinding noise when the wheels are in motion right? whether the clutch is engaged or not it seems like a shuddering noise doesnt occur with suspension problems, i could be wrong, just trying to state the facts.

02-26-2006, 05:29 AM
i have the exact same problem in my girlfriends car. a 94 celica gt, auto. major vibration about 60mph, but only when accelerating or going uphill. sometimes there is a little bit of a knocking sound... we already replaced the drivers side axle, and am about to replace the passenger side since the noise is coming from that side. good luck with your problem. let me know if you find the answer. we are going to replace the axle shaft, then get another allignment. we had already had it alligned and i balance the tires myself...

02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
I let the car sit for like 2 weeks while i was a school and had no time to get to work on the car, and decided to take it out with a friend so i could get his opinion of the problem. We got into the car and drove it around the downtown area, and it seemed fine (other than the car hadn't been driven for awhile). Next, we took it on the interstate and took it up to like 70 and the car was fine, we even hammered it in like third gear to redline. This is just confusing. . . the car seemed to have no problems what so ever. The only thing i can think of is that the car was driven for like 2 hours before the problem started to occur the first time.

02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
balagast: What kind of plugs did you stink in there? You let the car sit for two weeks and you drove it and it was fine. Is it possible that you are getting water in your dizzy cap? Then after you let it sit it is dry. When was the last time you checked your timing? Seems like the only time your car is making this shutter is when its under load. Does the car accelerate fine in 4th gear at higher speeds?

VDubluv: You need to check your timing before your poor 5S goes boom!!!

John L.

02-27-2006, 05:45 PM
i had bosch plugs and wires like a year ago, but those were replaced over the summer with denso iridiums. what is a good way to check the timing? The car was fine at higher speeds (75 80) in all gears that can handle those speeds.

when the problem first came up i was driving back to school (From Philly to Albany area), which is about a 3 hours trip. the car was fine half of the way there and then it got progressively worse as i drove further. At first it would be very slight and only every now and then at like 80, and i got worse to the point where i had to slow down to like 55 for the car not to be constantly suddering while accelerating. Hills were definaltely worse as well.

I'd go check the plugs further today, its like -15 wind chill in Troy . . . but if anybody has any suggestions for what to do I;m all ears.

02-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Drive to autozone if you have one in your area and they will check your timing for free. If you get a chance pull one of your plugs. If it has white powder on it your engine is running lean. Your car should be running timing at 10 BTC at idle (stock).

I find it a little odd that your problem got worse over time. Did you hear any sounds coming from the engine like a ping or someone dropping ball bearings into a tin can? Tall tell sign of running to much timing.

Side note: Good thing you got rid of the bosch!!! Bad idea in a Toyota.

John L.

02-27-2006, 06:05 PM
it's not the timing. i already adjusted that when i replaced the dist... and plugs are fine, everything as far as the engine is good except for one sensor that i broke yesterday. but this has been an on-going problem.

02-28-2006, 05:55 AM
And which sensor might that be......an important one? :eek:

:squint: :slap: and to give advice that seams so popular..........I think it's your thingamajigger. It's making your clutch go out, which will effect your internal combustion, and casue thermal nuclear meltdown endangering everyone in the universe. What they really mean to say........ we think we know what your talking about so here's a possible problem. WOW......I'm feeling dumber with every letter I type. :squint: :squint: :ugh:

Ok on to a more serious note: If you could colaborate and pin point the how, when, where factors then we might be able to help diagnose better. Does the problem only appear when the car is on motion? Will it still do it rolling down the road with the tranny in neutral (to eliminate the eninge as a possibility)? Or is it related to the engine. Only under a certain load possibly? Does temperature have anything to do with it? Is it possable that water got in something and was causing a problem, but not the water is gone and so is the problem?

02-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Ok heres the total breakdown of symptoms (although i pretty much got all of this in my initial post.

I was driving from philadelphia to Troy, NY (near albany), and my car began to shudder a bit every now and then (irradically maybe every 10 mins or so) after i had been driving for like an hour. As i progessed the shudder began to get much worse at high speeds (75 to 80), but not at lower speeds like 65. It continued to get worse the entire way until about an hour from albany, it got to the point where i had to drive at 50 to 55, or the car shuddered and shook violently. the car was fine to drive slowly at about 50 the rest of the was there.

The shaking only took place when i had my foot on the accelerator, and the car was in gear with the clutch not engaged. if the car was rolling in or out of gear or with the clutch engaged, with no accelerator depression, the car drove normally. As well, i tested it in fourth gear, and it did the same exact thing. furthermore, the shaking was worse when going up hills, where the engine had more strain.

I then came back to school and have not had time to work on the car, and i decided to take my friend out for a ride to diagnose the problem. The car ran and drove perfectly around town and on the highway at high speeds. Additionally, tonight i kind of beat on the car a tiny bit driving around for like 30 mins and everything is quite alright.

02-28-2006, 04:39 PM
i'm not sure of the other guys problem, but mine is load dependant, not RPM dependant. speeds between 50-nd up, with either 80% load or more. we've narrowed it down to the passenger side CV's. it will be replaced next week

03-11-2006, 03:27 AM
I just drove the car for like 4 hours today, and the problem came back again, after i had been driving the car for like 3 weeks with no problems. Again the car shuddered on acceleration. Another thing i noticed is that it made a knocking sound when braking.