PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand Driving: JDM ST205

Toyota_Todd
12-30-2004, 04:54 AM
How many of you have driven a RH Drive car? :hehe: I did recently and found it to be kind of a challenge. Derek finally got the ST205 home and it runs pretty well. That is untill it seems that the hood will come untied (yes, the dreaded ghetto tie downs). :ghey: Mailboxes whiz by your face and the shifting with the left hand leaves you feeling like a geek at the dance with 2 left feet. When he finally buys the hood and bumper from me and gets it really road worthy, we will need to do some real road testing. The real test will be the stock ST205 VS. modded ST185. This should be good :D

Boost/LH Shifffft/boost/LH Shiiiifffft/boost/Hood scrare :arr:

sgtmayhem4
12-30-2004, 05:00 AM
bwahahaha, shifting w/ the left hand would be a challenge for me, i've tried to steer w/ just my right hand and i cant do it, i'm so dependent on that left one on the wheel. i'd love to try one out tho.

Mike431635
12-30-2004, 06:30 PM
I could probably do it. I can drive with my right hand with no problem. There's just a lack of a RHD car for me to drive :P

ChrisD
12-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Lots of people here have RHD cars. We have the 15 year rule so anything older can be imported with simply an out of province inspection. Lots of skylines/silvias, etc. They mostly say it is alright once you get used to it.

I'm glad Derek finally is getting that thing together. Such a sexy car. He's lucky I didn't steal it while it was in town!! :hehe:

EvilSpeeder
12-30-2004, 07:07 PM
My boss has a 2001 Austin mini cooper sport that he imported from europe. It's right hand drive and i've driven it quite a bit. I find that it takes me about 5 min to get used to it everytime I get in it. It's really not bad, especially if you've ridden a bike before. That helps you get the right hand/left foot de-coupled from shifter/clutch duty. The mini is really a handful as it needs an alignment badly. It pulls hard to the right and is VERY twichy at high speed.

imac
12-30-2004, 09:20 PM
bwahahaha, shifting w/ the left hand would be a challenge for me, i've tried to steer w/ just my right hand and i cant do it, i'm so dependent on that left one on the wheel. i'd love to try one out tho.

:stupid: im so used to steering with my left that it feels wierd to steer with the right. im sure i could get used to it tho if i had an st205 or skyline or something like that to motivate me :D

Lagos
01-01-2005, 07:14 PM
take some pics and better yet, some videos. thats a rare care to have in the states. id really like to know how it compares to a swaped 6th gen.

medivh66
01-01-2005, 10:24 PM
i drove a rhd legacy wagon. it was an automatic metermaid car. when i floored it while driving back to the police parking lot i killed the engine. other than being a POS after about 30secs i was totally fine driving on the wrong side.

AutobotCelica
01-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Lots of people here have RHD cars. We have the 15 year rule so anything older can be imported with simply an out of province inspection. Lots of skylines/silvias, etc. They mostly say it is alright once you get used to it.

I'm glad Derek finally is getting that thing together. Such a sexy car. He's lucky I didn't steal it while it was in town!! :hehe:

Does the 15 year rule apply to all of Canada?

emicen
01-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Left hand shifting is piss easy though. :hehe:

jai
01-03-2005, 09:11 PM
I loved it driving RHD vehicles (remember, i learnt to drive in steets of bombay at 12-14). When i started driving LHD vehciles, i found that odd...its kinda like a kid on a bycycle, everything comes out smoothly..the only obstacle is learning to know the clutch, some vehicles its soft, some its super hard!

Luni
01-03-2005, 10:36 PM
How do the gear gates work on those? Where are the pedals located? Is the gas still on the right with the clutch on the left?

Do the gears go like

1-3-5
2-4-r

or do they look like

5-3-1
r-4-2

EvilSpeeder
01-03-2005, 11:16 PM
How do the gear gates work on those? Where are the pedals located? Is the gas still on the right with the clutch on the left?

Do the gears go like

1-3-5
2-4-r

or do they look like

5-3-1
r-4-2

The one I've driven was the same as a LHD

1-3
2-4-r
(it was a 4-speed!)

Beej
01-04-2005, 03:09 AM

Do the gears go like

1-3-5
2-4-r

or do they look like

5-3-1
r-4-2

Gears are top to bottom, left to right

1-3-5
2-4-R

the clutch is on the left, the accelerator on the right, and the brake in the middle.....so yer its exactly the same

LOL@ 5-3-1
R-4-2

Mr E
01-04-2005, 07:03 PM
How many of you have driven a RH Drive car?

Every day.

I have no problem with LHD, unless I'm thinking about something else, go for 5th and open the door at 170kph on the autobahn.....

....you only do it once...

EvilSpeeder
01-04-2005, 07:15 PM
go for 5th and open the door at 170kph on the autobahn.....

....you only do it once...

LOL

ChrisD
01-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Does the 15 year rule apply to all of Canada?

Yes it does. :)

Sean
01-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Gears are top to bottom, left to right

1-3-5
2-4-R

the clutch is on the left, the accelerator on the right, and the brake in the middle.....so yer its exactly the same

LOL@ 5-3-1
R-4-2

Thats insane! It seems like it would be easier if first gear was closest to you, then you go out from there, interesting! I always thought it would be the other way.

In madagascar they put the clutch in the middle :slap:

hobbie2k
01-06-2005, 04:54 AM
I've owned a couple RHD cars, including a 1980 Datsun 280C, 1978 Datsun 200B, 1979 Celica LT2000, A 1991 Nissan Silvia Q's, and a 1988 Nissan Cima Cedric. The shift patter is exactly the same as a LHD car and the pedals are arranged the same (left foot on clutch, right foot on gas).

The hardest part for me wasn't the car, but getting used to driving on the left hand side. After a little while, though, it's perfectly natural.

Mr E
01-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Thats insane! It seems like it would be easier if first gear was closest to you, then you go out from there, interesting! I always thought it would be the other way.

In madagascar they put the clutch in the middle :slap:

To be honest, it seems totally natural to me. If they switched the gearbox around they'd have to build 2 types of box, and confuse everyone. Why bother?

Tommy91GT
01-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I've drive a RHD Skyline,95 Supra, 96 Celica and 01 Accord since I've been here in Germany. It takes a little getting use to but its really no different. That is unless you try to gansta lean...feel like you should be hanging out the door. I have a chance to buy the first three. My only concerns would be bring it back to the states. Being military I don't have to pay to ship it home, but conversions are expensive. For the sky its 25Gs, the Supra 7-8G and 6-7 for the Celi.I can get the the supra for under 10Gs so it would still be a decent deal, specially due to the fact that it already has a widebody kit, and varies engine upgrades.

Rayme
01-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Yes it does. :)

yea...so since 6 days ago we can legaly get REAL JDM ST-185 with those sweet 225 hp engines, RHD and japanese writting on all the stickers .lol...

From which exporter does some of the guy you know have got the cars from?

emicen
01-07-2005, 08:32 PM
yea...so since 6 days ago we can legaly get REAL JDM ST-185 with those sweet 225 hp engines, RHD and japanese writting on all the stickers .lol...

From which exporter does some of the guy you know have got the cars from?

You'll need 100octane fuel to get those figures mate. We've found JDM cars in the UK on 97 fuel only push the same as UK fours, about 205 at the flywheel.

Beej
01-09-2005, 09:40 AM
To be honest, it seems totally natural to me. If they switched the gearbox around they'd have to build 2 types of box, and confuse everyone. Why bother?

yer i was about to point that out, it would make things extremely un-economical.....and stoooopid

You'll need 100octane fuel to get those figures mate. We've found JDM cars in the UK on 97 fuel only push the same as UK fours, about 205 at the flywheel.

same here....cept u do em on 98 octane, and u only get about the same as our locally delivered variant