PDA

View Full Version : Fiery pits of Hell: My 7th gen is killing me!

psyco13013
01-10-2006, 12:33 AM
This weekend I went to change out the lift bolts on my GTS, and the intake bolt is broken off inside the engine. From what I have read, this will cost between $800 to $1000+ to get fixed, assumint its only the bolt that needs fixing. I'm told that broken bolts can damage the rocker and other components.

This comes less than 2 weeks after I put a new transmission in the car, costing me over $2100. So I'm looking at upwards of $3000 in less than 30 days! I called Toyota and they said that this was not a recall item so they wont work with me on it (out of warranty too). There is a TSB about it, where Toyota says the bolts are a problem, they even made a new kind of bolt to replace the faulty ones, but they stopped short of a recall.

[soap box]

Hey Toyota, :wtf:
The 7th gen Celica seems to have more problems than a 17 year old's DSM! The tranny goes out (both GTS and GT), the lift bolts go bad, the sunroof delaminates, the sunroof motor goes out, there are seat belt problems, valve adjustment issues, the list goes on and on! How can you put out a car with so many problems and then not be willing to work with their customers to get them resolved?

They are building a Toyota plant here in San Antonio, I have half a mind to return my car to the manufacturer -- the fun way. I fear the only way I can get out from under this imported lemon is to total it out and collect the insurance $$$. If I had wanted a car that falls apart after 5 years, and depreciates in value faster than Enron stock shares, I'd have bought a GMC! I heard that Toyota was expected to be recognized as a domestic auto maker in the next few years. Well with "quality" vehicles like this, I'd say they're doing a damn good job of domesticating themselves.

:thefinger: Toyota. I Shoulda Gotta Honda.

[/soap box]

Sorry 'bout that guys, I just had to vent.

Trance4c
01-10-2006, 12:53 AM
I can understand.. an no offense to anyone, but I wouldn't buy a 7th gen celica! I went to go see one at the dealership as soon as they arrived, an my opinion has been the same ever since. Sorry for your bad luck!

Colossus20v
01-10-2006, 12:54 AM
sorry you've had so many problems.Keep your head up.

85gtsblackman
01-10-2006, 03:38 AM
we have so many 7th gens gt and gts come in at work with everything wrong with them

the corolla isnt faring to well either.

its bad when a 2000 tiburon outlast a toyota :wiggle:

keep telling people dont buy new toyota, get a subaru or something

Ricksta
01-10-2006, 03:49 AM
hey man if your gonna do an insurance scam your best bet is not to tell anyone about it...lol......in the mean time........BURRY THAT BITCH!!!!

MoralWarfare
01-10-2006, 04:02 AM
7th gen ain't no fucking celica. Bummer news though mang, I hope all is well. You can't take care of the broken bolt yourself?

psyco13013
01-11-2006, 02:59 AM
I cant fix the bolt myself...its sheared off inside the engine. It has to be drilled out. I hear that the MRS has problems with its tranny because it shares one with the GT...What's up with Toyota? Did they decide that they dont need to build good cars anymore? And how far back do I need to look before its safe to buy a Toyota? '99? '95? When did they go wrong?

Ricksta
01-11-2006, 03:01 AM
when they made 7th gen....thats when they went wrong..lol

Luni
01-11-2006, 03:03 AM
Right around 99 for some, some of the newer ones are still good.. I guess it just depends.

And with the GTSs you sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, theres lots of people out there that HAVENT had many/any problems, on their 7th gen GTSs and have over 100k on the clock. Theres the people that have a grip of problems too.

It sucks for you that yours is being a pile.

MoralWarfare
01-11-2006, 03:33 AM
I cant fix the bolt myself...its sheared off inside the engine.
why don't you fix the problem yourself?

Punisher
01-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Man.. my 5th gen is fricken bullet proof. My 89 Corolla coupe was/maybe still is (don't know what current owner did with it and don't care) bullet proof..

Playfortoday
01-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Moving to general discussion...

calgaryalltrac
01-11-2006, 03:10 PM
I had a 2000 GTS for two years and loved it. I changed the lift bolts out and they were barely worn so I guess I got to them fast enough. You guys sure are ragging on this car but have you driven in one yet? I've owned five celicas now and so far the 2000 gts has been my favorite. I'm driving a 90 alltrac right now with only manual boost controller set a couple of psi higher than stock. Not even close on acceleration or fun factor when driving (yet). Sorry to hear about your luck but there are documents around taking you step by step through the process needed to get the broken lift bolt out of the engine. Look on newcelica.org - I'm pretty sure they have the toyota documents on there.

Playfortoday
01-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Give me the technical name of the components, and I can search the bulletins and procedures on toyota's techinfo site.

Lagos
01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
go to sears. they have lots of tools for extracting bolts that have snaped off.

we have a 1zz powered matrix. no problems with it at all so far, but it only has 30k on the clock.

psyco13013
01-12-2006, 01:58 AM
I'll look into sears...how do these products work? any idea what price range I'm lookin at?

85gtsblackman
01-12-2006, 02:05 AM
mostly 99 for everything else

for the camry it was 2001

for the solara it was 2002

the 4 runner was 02

edit: yeah we have a shitload of mr2s that come in as well with engine and trans issues