PDA

View Full Version : SHort shifter causing problems

Celicaboomsz
01-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I just recently installed a short shifter on my celica gt 2001, THe only problems is its to stiff and when i change my gears from 1st gear to second gear this weird noise happens, kind of like you can hear the tranny shuve the gear in into place, But it does not grind? ANyone have an idea

caneman
01-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I just recently installed a short shifter on my celica gt 2001, THe only problems is its to stiff and when i change my gears from 1st gear to second gear this weird noise happens, kind of like you can hear the tranny shuve the gear in into place, But it does not grind? ANyone have an idea
Where did you buy the shifter? eBay, TWM Performance, used/new? If it was purchased from TWM, give their tech line a call or send them an email. They're very efficient and are there to help. I have a TWM short shifter in my Gen5. No problems whatsoever. A joy to use.

If not TWM, then where did you get it? Did you use LOTS of white lithium grease on all friction points, especially in the plastic cups that the steel balls snap into? This is critical to the smooth operation. The shifters usually come with spacers (thick washers) that raise the assembly a little bit to change the geometry and make the shifting a little easier. Did yours come with them? Did you use them?

More info required and pics are always a help.

Celicaboomsz
01-09-2006, 10:41 PM
I got it from ebay it was also new, It was fairly cheap but works good just some little glitches here and there, I did not install it personally i paid a shop, BUt i know for sure they did install the spacers, I remember seeing the stock shifter and it did have lots of some sort of yellow thick gel i thick it was the grease, on the main steel ball, The new short shifter does not have as much grease as the old one.