PDA

View Full Version : Painting Engine Bay

kpdvx
01-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm eventually going to repaint my car and do a color change (it's a faded red now... I believe it's a color they call "pink" :-p ). I've got the engine out right now, and I was considering painting my engine bay. Problem is, there's a lot of shit to remove in order to do a good paint job. Since I didn't know what color I was going to paint the car yet (white, maybe blue, maybe black) I was just going to paint the engine bay a glossy black. There's just so much stuff to remove.... What are your thoughts/opinions on this? Those of you who did a color change, did you paint your engine bay, and if you didn't, does it bother you much? Any replies are appreciated, thanks guys.

PhillyDRFT
01-07-2006, 06:38 PM
having a blue car with a red engine bay will irritate you every time you pop the hood. its really not hard to do, just take a LOT of pictures of everything in there and the dissasembly. keep everything in order. paint the bay and if you did it all rite everything you took out will go right back in.

ocb_dave_ocb
01-07-2006, 09:06 PM
I tell you what yo could do that wouldnt look too bad.. Use a flat black under the hood.. and do the car w/e color you want

ScottGT-S
01-07-2006, 09:31 PM
the only colour I like under the hood is black. My car is white but I will eventually paint my engine bay black b4 i do the swap

PhillyDRFT
01-07-2006, 10:09 PM
oh yeah i didnt add that.. i ment to do the bay a neutral color like black or grey that way it will go with almost any color you want to paint your car. lol dave and scott got it though

kpdvx
01-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Well, I decided to paint mine black, but in a different way than I had originally intended. Before anyone says anything, let me just say that so far it looks good. Rather than pull everything out and spray it down with an HVLP gun, I opted to remove a section of parts, clean it and sand it, spray it with glossy black spray paint, let it dry, put the removed parts back on, section by section. This way I don't have to remove everything.

ocb_dave_ocb
01-09-2006, 01:58 AM
nothing wrong with that man

oh yeah.. NOW :worthless

kpdvx
01-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Gotta get batteries for the digital camera, and I'll have pics tomorrow :). Hrm, actually, here's a pic you guys might enjoy.

http://www.skylerslade.us/pictures/100_0033_small.jpg

Yes, A LOT of work is being done to her.

ocb_dave_ocb
01-09-2006, 03:12 AM
nice tool set

96celica
01-09-2006, 06:46 AM
if you go to the 6th gen forum and read my latest post...you'll see how far i've gone in removing pieces for an engine bay paint :)
needless to say, there isn't much left to remove from my car...at all