PDA

View Full Version : Discussion about LSD (telltale signs if you have it, etc)

Luni
01-07-2006, 12:16 AM
So I think my shitty tranny I bought has an aftermarket LSD unit in it. Ive been reading around and obviously the only real way to tell if you have it is to take it out and look at it, however thats not an option for me right now.

I was told that if you spin one tire and the other one spins with it, it is a telltale sign of LSD. I was also told however, that isnt, and the only REAL way to tell is if you brace ONE tire and try and spin the other one, if the one youre spinning doesnt spin (you feel resistance on the other side), that you have it.

Borinals MR2 has LSD for sure. It is a gen3 tranny, and it has LSD. You can tell by lookign at it, its an OEM LSD unit. My 95 MR2 tranny I have in Washington at 1slocelis house has an OEM LSD (I know cause I saw pictures of the pinion gears and it has the piece that tells you its LSD).

I know my tranny isnt OEM LSD cause I was able to use my stock 91 axles for it (youd have to switch the inner stubs to use the OEM lsd), but I cannot spin one side if the other is hung up. Ive done the spin the tires test and I laid 2 thick black patches. I cant spin one and see the other spin the opposite direction. I have every indication that I have an aftermarket LSD, but I wanted to see what you f00z thought about it. Just want to know any other telltale ways to tell if you have it.

Rayme
01-07-2006, 12:51 AM
if the other wheel doesnt spin in the other direction its either you're right or something is really not working as it should..haha

Sean
01-07-2006, 01:18 AM
I was told by Billwot, hmm I highly respect, that all of those methods are bullshit.

But, if you were to do the lay mark test, you need to do it a bit differently. I still dont think i would say for certain that you have LSD if this works or not.... But you need to lay one tire in some wetgrass, in the snow, or on some ice, then try to take off.....

hobbie2k
01-07-2006, 04:57 AM
I was told by Billwot, hmm I highly respect, that all of those methods are bullshit.

But, if you were to do the lay mark test, you need to do it a bit differently. I still dont think i would say for certain that you have LSD if this works or not.... But you need to lay one tire in some wetgrass, in the snow, or on some ice, then try to take off.....

...or do a lay down test with the steering wheel cranked to one side, it should light up the inside tire only if it's an open diff (but I think that test works better with a front driver).

Then again, I've seen a lot of open diff, standing burnouts and they've all laid down only one patch, so my guess is that you've got some kind of lsd in that tranny...

Lagos
01-07-2006, 06:15 AM
getting stuck in some snow would probably be a good way to tell. i always see none lsd fwd cars get stuck in the snow and just spin the one tire while the other one does nothing

Slider
01-07-2006, 06:41 AM
I'm with sean on the test. Lay one tire on a slippery surface grass, gravel or whatever, and the other one on dry asphalt. Do a good launch and if you're sitting in one spot then no lsd for you.

Luni
01-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Ive done the snow test guys. It spins both tires. I put one side on the ice and the other on the asphault and it takes off, it spins a little bit, but it still goes, and both tires have power... In the ice, with both sides down, it spins em both. And in the snow, I roostertail 2 huge plumes of snow.