PDA

View Full Version : Problems with cold start up....

BoneSTock91Celica
12-29-2004, 10:19 AM
well im consulting the manual right now im guessing the cold start injector is the culprit but juss looking for multiple opinions. Usually i can't start when the car is cold and after or during the rain here in Cali. It only happens when it rains the car does still have some trouble when its cold but as of today was the first time even though it rained and was fairly cold around 55 F that my car wouldn't start. My battery eventually died from all the starting up so i had to had someone to jump my car while i was constantly trying to restart my cold engine. So do you guys think mostly likely its the cold start injector if so how much are they? Ive got a 91 St 4afe thx guys

Hooligan
12-29-2004, 10:47 PM
So is this always a problem, usually a problem, or just sometimes a problem?

Have you removed your CSI to check/clean it?

BoneSTock91Celica
12-29-2004, 11:30 PM
sometimes a problem it struggles to start when its colder but it really has a hard time starting when it cold and raining

BoneSTock91Celica
12-29-2004, 11:31 PM
whats a csi?

Hooligan
12-29-2004, 11:38 PM
whats a csi?

Cold Start Injector.

I know it's right on the front of the intake manifold in the middle on 90-91 5SFE (92-93 don't have them). Not sure about any of the 4AFE though.

BoneSTock91Celica
12-30-2004, 01:01 AM
well i got it started i cleaned a lil bit of what appears to be the csi but the car didn't start right away it would start after 5 secs of start time then go into a "bog start" the die. After a few time i finally got it started then rev it to keep it from bogging out. But i noticed after i started it a lot of vapor/smoke came out of the back. since i said this problem usually happens when it rains im guessing water came out of the back so would that mean somehow someway water is getting inside the intake or tb or somethign of the sort?

elektrateq
12-30-2004, 05:19 AM
hmmmm. my 1990 ST 5afe has shitting starts on cold ass days too. Havn't noticed problems in the rain tho. So far it's always started. I'm gonna try some fuel injector cleaner.

Hooligan
12-30-2004, 05:23 AM
Yeah, it's definitely a good idea to ensure that the car is overall tuned up. If you haven't done a tuneup recently, do that too.

BoneSTock91Celica
12-30-2004, 09:12 AM
a major or minor tune-up by the manuals definition that is. im assuming a major would be inorder though....

Hooligan
12-30-2004, 04:22 PM
If you don't know when it was last done, I would check/replace plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, run a can of intake cleaner through the car, run a can of injector cleaner through the gas tank, and check the timing.

I can personally recommend SeaFoam for both the intake cleaner and injector cleaner.

T-spoon
12-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Make sure the cold start sensor is undamaged and plugged in as well, not sure about that on a 4afe, but on the 5sfe and 3sgte that's a sensor threaded into the upper coolant housing, has a few other things threaded into that housing too, like engine temp sensor etc.

COLDAX
01-03-2005, 07:22 PM
sounds like a cracked or damaged distributor cap. moisture is drawn into the cap and causes problems. it's often a hairline crack that you can't see. remove the cap and inspect it - check the metal points inside for excessive wear too. I'll bet that changing the cap and rotor will fix it. check the ingnition coil wire also for cracks and wear.

BoneSTock91Celica
02-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Im ressurecting this thread. Anys so ive replaced the dist cap, wires and rotor and im still having problems in the rain. I got lucky today after maybe 15+ sec of total cranking time. I was barely able to start it in the rain today. But same symptoms after it starts until it get at regular operation temperature the car bogs on revving and more than usual smog comes out of the exhaust. Any other ideas?