PDA

View Full Version : Seized Brake Caliper.

angryyoungnpoor
01-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Alright.. so I've got this caliper. We're not sure if it's seized or not. We can't get it open enough to go over the rotor, yet when we got the car the brake pads were on the rotor.. it's kinda confusing, but yeah.. what are the signs of a seized caliper?

Oh, and.. I need a wheel bearing. I've got some nice wheel movement. 1sttoyotaparts.com is quoted at 50 for two. I only need one. Perhaps I'll hit up napa tomorrow or something.

Galcobar
01-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Seized caliper? Won't move.

Three possible points of seizure, of course. The two bolts or the sleeves into which they insert, or the piston.

The piston, assuming you've got it disconnected from the brake line, can be pressed back into the bore with a C-clamp. If a C-clamp cannot move the piston, it's seized. I've yet to find a practical way to release a seized piston, and resort to a professional rebuild if it happens.

Since you've got the caliper off the other car, the bolts are obviously not seized. The sleeves/bushings are a pain to get out, but I found vigourous use of a hammer worked well -- hammer the bolt head, forcing the sleeve to move and thus breaking the seizure.

david in germany
01-04-2006, 09:21 AM
A c clamp will move the piston if it is hooked up to the lines or not. If a c clamp won't move it, replace or rebuild.

angryyoungnpoor
01-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Ok.. so if it does move, that means it's not seized, and that I don't have to rebuild it..

If it is seized I'll just get one from the junk yard.

Luni
01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
My MR2 has a semi siezed caliper on it. It sticks after I brake, and it pulsates in the front. It also warps the rotor and makes my steering wheel vibrate too.

alltracman78
01-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Damn shitty ass Jap cars....

You are not getting 2 OEM wheel bearings for $50.....
One, maybe.

angryyoungnpoor
01-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Damn shitty ass Jap cars....

You are not getting 2 OEM wheel bearings for $50.....
One, maybe.

Yup, you're right. Why the hell are they so expensive?

Either way I picked one up from autozone. It should work.

One less thing to worry about.

This mixed with rebuilding the whole car and helping a friend do a civic swap, recording a full length and two demos, and maintaining my regular job.. There's just not enough time in the day.