PDA

View Full Version : to warm up or not to warm up

k2skater
12-29-2004, 03:24 AM
how many of you warm up your car on these cold days ? whats some pros and cons to warm up your car ? like does that 5 min really make a big difference ?

Blackcloud
12-29-2004, 05:05 AM
every time its cold

she kicks off high idle at roughly 5 min every time

imac
12-29-2004, 04:01 PM
the time/gas you lose warming your car up for a couple minutes is worth it for the life of the engine. if it isnt warmed up you will put a lot more wear on the engine for the first few minutes until it is warm. i only warm it for about 2 min then drive it easy for the first few min out every day, and that seems to work fine for me. but if you have the time i would say warming it up is the way to go.

ps - my car sits the nites in a garage so its not too cold when i start it.

EvilSpeeder
12-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Unless it's a 'built' motor you should just be able to drive it gently for the first few miles until the oil is up to temp. Motors that are highly modified might need some idle time to get everything up to temp and get the clearances where they should be.

jai
12-29-2004, 07:15 PM
There is misconception between warnup and free ideling. Warmup = 45-90 seconds of time to get the fluids moving. Ideling is when you sitting waiting for the temp controls to roll to the lowest levels of your temp guage. I start the car, remove my wallet, tune the music (usually its Npr), and by that time 45-60 seconds have passed.

Rick89GTS
12-29-2004, 07:19 PM
I usually give my ST165 45-60 seconds warm and then drive gently (no boost) for the next few miles. My ST162 needs only 20 seconds before I drive it, again, gently.

Luni
12-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Yeah warmup is worthless. Just drive it very gently until the temp gauge is where it should be. Thats warmup.

The problem with warming it up is while your engine is warming up your transmission is not, so you take off thinking its all good, but your tranny is still cold as fuck. Just drive it nicely and let them both warmup.

Trance4c
12-29-2004, 07:50 PM
I always let mine warm up prior to driving.. I don't care what anyone says about it or what the temperature is outside, it has to be at operating temp before I'll move. Just my own personal choice, doesn't mean you have to do that.. just I feel best doing it.

spoolin_gt
12-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Yeah warmup is worthless. Just drive it very gently until the temp gauge is where it should be. Thats warmup.

The problem with warming it up is while your engine is warming up your transmission is not, so you take off thinking its all good, but your tranny is still cold as fuck. Just drive it nicely and let them both warmup.

i agree w/ luni...i see alot of people w/ remote starters start up their car a few mins. before they drive it...and once they drive....they see that the temp is back to normal and they drive it hard not knowing that their tranny is not warmed up....

Hooligan
12-29-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm with Clayton (altough I don't let it warm fully most of the time). It's worth the extra gas to me to ensure that there is oil throughout the engine and that it's heated enough to flow into everywhere that it should.

85gtsblackman
12-29-2004, 10:46 PM
yeah when i drive home from work at night ill let my car warm for 2 mins then ill drive easy the rest of the way home pretty much. The distance from work to my house is 8 miles and i gotta go though 1 stop light, and the speed limit is 60 the whole way. so i just get up to 60 and cruise home.

my trans on the other hand either wont go into gear or grind if i try to shift fast, sometimes even normal it will grind, kinda sucks when i gotta get up on the highway from work. Like when i gotta go into town , i gotta shift really slow.

k2skater
12-29-2004, 10:53 PM
o ok . i was lookin forward to get a remote start but i cant because i have a manual i dont see what the problem is if u have the car in neutral. but yea ill let it have a minute then ill drive it lightly. since i know the previous owner prob didnt wawrm it up the years he had it. since he lives with me and he dosent warm his car up

spoolin_gt
12-30-2004, 01:38 AM
who says that you can't get a remote start w/ manual car???....

i dont mean drive it right away...what i meant to say was to start it up..let it idle for a bit..then drive off...but not drive it hard....or let it idle for 5 mins or so...and think tha tyour car is ready for war....when i owned a 1.8t golf...the pepole from the dealership actually told me to drive off and not let it sit there...

Hooligan
12-30-2004, 01:49 AM
To get a remote start system with a manual car, you need to permanently bridge the clutch safety switch loop and keep the relay closed all of the time. You also need to leave the car in neutral. Both are doable, but neither are particularly safe.

Slider
12-30-2004, 03:46 AM
When it's warm I just let it idle for 10 seconds, probably a little more as I put on the seatbelt and choose a CD and drive gently. If it's below freezing or when my idle kicks up really high, I let it idle for a few minutes (2-3) then off I go, driving gently before it warms up. It even tells you to do that in the owners manual. And by gently I mean no more than 50% throttle and keeping RPMs below 3500.

k2skater
12-30-2004, 03:55 AM
well the store wont install it due to the fact that its manual so thats why i said that you cant im sure you can install it yourself.

schmooot
12-30-2004, 04:15 AM

Also the whole time your car is sitting there idling there is next to nothing oil pressure, meaning your top-end is underlubricated. So a minute or two is fine, lettin it sit until the heater is blowin hot and all the windows are defogged is not

EvilSpeeder
12-30-2004, 04:33 AM
Also the whole time your car is sitting there idling there is next to nothing oil pressure, meaning your top-end is underlubricated. So a minute or two is fine, lettin it sit until the heater is blowin hot and all the windows are defogged is not

There's more than enough oil pressure. If there isn't in your motor, you've got a problem.

AutobotCelica
01-02-2005, 03:04 AM
I let my car warm up for a while, but that's only because it's -45 degrees celcius outside sometimes.

Elektr0de
01-02-2005, 03:39 AM
ive got a remote start on my manual, it is possible. Its illegal for a shop to install it for you tho.. so you need to know someone or go to a shady shop where they dont follow the law :D

Arcias
01-02-2005, 07:26 AM
well the store wont install it due to the fact that its manual so thats why i said that you cant im sure you can install it yourself.

You'll have to get a starter that has a "reservation mode".

It's kind of a pain, but it's the only real safe way to hook up a remote starter on a car with a manual tranny. Basically, it works by making sure the car is in neutral before starting the car, it uses a proactive method to ensure this. When you park the car and take out the key, the engine will remain running. You leave the car without touching the brake or clutch pedals and close the door behind you. The engine will shut off. The car is now in reservation mode. If you have power locks and an alarm, you can program the starter to lock the doors and arm the alarm too. If you touch the brake or clutch pedals, while the engine is still running after you take the key out, the engine will stop and the car won't be in reservation mode, so you won't be able to use the remote starter.

I don't know how the wiring works, but I know it has something to do with the door, brake, clutch and handbrake sensors along with a couple relays, since I heard clicking when I used the starter in the car once to see what happened.

GT4SOM
01-04-2005, 04:00 AM
Not me, I get in turn the key and go. I'll most likely warm it up for a minute then just drive gently once I get my swap in.

Rayme
01-04-2005, 04:18 AM
I dont know why no one mentionned the sound of the engine.
if I just start my car (and my mom's 2002 corolla) and just drive of the engine really doesnt sound the same as when its warm, it usually takes 2-3 minutes until the engine sounds kinda "normal". I know the corolla's 1zz-fe vavle ticks like theres no tomorrow when cold :O

Schmleff
01-05-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't really warm up my celica, but that subaru I do. Driving a turbo car with oil temps in the teens is a great way to kill the turbo. It does not matter if your gauge shows boost or not, its still spinning with little oil.

Rick89GTS
01-07-2005, 08:14 AM
I don't really warm up my celica, but that subaru I do. Driving a turbo car with oil temps in the teens is a great way to kill the turbo. It does not matter if your gauge shows boost or not, its still spinning with little oil.

Hmmm, never thought about it that way before.
Any others want to chime in on this notion?

Blackcloud
01-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Not me, I get in turn the key and go. I'll most likely warm it up for a minute then just drive gently once I get my swap in.

you live in florida.. it never gets cold there........ :slap:

Mr E
01-07-2005, 09:58 AM

It's spinning sitting still too.

Fire her up, allow 60 seconds or so for the GPS to get a lock and various other bits to sort themselves out. Cruise gently for a few miles until water temps are up. Then wait for oil temps to come up.

Then nail the hell out of it.

Rick89GTS
01-07-2005, 07:24 PM
....Driving a turbo car with oil temps in the teens is a great way to kill the turbo. It does not matter if your gauge shows boost or not, its still spinning with little oil.

I agree with Mr. E.
There should be enough oil pressure to lubricate the turbo at idle.
After all, Toyota instructs you to idle your car for a minute or so after heavy driving. I just don't hammer it until everything's nice and hot. :hehe:

Abacaba
01-09-2005, 06:28 AM
I thought Toyota Manuals say to warm the car up for 10sec., but drive slowly until car is at operating temperatures. Then you can drive normally.

Luni
01-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Yep Akshay has it.

Any way you look at it, physics are against you if you sit there and idle your car forever. You are putting wear on the engine.. Think about it, youre idling it, the oil pressure isnt optimal, the oil isnt heating up as fast, you have no load on it, so its not building heat as fast, but you are still spinning the engine... It just makes sense to idle long enough to get things started, but just drive it nicely till it warms up. Thats how I do mine, thats how Ive always done it. Makes more sense to me.