PDA

View Full Version : Tech question about 3S-FE (Dr.Tweak?....anybody?)

Dr.Auto
12-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Now what I'm dealing with is a 88 camry all-trac with a blown 3S-FE (manual). I'm trying to locate a engine but everyone wants to know weather its a 6-bolt or 8-bolt crank (flywheel mounting bolts). I've never had to deal with this topic being under the assumtion based upon past experiance that just about all the 3S-FE, 3S-GE, 5S-FE engines were fairly the same regarding flywheels and interchangability with the transaxles. But using the vin# and calling by buddy at Toyota in the parts dept he tells me that there's something differant about the 9/87-1988 year engines (3S-FE) and they all use 6-bolt.

I'm just wondering if anyone has anymore experiance with this? Can I still use a 8-bolt if I use the flywheel from an 8-bolt? I would imagine so. I seam to remember all the "S" series engines that I've worked on having 8-bolt cranks. But I've never really payed too much attention never having a interchangability problem like this....... anyone have anymore info?

4thgenceli
12-27-2005, 05:15 PM
My 89 GT 3sfe has a 6bolt flywheel/crank.

I'm just wondering if anyone has anymore experiance with this? Can I still use a 8-bolt if I use the flywheel from an 8-bolt?

That confuses me. Maybe I just read it wrong.. but I was under the impression that you can't use a 6bolt crank with a 8bolt flywheel, or vice versa. Again, I've never worked on the 3sge(which I belive has the 8bolt crank/flyweel right?).

Again.. that's somewhat what I know.. give me a few hrs and I'm sure I can turn something else up.

Dr.Auto
12-27-2005, 05:39 PM
no I was wondering if the 6-bolt to 8-bolt had any more differances too. Like if I can't find a 6-bolt....can I use a 8-bolt (engine)with a 8-boltflywheel and pressure plate and all. And I was wondering differances in 8-bolt vs 6-bolt clutch parts and interchangability ect. I'm just thinking that if the 6-bolt is "rare" then what will I be needing to deal with if I try to install a 8-bolt in it's place.

4thgenceli
12-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Heh.. I have a 3sfe engine you can have(but I don't have the shit to pull it out). 3sfe w/ 178 on the clock(think it has rod knock though). 6bolt(flywheel was just machined 6mths ago.. drove for 1000 miles).

I don't think that it will matter(6 or 8bolt). I think that the main issue would be with if the flywheel was larger or something to that effect.

Dr Tweak
12-28-2005, 04:41 AM
As long as you use the flywheel that goes with your engine, you should be all set. The only other possibly difference is the diameter, but I do not think it will be different.

-Doc