PDA

View Full Version : removing axle from hub

magik06
12-25-2005, 05:54 AM
My axle that was sent to me for my 4agze swap had the hub connected to it, i tried to remove it by hammer, and it is stuck, it will not budge. does anyone have any ideas/tricks to get this removed, or should i take it to a driveshaft shop and see what they can do.

Dr Tweak
12-25-2005, 06:03 AM
I'm assuming that the hub nut has been removed. You can actually attach a gear puller to it, if I recall correctly.

-Doc

magik06
12-25-2005, 06:08 AM
yea everything is off from it, but it will not budge out

Dr Tweak
12-25-2005, 06:09 AM
I think that if you get yourself a steering wheel puller or harmonic dampener (crank pulley) puller, you can press it out with that.

-Doc

Rick89GTS
12-25-2005, 06:13 PM
They tend to sieze in the hub. Gear puller works well if you can get it on there. But if you don't have one, give it some PB Blaster and tap it (gently!) with a brass punch or wood block.

Weasy2k
12-25-2005, 09:31 PM
if you dont mind replacing the bearing in the hub i would put the axle nut on and screw it in a bit until the center of the axle is equal to the face of the nut so you dont smash the threads on the axle in, then get some penitrnet spray that isnt flammable...(moovit is what i use) and spray it on the hub where the nut was.....wait about 1 min then get a torch and heat up the axle stub a bit....pull out a brass punch and a hammer and give it a few whacks....redo this a few times and it will come out....

or you can get (as suggested) a puller that will fit around the hub and push on that bad boy...it should come out

but

if it doesnt...

time for air tools...
get a air hammer and find the must blunt bit you can get so it doenst fuck up the axle...get a piece of steel to go over the axle stub so you again dont damage it and fire away.