PDA

View Full Version : I drove the Solstice

InitialD93
12-24-2005, 08:30 AM
It is truely a beautiful car in person :D I had my name on a waiting list at my local dealer and one came in today and i got a call to come see it. The biggest complaint i could make about the car looks wise is the mass of flat plastic on the dashboard, but then again that looks very similar to a MKIV supra... go figgure :twisted:

Quite possibly one of the best handling cars i have ever driven in stock form, steering is tight and is actually quite heavy. its not too rough but feels firm and assuring with those big tires and wheels. Gear box is nice but of course suffers from the rubbery feel that most modern manuals have, nice for driving in town and cruising, not so great when you start ripping the gears, but the syncros were pretty good.

now for the bad

the roof was very fiddly to opperate and hard to get up and down. it has 2 buttresses the extend to the trunk that pop open everytime the trunk is popped and have to be snapped back into place. The trunk usually took 2-3 tries to get it to close. that is if you can even call it a trunk... even with the roof up i would say that an overnight bag would be the maximum storage compacity for that thing, with the roof down the storage goes to nill.

the 2.4L Ecotec engine feels like a single over head cam honda engine without VTEC... it is extremely underpowered for the car as i was ripping gears 1-3 at WOT and it didnt even sit me back in my seat. The engine also has a very metalic sound, it sounds strong but its not a deep rumble like a toyota engine its very raspy. Storage within the car was also lacking.. i found about 6 places in the interior that could have accomidated a storage bin but none was given. The cup holder comes out from behind your elbow... completely unaccessable... seems like a major after thought. There is no ashtray anywhere that i could find. the CD player/Radio is awkward and not very ergonomic, but im sure i could adjust to it. But at this level ($30,000) in a GM car it should come with standard XM radio which this one did not have. Rear visability is extremely compromised with the top up and still not all that great even with the top down.

so in conclusion

an absolutely beautiful car in person, build quality of the frame and body seemed rather well made as the car was firm and handled well with little drama. Interior felt cheep and wasted lots of good storage space possibilities as well as being largely useless as far as the utility of it. Rear visibility was always poor with top up or down. Engine would be better suited to a lawn mower, but the tranny was nice. Best handling stock car ive ever driven. if you are 6 foot tall or taller dont even bother... you wont fit in it with the top up and with the top down your head will be above the windshield. also if you like alot of open space in your car this is not for you... i felt like the car was giving me a bear hug the entire time i was in it.

If you still fancy one of these i suggest one of 3 things...
(1)wait for the Turbo model to come out next year making 250HP rather than the puny 170 the NA car makes
(2)Try out the Saturn Sky instead as it appears to be more upscale with its interior and roof design
(3)atleast wait for them to come down in price because for what it costs it is more of a sunday cruiser than a Miata thrasher, and sitting in the exact same price range as a new EVO i think that money can be better spent elsewhere.

http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/9-18242-396264-13788/PONTIAC_SOLSTICE_INTERIOR.jpg
http://auto.consumerguide.com/images/autoreview/400x266/2006-Pontiac-Solstice-06129511990002.JPG

tuner
12-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Nice Review InitialD93. This car sounds pretty lame, The look doesn't really appeal to me either.

Weasy2k
12-27-2005, 09:05 AM
yea hte look doesnt really appeal to me as well...nice to see that gm makes sporty cars still :( comon toyota :(

Rayme
12-30-2005, 04:15 PM
The price is more like 20 000$ than 30 000$. So I wouldn't expect anything exceptionnal.
Of all the reviews I read I must agree with you about the engine, its just a more powerful cavalier engine after all, and I have yet to hear a GM 4 cylinder that sounds "great". ;)

BTW I just love my roomates miata, its such a awesome car.

InitialD93
12-30-2005, 04:49 PM
the MSRP is arround $20,000 but go walk into a dealer... they told me $29,500

Playfortoday
12-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Same hing happened with the PT Cruiser. Given time, they will be giving these things away. This is nothing more than a Sunday Cruiser as D said.

Put your money on a MazdaSpeed Miata if you want performance and handling together.

Weasy2k
12-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Put your money on a MazdaSpeed Miata if you want performance and handling together.

that i agree with :bigthumbu

4thgenceli
12-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Same hing happened with the PT Cruiser. Given time, they will be giving these things away. This is nothing more than a Sunday Cruiser as D said.

OR...

like I"m doin..(just put down 2k).

A 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 :)

KM's Bug Finder
01-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Evo 8 is around $27K or so depending on the options. Evo 9 depending on the options can run around $29-31k . I'd wait till this fall and buy an 2006 Evo 9 if i were you they are hell of allot more particular than a 2 door.

*Bought an EVO 8 this past november and I love it. Electric blue FTW :bigthumbu
http://img111.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=b31e8_DSCF0072.JPG