PDA

View Full Version : quick question....

AllOutRed90
12-21-2005, 03:21 AM
So im going on a long trip, i made the same trip during easter and managed fine. Im going from minnesota to kansas, and then maybe from kansas to texas, then all the way back to minnesota.... I made the trip to kansas and back last year, and only used 50$ in gas, i squeezed out like 50 mpg somehow too.....

Anyways im up to 219,000 miles, and wondering what kind of maintenance i should do before i go this time? Im thinking, oil change, and check all fluids.... The spark plugs are new, and so is the radiator and starter.... so i cant think of anything that could be broken while driving this long long trip....

any suggestions?

ocb_dave_ocb
12-21-2005, 03:35 AM
make sure to check out your tire pressure make sure to have some tools in case... and a blanket in case it decided to break down.. Have some spare oil and other fluids....

dan93st
12-21-2005, 03:47 AM
Windshield washer fluid. I made the trip home from school last week, 160 miles. Even tho it's a relatively short trip, I always check oil, air pressure, etc. before leaving. Well, I didn't check windshield washer fluid, didn't seem very vital, and of course I ran out halfway home. It was rather annoying given the amount of salt residue on the road. Not that it was doing much good anyway, as the roads were still icy as heck, and my only went sideways about 5 times. Scary driving. But yeah, just be prepared for the worst, that way you have all your bases covered.

AllOutRed90
12-21-2005, 04:19 AM
Yeap, ill have all spair fluids with me. Radiator, transmission, engine oil, washer fluid, Power steering fluid, and brake fluid (i have a couple tiny leaks in brake and PS) Aswell i will have blankets and pillows with as i will need them once i get to my destination....

Im checking everything before i leave, and im getting in some fresh Oil..... Im thinking about the fuel filter, but its cold out....

Dr.Auto
12-21-2005, 05:12 AM
How's your timing belt? Don't want that to break on you

COLDAX
12-21-2005, 05:56 AM
Check the air filter. And battery, especially with the cold

AllOutRed90
12-21-2005, 01:32 PM
My battery is still good, and i put fresh air filters on right before winter....

as for the timing belt, how often are you supposed to replace it? and what parts do i need?

trickedout420
12-22-2005, 03:15 AM
My battery is still good, and i put fresh air filters on right before winter....

as for the timing belt, how often are you supposed to replace it? and what parts do i need?

well i just replaced mine at 164k miles and my mech told me i coulda made it another 50k or so on it...but you are suppose to change it every 60-80k miles along with your waterpump

AllOutRed90
01-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Ok well im back after 2 weeks.... wow it was fun....

I went to kansas which is a 8 hour drive, like 500 miles.... Made it there no prob.
... stayed there for a week, i put my car in someones garage, then i headed to texas for 3 or 4 days with my gf and her parents....We went to south padre island with her uncle and the 90 degree weather felt good...

we came back, and it was 5 in the morning, the day i was going to leave.... i got my car out.... filled up gas.... bought some energy drink and chips.... and headed out on my way.... 10 miles down the highway i had a blowout... my tire was completely gone... haha damn.... So yeah i sat on the highway called my gf's parents and they game and got us.... the next day we went to shop after shop getting towing and tire quotes.... we went to one and they quote 217$.... that was flatbed towed, 1 broken lugnut removed and new tire.....

my lugnut was bad or else i would not have towed the car.....

So now i have one kumho ecsta supra 712 wheel and the rest are the cheap shitty ones that will prolly blow out soon lol.... im about to purchase 3 new tires to matcht he kumho's and mount those on.....

I didnt change my oil, or check any fluids except oil...... i am now at 220179 after all the driving.... Great drive and had some fun.....

celica's are very reliable.... I was going to go to texas with my car too, but they talked me into riding with them,,,

ocb_dave_ocb
01-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Cool good to hear the trip went well.. BEFORE YOU BUY 3 more of those tires check out www.tires-easy.com They have good prices on there tires..
-Dave

AllOutRed90
01-08-2006, 05:39 PM
ok i just checked there, they are 7 dollars more there, then they are at tire rack lol.....