PDA

View Full Version : Problems with shifting, please help...

smbius
12-27-2004, 07:49 PM
I haven't had to much problems shifting between each gears until now. Lately the car's been dealing with really cold temp and rain, I can hear the gears grind when my rev matching is slightly less than perfect. In addition, moving the shift lever feels completely stiff. Can someone tell me if this is a syncro problem? If so, how much was it to replace it?

I'm really annoyed with my car right now. I just need it to get me to work at this point.

Rad

Blackcloud
12-27-2004, 09:01 PM
does it still do it when its warmed up?

smbius
12-27-2004, 09:22 PM
Yes it does. I keep the engine idle for almost 4 minutes before driving. The engine shakes hard when I'm easing off the clutch as well (which also maybe a different problem altogether). Do you think it would help moving/copying this post to the maintenance/troubleshooting section?

Sean
12-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Fluids at low temperatures are more viscous then fluids at a higher temperature. Our syncros suffer from lack of rotation due to way to thick gear oils that most users have in their transmission.

Switch your tranmission fluid out to, some royal purple stuff, some redline stuff, some penzoil or GM syncromesh, or some Dexron 3 ATF fluid. The cold temperatures are making your tranny fluid more sluggish, which is making it more difficult for your transmission to shift.

Psyko
12-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Well, when i drive my car in the cold i let it warm up, but that doesnt mean that the oil in the gear box is warm. I usually shift before 3 grand when its cold so it puts less stress and warms the oil up... How many miles on the car, and when was the last time you changed the fluid in the gear box?

smbius
12-27-2004, 10:43 PM
220,000+ miles.

I really really hope it is just the gear oil. I'm only doubting this because the last time I changed my gear oil was a little more than a year ago - the same time I changed my clutch. The gear oil I'm currently using is this...

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=58

One of the reasons I chose this oil was because of fluid protection down to -50F (-46C)...well...at least that's what it claims to say. I will go ahead and try different gear oil and get back to you all. Thanks again for all your help guys. <Crosses fingers>

Sean
12-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Do this for me, try some dexron 3 ATF fluid, and report back. Check your manual, notice it reccomends it, as well as for NA mr2's, and on the camry NA manual it also reccomends this ;)

Good luck mate, it just might be time for a rebuild.

nvusgt
12-28-2004, 12:54 AM
ya quick question as well about the subject. I see you recommended dexron, which is given in the manual, but what fluid is better?

Is there one in particular that works better with this problem that plagues 5thgenners?

Sean
12-28-2004, 02:18 PM
I used dexron in my swap for about 3 years, great stuff! Thats gotta say something right there....

Currently using Penzoil syncromesh in the mr2 tranny, also seems to be great stuff.

ibanezgfx
12-28-2004, 06:30 PM
i have no problems with pennzoil synchromesh
honestly if you have 220k+, it might be time for the rebuild

undecided
12-29-2004, 05:44 AM
redline mt90 works great in the cold for me, my tranny used to grind it the cold b4 i used it, but my car is only a baby, it has 136k

KoreanJoey
12-29-2004, 05:13 PM
i have no problems with pennzoil synchromesh
honestly if you have 220k+, it might be time for the rebuild

Actually you'd be best off finding a 6th gen celi tranny and putting that thing in.

smbius
12-30-2004, 08:30 PM
UPDATE:

My Celica has turned to shit.

Changing the transmission fluid/oil didn't do much. During my work's lunchtime, I bought some redline MT90 at the Razo store and I drove to the oil changer station to get the gear oil changed. On the way back to work, the shifting was still stiff. Rev matching no longer existed on my car. I normally engage the clutch between 2500-3500 RPM. I would have to break 5000 RPM but then the car continued to struggle! Miraculously I was able to get back to work but unfortunately miracles don't work right after another.

On the way home, the shifting got progressively worse. I had to break 6000-7000 RPM to shift and that's when the car started cruising to its death after only 1 mile of driving (@ Zanker Rd for all you San Jose people). I tried to start the car...twice...but it just made a high pitched whining noise. I felt I totally fucked up this car. Opened the hood and smelt burnt rubber...all in the rain. I called the towing dude and he tows the celi to a honest shop.

The next day, I got a call from the shop telling me the timing belt's teeth is gone. A friend from work drove me to the shop and the mechanic opened the timing belt cover. After lunch, the shop calls me at work and tells me the timing belt is changed and everything's done. My GF then picks me up from work and we went to the shop to get the car. The mechanic changed the water pump, and my timing belt tensioner as well...all for $390 (parts + labor). When I drove the car from the shop expecting problems with shifting, the shifting was easy. The mechanic couldn't explain anything really since they didn't drive the car before/after repair. Anyone want to take a guess why this is? I'd like Dr. Auto's assessment.

Anyway, there are more problems again. I live near SF where there are hills and on the way to work my clutch was slipping bad from all of that high reving crap so I'm going to have enjoy the burnt smells until I do a clutch change...again. I drove my car back to my house and stole my bro's 7th gen to go to work. My car has been pissing me off lately.

SilverCel
12-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Damn man that sounds rough. At least now you can throw in something nicer

Trance4c
12-31-2004, 01:04 AM
have you checked to make sure the shifter forks aren't bent? There is also a small square metal piece that is only held in by a pin and the aposing fork. If they are not lined up well.. bad shifting can result.

workinprogress
12-31-2004, 03:16 AM
Thats some seriously bad stuff man i definately would have said it was the fluid because my brother has a 93 cavalier and he always gets that problem during winter and it sux, but i hope you get it figured out!