PDA

View Full Version : Car Won't Start, Help ASAP

CruisinIL
12-20-2005, 03:20 AM
i went out to go to school this morning and got in my car and tried to start it. all i got was it turning over but would not start up. i've got a half a tank of gas so its not out of gas, battery has plenty of charge, tried jumping it, didn't work....

any ideas?

alltracman78
12-20-2005, 03:27 AM
Spray someting flammible in the throttle body and see if it starts.
Try brake cleaner/starting fluid/carb cleaner.

If it starts and dies, it's not getting fuel.
If it won't start it's not getting spark.
If it starts and stays running, problem solved.
At least for now.

CruisinIL
12-20-2005, 03:34 AM
its really cold here, do you think i could have got some condesation in my lines and froze it up?

Dr.Auto
12-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Mant things are possible.......a mouse could have got trapped in the throttle body.

Sorry I am not psychic, and cannot tell you exactly what is wrong without looking at it. But can help you diagnose it.......... but you will have to diagnose it.

The main three things you need (in a simplified version) is fuel, compression, and spark. Could the fuel lines be frozen and it's not getting fuel......yes. But that's alot of water to completly freeze the fuel line. Typically is will just causse very bad drivability concerns before and if it freezes.

You can spray carb cleaner or something in a vacuum port and see if it fires up. If it does you know you aren't getting fuel........ but if it doesn't start up you can't assume that you are or aren't getting fuel either. You need to isolate the problem. Test for spark to the spark plugs. If you have spark and it doesn't start up with a remote fuel source then do you have compression?

What does it sound like when it cranks? Does it crank faster than usual? It is not uncommon for a car with a old timing belt in cold weather to just break without warning. A broken timing belt will totally loose your compression and the engines ability to breath air and fuel. And it will crank much faster than usual. You can pull back the timing cover and inspect the timing belt...make sure it turns the cam pulley when cranked. Try these steps first and if you can't get anywhere just holler :bigthumbu

CruisinIL
12-20-2005, 07:42 PM
im not that great with engines, could you point me in the direction of a vaccuum port i could spray some carb cleaner in, and what's the best way to check for spark in the plugs

EDIT: man i hate reading posts where the author sounds like a retard that doesn't know what they're doing...i guess im a little hipocritical

CruisinIL
12-23-2005, 04:53 AM
UPDATE: turns out it was the ignition coil, did a little searching and found out this could be the problem, replaced it and all is good, thanks for the help