PDA

View Full Version : i cant remove the spark plugs

skreem
12-27-2004, 02:31 AM
i went to change my spark plugs today and i cant remove the old ones. either i have the wrong size spark plug socket or they're stripped. i'm using a 5/8" spark plug socket that fit the bosch plugs i was planning on putting in. what size plugs could be in my engine now?

GT4SOM
12-27-2004, 03:23 AM
Could be that they have seized up on you. Have you tried some of the liquid wrench stuff? or some wd40. What have you tried?

skreem
12-27-2004, 03:47 AM
they havent seized to my knowledge but i cant get a hold of them with the socket. like the socket is too big or something. i think i just need a smaller socket.

skreem
12-27-2004, 03:51 AM
do you think a 3/4 or 13/16 spark plug could be in there?

Dr.Auto
12-27-2004, 05:36 AM
You might want to inspect your spark plug wires and see if there are little rubber boots on the very bottom of them. If not then they are probibly stuck in the spark plugs tubes. Look down th etubes and make sure there is nothing keeping the socket from going onto the plug. a 5/8 socket should be the right one. And sorry to have to say this after you already have the spark plugs, but Bosch plugs suck really bad in toyota's. NGK is the way to go or ND.

Aust162
12-27-2004, 07:54 AM
And sorry to have to say this after you already have the spark plugs, but Bosch plugs suck really bad in toyota's. NGK is the way to go or ND.

YES! i agree NGK , ND are the best for toyota's.
And yeah,it sounds like the socket isn't reaching to the bottom..

skreem
12-27-2004, 11:17 PM
yeah it was the rubber boots from the wires. a friend of mine took em out with a wire hanger and we got some new wires also.

85gtsblackman
12-29-2004, 02:23 AM
yeah i took my rubber boots off

Blackcloud
12-29-2004, 05:37 AM
when all else fails.... use a bigger hammer..

85gtsblackman
12-30-2004, 04:53 AM
if u must keep the boots then do what my friend did and spray sum pb blaster in the tubes

Rio_Cyber
01-17-2005, 08:18 AM
when all else fails.... use a bigger hammer..

:liar:

u use the biggest hamer u have , not the next bigger.

btw. im using NGK BPR6E11 (MADE IN JAPAN :wiggle: ) sparks on a 95/98 octne fuel, and im very happy with them. :bowdown:

ibanezgfx
01-17-2005, 04:27 PM
my friends boots came off on his celica. it took us like 3 hours to just change some fuckin plugs and wires. it was annoyign

TRDmkII
01-18-2005, 04:23 AM
i always use a long pair of needle nose to get the rubber ends off..

Punisher
01-18-2005, 01:17 PM
That's the point of putting dielectric grease into the tubes..

Apostle
03-15-2005, 01:31 AM
hey guys, good thing i found this thread before i started a new one, im having the same problem. I bought NGK spark plug wires/spark plugs. I went to pepboys with one of my spark plugs, and found the perfect fit, a 5/8 socket. The spark plug wires themselves were a bitch to get out, usually on other cars they come right off, i even broke one getting it out. Anyway I can see the spark plug in the tube, but the socket doesnt seem to click onto it. The hell is going on?

skreem
03-15-2005, 04:52 AM
longer extension maybe?

Punisher
03-15-2005, 07:48 PM
This is pathetic.. if you guys can't fuckin change spark plugs with out a god damn write up you seriously need to take your cars to a good mechanic.

Look at the spark plugs you just bought.. Now look down the spark plug tube on the engine.. do you see the old spark plugs? Now is there ANYTHING stuck to the spark plug on the top.. Do you see ANYTHING on it that makes the old spark plug look different from the new one?

Also if you didn't get a spark plug socket it'll be harder to pull the plug out once it is loose.. because a spark plug socket has a rubber insert inside which grips the spark plug head.

carlosfandango
03-15-2005, 08:13 PM
you need a 16mm extended plug socket afaik. well forget size, it just has to be extended.

Ive never had the same issue - evar.

Apostle
03-16-2005, 02:10 AM
i have an extension, im just saying when i put the socket w/extension down the tube it wont click onto my original spark plug in the tube, but it clicks onto my new NGK one. No there is nothing in the way, the spark plug that is in the tube looks fine. I know this sounds sad, but i've changed plugs and wires before but this is the first time i've encountered a problem.

Trance4c
03-16-2005, 02:26 AM

I wouldn't say this is the smartest idea either smart-O

slvrblt
03-16-2005, 03:00 AM
make sure part of the plug wire is not stuck to the top of the old spark plug. I had that happen to me and it was a little difficult to see the end of the plug wire still attached to the end of the plug.

Apostle
03-16-2005, 11:13 PM
ahhh shit your right, i didn't even pay attention to my old spark plug wires when i saw the boots were not on them. How do I take the boots off of the old plugs, i see the bitch in the tube but can't get it out, it there a special tool that will help me?

42qn30
03-17-2005, 12:27 AM
yeah it was the rubber boots from the wires. a friend of mine took em out with a wire hanger and we got some new wires also.

it was in one of the previous posts in this topic. can we read a little more in depth.

fiveSFE
03-17-2005, 12:30 AM
those boots falling off are a pain, it took me almost 5 months before i was able to change the spark plug on the left side of the engine, we tried vacuming it out, clothes hanger, needle nose plyers, we tried everythign till one day i decided to try it again and wit a lil bit of down force it came right out, it felt like it was the happiest moment of my life. lol

Freeze
03-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Yeh, I have a pair of 13" needle nose that work well for me :-)

Apostle
03-17-2005, 01:19 AM
i have 11" needle nose plyers but they are too wide, i need something with the width of 1/8 of an inch, and if i can't get the bitch out, i'm pulling out the head.

SilverCel
03-17-2005, 03:22 PM
wire hangar bro.

bend the end so its real short and thin, and just slide it in.

its happeneed to me twice.

Dr.Auto
03-18-2005, 12:55 AM
a really long pick set from Sears helps too.

alltracman78
03-18-2005, 04:51 PM

I wouldn't say this is the smartest idea either smart-O

Why wouldn't it be?
Tho I wouldn't put it down the tubes, it should go inside the wires.

AmericanMuscle
11-29-2005, 07:02 AM
Yep those rubber boots suck when there stuck in the tube. Try this.
Take a piece of brake line (If you don't have a piece of brake line laying
around somewhere you are such a loser...) Grab your favorite yota wrench
(hammer) and flatten the last couple of inches. Grind,file,etc. a rounded
point on the flattened end (doesn't have to be super sharp) Use pliers,vise,
whatevers handy and bend the tip in a tight 180* bend, adjust as necessary.
Slide it down the tube between the plug and rubber boot and pull it out(use
your head) Works like a charm. When your finished throw it in your toolbox
cause your going to be needing it again. :bigthumbu