PDA

View Full Version : You're Invited to... The Phoenix Tuning 24-hour Engine Swap EVENT!

Dr Tweak
12-14-2005, 08:08 AM
I was out in the shop today and I had this idea. I thought it might be cool....

I was thinking of having some people come up, someone with a good video camera and editing skills, and doing a monster garage-style engine swap race. Basically a 24 hour straight out engine swap, like start at 7 am and it has to be done by 7 am the next day. I'm thinking something like a 3SGTE swap into an ST, including all the wiring, front mount intercooler, EVERYTHING, in 24 hours straight. Maybe have a bunch of people up to hang out and goof off, whatever.

Then have someone edit the video, speed up parts of it, do some voice-over, and then put it out there on the internet.

Thoughts?

PS: This won't happen until late next year at the earliest.

Colossus20v
12-14-2005, 01:31 PM
I think it would be fun. Not in this weather though.

4thgenceli
12-14-2005, 02:13 PM
If you're planning late next year.. I volunteer my car for a victim :) (I may have someone who can also do the swap, Jeremy admin from 4gc, I'm fairly sure he can do it in 24hr.)

Your think bout this time next year?

Murgatroy
12-14-2005, 03:06 PM
I think it would be a blast, and I would love to be a part of it. But too many ppl in an engine bay really slow things down.

surfergravity
12-14-2005, 04:02 PM
I would drive to be a part of that. I'd let you use my car for a guinea pig too.

Dr Tweak
12-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Well, the whole idea is for an advertisment for my shop, so I would have to be doing 99% of the work, unless someone wants to redo the body at the same time LOL....

hmmm...

:D Darnit now that's got me thinking...

You guys who say that you would like to donate your car for it, are you serious? You'll still have to pay for the swap but the labor would only be $500.

-Doc

Lagos
12-14-2005, 06:53 PM
you want to do a whole swap, plus wiring in 24hrs? lol, sorry but that aint going to happen. in one weekend, yes, but 24hrs isint enough time, especially if the harness isint done.

also, i think its kind of a bad idea to rush something like an engine swap. you want to take your time and make sure everything is done right, or youll just be kicking yourself in the end (the owner of the car i mean).

angryyoungnpoor
12-14-2005, 08:33 PM
you want to do a whole swap, plus wiring in 24hrs? lol, sorry but that aint going to happen. in one weekend, yes, but 24hrs isint enough time, especially if the harness isint done.

also, i think its kind of a bad idea to rush something like an engine swap. you want to take your time and make sure everything is done right, or youll just be kicking yourself in the end (the owner of the car i mean).

I see it as being possible. You can pull the engine in an hour or less. get the other one.. make sure everything is hooked up before you drop the swap.

If you've got 10 guys working all over the car, I'm sure it's feasable. Now if it were an engine swap you've never done before I can see it as being tricky.

daklieb
12-14-2005, 08:36 PM
you can use my car!.... if the others fall though

kpdvx
12-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Doc, that sounds like a great idea. I have extensive video experience, both in camera work and editing. I just finished up filming a feature length Vietnam war movie with a local guy, and I should be up on IMDB soon. Vermont isn't that far of a drive from Florida... :-p.

Lagos
12-14-2005, 09:06 PM
I see it as being possible. You can pull the engine in an hour or less. get the other one.. make sure everything is hooked up before you drop the swap.

If you've got 10 guys working all over the car, I'm sure it's feasable. Now if it were an engine swap you've never done before I can see it as being tricky.

it takes a little longer then one hr to remove a motor. even tho it seems faster cause time flies when you are working on a car.

10 guys working on one car = everyone gets in the way and nothing gets done. you want 2-3 people, max.

presure2, me and a few other guys swaped out his old 5sfe for a newer one. we had around 5 people total (some working,some hanging out), and did it in a weekend. everyone knew what they were doing and we were trying to rush it so that he can have the car done asap, it still took a little over 2 days and thats with no wiring having to be done at all.

Arcias
12-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted!

Murgatroy
12-14-2005, 11:31 PM
24 hours nonstop could do it.

Tweak would have the harness cut and modified to begin with. That is what he does. He has the ST already, so he would have it prepped and ready to go. Personally I would like to see it driven into the shop, and driven out of the shop.

The engine could be dropped in an hour. It would be a hell of an hour and it would require experienced ppl to do it. Being a FWD there will be a few issues to take care of before jerking like a RWD, but a person on either side and a person underneath that know what they are doing can do it. It would require good communication though.

24 hours is a goal, but not having a crew that knows one another's work habits and mannerisms will complicate it a bit. I would aim for something like 24 hours pulled and installed and 24 hours for troubleshooting and finalizing.

What body work would you like done Tweak?

hobbie2k
12-15-2005, 05:18 AM
I think you can do it but I also think you would need to be prepared. Have the engine ready, have a harness ready, and choose your car wisely to avoid any unexpected delays.

Also I would recommend that if you're having the donor pay for everything, that you offer some kind of warranty on the swap to the donor for allowing his swap to be done in such a rush, since there is a possibility of a catastrophic mistake, especially if you're getting fatigued from 24hrs of labor...

What_the?
12-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Damnit... It'd be nice to have a shop here in Vancouver, Canada that I could trust to do the 3SGTE swap and know they know what they're doing... If you guys weren't on the East coast, I'd drive my car down to the states to get it done :(

surfergravity
12-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Also I would recommend that if you're having the donor pay for everything, that you offer some kind of warranty on the swap to the donor for allowing his swap to be done in such a rush...
Good point.

AznKlique
12-15-2005, 06:57 PM
you know what would be really cool? if the engine swap also consisted of a transmission swap from auto to manual too. :hehe: :hehe: use my car then

Seriously, I think this 24 hour swap would be very interesting. Then make a DVD and sell it on Celicatech. I know I would want to buy it. Its an excellent way for people who want to do a swap to actually see the swap being done before they tackle it themselves. I hope this idea actually goes through because this got me all excited.

hobbie2k
12-15-2005, 07:10 PM
You can make a couple different versions of the video, a shorter marketing version for advertising your company, and a longer, more comprehensive version that you can sell online with a written manual to people intersted in the 3sgte swap. That's a way for you to reach customers outside your local area. Much like what you'll find at www.ultimateresourceguides.com

urban_legend
12-15-2005, 10:05 PM
i got dibs on the camera job, i took broadcasting for 3 years and 4 tech classes in high school.....great editing skills if you got the right programs i gotz the cameras unless somebody has a great digital one.....

daklieb
12-15-2005, 10:13 PM
can i call dibs on the car to be swapped?

Raine
12-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Perhaps it should be sold to benefit the community somehow..

Lagos
12-15-2005, 11:59 PM
lol , you guys are funny . ... everyone seems to think that they will donate their car, get a free 3sgte, plus free laybor, and then tweak will sell off the car to donate back to the comuinty ? lol i dont think thats what he ment with his swap idea.

daklieb
12-16-2005, 12:49 AM
no i know i would fully have to pay for the swap plus whatever he decides on labor, i think he said $500... but i still offer my car i think its an awesome idea and i would love to be part of it

Azzazzyn
12-16-2005, 12:49 AM
i would so put my car up for it too ;) not a 3s though

daklieb
12-16-2005, 12:52 AM
what would you swap?

MrWOT
12-16-2005, 01:12 AM
You need about 10 people so you can switch about every 2 hours, and you can count me in :bigthumbu

Colossus20v
12-16-2005, 01:13 AM
^ he has a 240sx.

:imwithLagos:

daklieb
12-16-2005, 01:17 AM
oh haha wow didnt even see that... im tired leave me be

what you mean "your with Lagos"

Colossus20v
12-16-2005, 01:43 AM
I agree with what Lagos said.

hobbie2k
12-16-2005, 01:47 AM
I'll donate my car for the 3sgte swap! :hehe:

daklieb
12-16-2005, 02:26 AM
yea i see wut he was saying... thats not wut i was thinking when i said i would volunteery my car though

surfergravity
12-16-2005, 01:38 PM
lol , you guys are funny . ... everyone seems to think that they will donate their car, get a free 3sgte, plus free laybor, and then tweak will sell off the car to donate back to the comuinty ? lol i dont think thats what he ment with his swap idea.

That's not at all what I was thinking when I offered my car. I believe Dr. Tweak said, "...give me your thoughts."

I work for my money, bro. Not scared to pay into making by car more like the ride it was meant to be. Anyone who really thinks the word "free" has a dillusional mindset about getting handouts or could be confused that it might be the "getting sponsered' dream.

Azzazzyn
12-16-2005, 09:40 PM
i am looking for an rb25 swap, but yeah, i'd donate too, as it is, I have half what i need for the clip

Luni
12-16-2005, 11:15 PM
When the mechanic swapped my engine for the celica one, he did it all in a day. He started at 11am and was finished by about 9:45pm

That was stripping both longblocks down, swapping the harnesses, and all the bits that are incompatible, and putting it all back together. That was also doing cam seals, rear main seal, timing belt, and everything else associated.

24 hours if you knew implicitly how to do the wiring it could be done. He had him and another guy. Thats it.

After doing my turbo, I have no doubt I could drop and raise my engine back up in a day. The hard part is that wiring.

Its all about airtools man. Airtools and all the right shit. So long as you have EVERYTHING planned, laid out, each person has their role and you have a lift, or the equivalent, it could happen.

cosmic_sombrero
12-17-2005, 02:10 AM
Want to do a 1UZ-FE swap on my GT-S?

It'd be a fairly rare swap (only Adrian, I think), and my car is good looking enough to merit a nice V6 swap.

Plus, the motor itself would be cheap for me, making it easier to afford the trip over their and back plus your labor.

lol.

MooseKnuckle
12-17-2005, 02:24 AM
So what's the prize? What does the winning team get?

Dr Tweak
12-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Wow, it's cool to see so much interest here. The original idea, which I think most everyone missed, was for Phoenix Tuning to do the swap in 24 hours. I would need someone to bring their car up, pay for the swap, someone to run the camera (or more than one), and a few people to hang out to make it more fun.

As for the idea of having a competition, that would be very cool, and I'm definetely interested. However, I think that we would need a bigger shop than mine to do it in.

This isn't going to happen until later next year anyway. First I need to be sure that's even possible, and I need some tools that I don't have here yet. And I need to get all-around better at what I do.

I do have the wiring down pretty darn good, though. :D

-Doc

daklieb
12-17-2005, 07:06 AM
i got the idea :)

MrWOT
12-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Want to do a 1UZ-FE swap on my GT-S?

It'd be a fairly rare swap (only Adrian, I think), and my car is good looking enough to merit a nice V6 swap.

Plus, the motor itself would be cheap for me, making it easier to afford the trip over their and back plus your labor.

lol.

Errr, the 1UZ-FE is the V8 Lexus motor isn't it?

4thgenceli
12-17-2005, 03:28 PM
By the end of next year I'm plannin to have Celibaby turboed. I'd be more than willing to pay for all the stuff.. and get it over there.

Are you just talkin about mechical and electrical? Or all gauges and shit too?

hobbie2k
12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Errr, the 1UZ-FE is the V8 Lexus motor isn't it?

yeah...I think he means the 1MZ-FE...and then, just for fun, you can install the TRD Supercharger and have a 1MZ-FZE Celica.

Dr Tweak
12-18-2005, 01:22 AM
By the end of next year I'm plannin to have Celibaby turboed. I'd be more than willing to pay for all the stuff.. and get it over there.

Are you just talkin about mechical and electrical? Or all gauges and shit too?

Chances are it would be just enough to make the swap "complete" so that it runs under it's own power. :)

RallyK
12-18-2005, 06:27 AM
Hey Dr. Tweek.. Progressive ideas!

I think what people thought when you said "race" was that 2 people would be competing against eachother rather than just yourself against the clock.

I know everyone is volunteering their car but since my car already has a full custom body, it might get you a little publicity. Especially considering my car is already plastered with your shop's name. ;) Now that I think about it why did I pay for those stickers? it's free advertising for you (profitable even).

I'm not sure what exactly my plans are for the celica. I was considering a swap eventually so it will be as fast as it looks but remember it would include an auto-manual conversion. I don't know what you would charge for the swap AND the conversion. I think I'd like to do quite a bit of the work this summer with my roomie. (saves money).

Let me know if you want to give me a break on the price in exchange for you using my car as publicity. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Remember, I have a few cars going towards racing with plenty of open space for advertising.

Dr Tweak
12-18-2005, 08:31 AM
The typical price on, for example, a 1MZ swap with auto/manual conversion would be $1200 for labor. I do give the stickers away to people who have swaps done :D

I've given some thought to your rally aspiration and I am interested in sponsoring you if you do take it to the "next level" and start racing. (PARTICULARLY if you're driving a Toyota). I would want exclusive rights to the advertising space on the car, but I would make it well worth it for you. Hit me up by email or pm and we'll discuss it.

BTW I still have that O to send you :)

-Doc

alltracman78
12-18-2005, 02:43 PM
NO NO

Swap MY car. !

:D

Hell yeah you could do it in 24 hrs.
You guys DEFINITLY underestimate air tools...
And if Tweak gets a lift.... :D

Tweak, IF I'm available when you do this, I'll lend a hand.
I know these cars pretty damn good, especially if all we're doing is straight mechanical work [ie tearing an engine out].
I can also do the wiring fast and good [I've never had a solder job break on me. Yet.]
Once you know where to put each wire, it won't take that long....
Couple of hours. You could be working on it while the engine is being pulled and the other prepped.
If you do it on an ST, you'll have to cut the old metal bracket and weld in the new one. Not too bad. Then start mounting the ic. Mate up the transmission to the 3S.
Finish up wiring, and stick in. :D

alltracman78
12-18-2005, 02:50 PM
As a side note [and no, Kristin didn't put me up to it], her car might actually be the best one [so far at least].
You could take it to the track and run it after. Next day or whatever. And her's would probably be the fastest [6th g ST being the lightest of these Celicas].
And like she said having that bodykit [though you ought to make her get the paint redone. :D] and all helps. The car actually looks pretty good.

Dr Tweak
12-19-2005, 04:29 AM
NO NO

Swap MY car. !

:D

Hell yeah you could do it in 24 hrs.
You guys DEFINITLY underestimate air tools...
And if Tweak gets a lift.... :D

Tweak, IF I'm available when you do this, I'll lend a hand.
I know these cars pretty damn good, especially if all we're doing is straight mechanical work [ie tearing an engine out].
I can also do the wiring fast and good [I've never had a solder job break on me. Yet.]
Once you know where to put each wire, it won't take that long....
Couple of hours. You could be working on it while the engine is being pulled and the other prepped.
If you do it on an ST, you'll have to cut the old metal bracket and weld in the new one. Not too bad. Then start mounting the ic. Mate up the transmission to the 3S.
Finish up wiring, and stick in. :D

Just curious, how long does it take you to do a 3SGTE harness for a 6th gen? I have it down to around 6 hours now, not including looming it back up (that's unlooming, stripping, and soldering).

Yeah, that's a good observation.

-Doc

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
12-19-2005, 11:36 AM
A mate and i swapped out his old 3sge and popped in his new 3sgte in about 6 hours flat. Wiring took another 4 on top of that.

It is possible. But too many people might make it a bit crowded.

alltracman78
12-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Just curious, how long does it take you to do a 3SGTE harness for a 6th gen? I have it down to around 6 hours now, not including looming it back up (that's unlooming, stripping, and soldering).

Yeah, that's a good observation.

-Doc

I have no clue man.
I've never done it.
However, all I need is to know which wires go where. Soldering is soldering.
:)

Dr Tweak
12-20-2005, 04:20 AM
I have no clue man.
I've never done it.
However, all I need is to know which wires go where. Soldering is soldering.
:)

Oh, I gotcha. There's actually no room for that, I solder them at the same time that I'm figuring out where they go, for the most part.

I could sic someone on the shrinkwrapping afterwards though, that's not a bad idea.

-Doc

alltracman78
12-20-2005, 01:00 PM
yeah.
I figured [at least for this] you would figure it out before hand.
Have something in writing to reference.

If you're trying to do it in 24hrs, you need to know ahead of time where everything needs to go and whatnot...

4thgenceli
12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
I would still like to get my car there.... but tis up to the Doc though :)