PDA

View Full Version : Crash bolts in the 7th gen

psyco13013
12-13-2005, 09:18 PM
I recently found out that if the factory service manual mentions crash bolts that they can be used in stock class for AutoX. I donít have said manual, so I was wondering if the 7th gen GTS can use crash bolts for camber adjustment. Also, I have noticed that my rear tires seem to have a bit of negative camber stock. Would using crash bolts (assuming they are legal for stock class) be worth the time/cost?

I appreciate any help yall can give me.

4DMR2t
12-14-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure about the Celica, but I know Toyota offered 3 different sizes for the MR2, of which I use the smallest to gain as much negative camber as possible.

I'm not an expert of FWD, but I'd assume the premise is similar. Negative camber is a great advantage at autox. With negative camber on all 4 wheels, you can enter and exit turns much faster, mainly because the point at which the tires start to lose contact is now much higher. It takes a lot more roll to push the tires beyond parallel with the surface.

If that makes any sense.

All in all, negative camber is a good thing!

psyco13013
12-14-2005, 02:10 AM
I know I want negative camber, I just dont know if I need crash bolts to do it. I tried to check the BGB on this site, but it comes up as a bad link. I guess the server is down? Does anyone have vol 1 and 2 that they could send me?

Dr.Auto
12-19-2005, 06:18 AM
camber bolts (or crash bolts as you say....don't know where you got that) is considered the stock methode of setting camber. You are allowed to set your camber to whatever you want within the limitations of the stock factory adjustment precedure. It's not the spec you have to adhere to it's just that you can't adjust the camber out of a range than what the factory adjustments allow. So go ahead and put in camber bolts you can get alot out of it and it's factory adjustment.

Mister2T
12-24-2005, 03:11 AM
how much can you get some camber bolts for and just how much would it help with alignments?

4DMR2t
12-24-2005, 07:54 AM
I've always heard them referred to as crash bolts. I'm pretty sure that's what they're called in the toyota parts catalog as well.

Either way, they'll allow a few more degrees of negative camber, which on the track can make a world of difference.

Mister2T
12-24-2005, 11:57 AM
cool.

Adrian Avgerinos
01-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Crash bolts are bolts with a smaller OD allowing room for adjustment when your car gets into an accident.

I recommend you pick up a pair of one of the following:

http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/81290.htm
http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/35450.htm

The cam feature is better for keeping the alignment in spec over using a smaller bolt. You should be able to order bolts like these from any auto parts store.