PDA

View Full Version : Swap Price

FWD88GT
12-13-2005, 02:10 AM
My mother inlaws friend wants me to swap a motor into his 87 lincoln how much should I charge him. He want to know. I have no idea. I have done swaps on celicas but not a lincoln. thanks

Colossus20v
12-13-2005, 02:11 AM
$1000

Doctor Jinxed
12-13-2005, 02:16 AM
I'd say $600 sounds more fair, especially since it's a family friend.

Also, and excuse my ignorance, but aren't swaps balls easier on American cars usually?

MoralWarfare
12-13-2005, 02:28 AM
depends on the car.

FWD88GT
12-13-2005, 05:25 AM

Also, and excuse my ignorance, but aren't swaps balls easier on American cars usually?

Thats that I thought there can't be to much to it. Its just a huge V8 what more is there to it.

TheNefariousOne
12-13-2005, 05:35 AM
It still depends...depending on whether or not its the same motor, if its fuel injected, etc...you will still run into many of the same issues as import engine swaps. Now if we're talking about swapping a carbed SBC into a car that comes stock with another SBC, then its easy as pie.

TNO

FWD88GT
12-13-2005, 07:06 AM
It still depends...depending on whether or not its the same motor, if its fuel injected, etc...you will still run into many of the same issues as import engine swaps. Now if we're talking about swapping a carbed SBC into a car that comes stock with another SBC, then its easy as pie.

TNO
I have no idea. I don't know if I should comit because I have two other celicas and a camry to swap as well.

Schmleff
12-13-2005, 04:02 PM
time and materials. Charge $35 per hour.

nuclearhappines
12-13-2005, 05:25 PM
put a ford performance motor in it

older lincolns had the same 4.6 as the mustang except for different intake manifold/throttle body/headers/ tuning ...and of course those tiny ass 1" dual exhausts

Playfortoday
12-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Moving to general discussion...

Murgatroy
12-13-2005, 08:31 PM
First, what type of Lincoln is it, and what are you 'swapping' into and out of it?

That makes a big difference. If it is an `88 Towncar and you are dropping a 5.0 out and another 5.0 into it, you are looking at a weekend of work and should only charge around $300.

New engines get more expensive.

And no, swapping engines in Domestics is not always easy. Pulling a Carbed V6 and dropping a Carbed 454 into a `72 Camaro is pretty easy, but once you start adding accessories and electronic controls like EFI and smog components, it gets a little more complicated.

I can pull and install a V8 in a day on a car with a decent sized engine bay and no EFI. Add all that crap and it adds at least a day. The fastest I have ever done was on a Jeep straight 6, it took a day, all the electronics were plug and play with very few wires.

jaded_driver
12-14-2005, 05:03 AM

lol... lets think about this guys... how many of use have worked on and around our engines while they are in the car...

now how many people can you put in the front end of a lincon with the engine in it? :P