PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Camry

Morwan
12-13-2005, 01:36 AM
t3h unofficial specs. (http://autoblog.com/entry/1234000613072069/)

If you scroll down, you can see what I said (#36). Every Camry just gets bigger and bigger.

The 268-HP 3.5L V6 sounds interesting, but it's going to give you absurd amounts of torque steer. I wonder when foreign automakers are going to remember how much FWD sucks compared to RWD/AWD when you have lots of horsepower... Toyota sure as hell doesn't. </bitter>

1988GT4
12-13-2005, 03:31 AM
heh...yea..it all good n all...but the everything now adays HAS to be FWD its rediculus

hobbie2k
12-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Toyota hasn't forgotten the FWD torque steer issue, most of their Lexus line is RWD, same relationship for Nissan and Infiniti. It's just that they've been very successful with their FWD programs and the Camry is their volume car. You don't mess with success. And from what I've been hearing, torque steer really isn't that big an issue with the new Avalon (same motor, FWD) so i don't think it'll be an issue here.

I give the car a *thumbsup*

Morwan
12-13-2005, 06:33 AM
My reasoning was that the Nissan Altima and Maxima had torque steer problems with a weaker engine of the same size... But if Toyota magically fixed it, power to them.

As for RWD and Lexus, that's my problem with them. I'm not going to be buying a Lexus anytime soon (or ever, manumatics don't cut it) , but I'd like a RWD coupe. There hasn't been an affordable & reliable RWD coupe since the 240SX went out of style. That's why I'm hoping Hyundai will come up with something.. Hyundai's become what Toyota was in the 70's.... Except for the 2000GT. =P

CelicaST202
12-13-2005, 11:17 AM
240sx is an excellent RWD monster :hehe:

hobbie2k
12-13-2005, 07:25 PM
My reasoning was that the Nissan Altima and Maxima had torque steer problems with a weaker engine of the same size... But if Toyota magically fixed it, power to them.

That's more chassis and steering issues, though I will say manufacturers are pushing the FWD power envelope. They haven't fixed the fundamental problem, but they've alleviated the symptoms. That, and people are getting used to torque steer.

There is a hp war going on right now, though, and Toyota was on the verge of getting left behind. I'll take a little torque steer if it means that my family sedan will hold it's own with real sports cars, and plow through snow and ice better than just about any RWD.

surfergravity
12-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Talk about torque steer. I'm driving around a new Impala SS while my 99 Cel is being finished. The Imp has a 5.3 V8 with 303hp.

surfergravity
12-13-2005, 07:59 PM
PS I think the Camry looks ugly compared to the hot production ones right now.

erc
12-14-2005, 01:50 AM
Torque steer isn't an issue because it's a Camry. A grocery getter. Not exactly the type of car most people are trying to launch or drive aggressively.

TEAMFaint
12-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Torque steer isn't an issue because it's a Camry. A grocery getter. Not exactly the type of car most people are trying to launch or drive aggressively.

Don't think so? I definately would :hehe:
I'd race every B16A civic swap that I know in this thing! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding!!! Remember....stink eye and drive away casually...

But I personally think the 192-hp hybrid drivetrain with 2.4L I4 and CVT transmission will be quite popular when it comes out.

Disco Dan
12-15-2005, 06:16 PM
I'd like a RWD coupe

Two options:

1.) Get an early 90's SC300 or SC400
2.) Get a third gen Celica. The convertibles are NICE, if well kept.

On a side note, it's strange that the Celica convertible had a rear glass window with defogger in 1984-85, but did away with it for the 4th and 5th gen convertibles. I've been thinking about obtaining the rear glass from a 3rd gen to see if I can't finagle a way to get that in place of the cheap plastic stock backlight.

hobbie2k
12-15-2005, 07:16 PM
I believe the 4th and 5th gen verts were actually outsourced to another company and actually left the Toyota factory as a coupe. Then it had it's roof ripped off and some chassis stiffening done. Much like the 240SX/Silvia vert...

That might explain the rear window.

surfergravity
12-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Whoa totally :jacked:

Morwan
12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
1.) Get an early 90's SC300 or SC400
I think that's what I'll end up with if I decide to stay in the family. It'd be cool to mess around with the SC400 and create a muscle car.

Meh, the thread was basically me whining about how Toyota doesn't make any affordable sports cars. =P