PDA

View Full Version : 7th Gen Rebuild Project -- Need Help

psyco13013
12-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Does anyone know how to rebuild the GTS tranny, or know where I could find this info? I need my tranny fixed (lost 6th gear) and would like to do the work myself if I can. Problem is, I have never rebuilt a tranny before. If anyone could help me with this, I want to write an article about how to do it.

I need to know what tools I will need, and a general "here's what you do" for rebuilding the tranny. I have been unable to find a shop manuel for this car, so I really have nothing here. If anyone can help me, please chime in.

Thanks,

Tom

Dr.Auto
12-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Do you know for sure it is the transaxle thats faulty. Or could it possibly be something like a shifter linkage bent or a shifter related concern where the transaxle is never actuated into 6th gear? That should be eliminated as a possibility before you rip open the transaxle.

psyco13013
12-13-2005, 01:58 AM
From everyone I have talked to, its the shift fork on my 6th gear. When I put the car into 6th, if I give it any gas at all it kicks out of gear. Only happens in 6th. I will some times have issues getting into other gears (feels like the shifter is unaligned), but that seems common to the point of not being an issue.

The transmission shops I have called all want over $200 to open it up and diagnose the problem, + what they say will be "a few thousand" dollars to fix what ever is wrong. Most are putting the diagnostic/repairs in the 3 to 4 grand range. I'm a student with a part time job, so I dont have that kinda cheese to throw at my tranny right now, so I figure I can fix it myself. If I can get a picture of what it should all look like when its correct, I should be able to see what piece is bad and replace it (I hope.)

Dr.Auto
12-13-2005, 03:57 AM
I can provide you with some diagrams.

But keep in mind that this is a 13hour job for a trained proffessionsal. Also a relative understanding of a manual transaxle is required. There are many pieces and non of them are not needed......and they are al specifically installed......sometimes even the smallest of parts. I commend you on wanting to do this yourself. But I somewhat discourage this unless you are quite confident you are able and having a good sense of mechanical functions.

If you really want to do this I would recommend that you have a nice clean, and clear area that will allow you to group parts together in the order they came apart and where noone will mess with them. paying attention to every detail is required.

Toyota also has a long list of special tools they want you to use for rebuilding. I assume you have the (C60) transaxle.

Tool lists recommended by Toyota

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/500121/38.gif

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/500121/37.gif

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/500121/36.gif

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/500121/35.gif

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/500121/34.gif

Let me know if you want the diagrams

psyco13013
12-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Damn, Doc, you just kinda took the wind out of my sails...I dont have any of those tools...

Well, I was going to have a guy swap in a new tranny origionally, so I guess I'll stick with that plan, and then rebuild the old one. Cant hurt to have a spair, right? And if I do manage to rebuild it into a working tranny then I can always sell it.

Are the diagrams you speak of from the BGB? Because I downloaded vol. 2 last night and it has some diagrams which look like they would be real handy for a rebuild project. Also, how many of those required tools do you think I could do without?

So in short, the article is still on, but I will probably be a while, and will not save me any money at all.

Dr.Auto
12-14-2005, 06:05 AM
The diagrams I have are from Alldata. I can get the actual Toyota transaxle specific book to borrow, but I'd have to scan those in.......... and there is an entire book dedicated to the transaxle.......notebook thick sized.

As far as the tools go ........ keep in mind that in the world of working on cars everything is based on flate rate. So 13hours is what the guy gets paid weather he is really good and does it in 8 hours or screws up and has to take it apart 3 times to fix a mistake. So the tools are specifically mad for each and every purpose so that the tech doesn't waste time making somthing work. He just uses the specific tool for the job and doesn't have to think up some thingie that will probibly work.

You could probibly do without most all those tools if .... you have a Harbor freight near by to at least purchase a few of the pullers and seal/bearing drivers and snap ring plyers. But considering after that you already have a decent assortment of tools you could probibly use a socket in place of one thing, and a peice of pipe in place of another with some special thought and planning. But also keep in mind that for every tool you have to hunt down or try to make something.... is that much longer your tranny will be in pieces untill it's fixed.

Me...... I own over $35k in tools, still don't have enough and might be able to do it. But I might still have to make a trip to Harbor Freight. Or just simply try to sweet talk my old boss at Toyota to let me borrow some of it..... good thing I left on good terms.

psyco13013
12-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I was talking to a friend of mine (a server at a local all night diner) and told him about the tranny rebuild project. He told me that he has rebuilt a 3, 4, and 5 speed tranny, and is willing to help me with the 6 speed. So now I have some one with *some* experiance on board with this project.

As for the time table, I am getting a new tranny and installing that one, then I will try to rebuild the broken one. This way I have enough time to try to do it right, without having to rush on account of not having a car.

If we get into a jam, I may need your help with a few sections of that transaxle book, but I'll try to get by with out it for now on account of it being a lot of pages to scan and I dont want to put you through all that scanning if I dont need it.

Dr.Auto
12-15-2005, 07:18 PM
good luck man! I am glad to see you taking the safe way. And it's good to see someone wanting to do stuff like this themselves. If you need any info just PM me. Once you've worked on one transaxle then you have an isea what's up....they are very simular from one make to another with a odd ball every once in a while.

Just be sure to keep track of every single part on dissassemly and assembly. Even snap rings somtimes are picky which way they go in. Some times going to wal-mart and getting a bunch of tupperware bins helps a bunch. Break it into sections and keep the parts relative to that section together. Even tape stuff together when needed so you know how stuff mates together. Then after you've done a dozen or so you can try puting the parts all in one box and throwing it in the paint mixer......but the first time apart don't risk it.