PDA

View Full Version : tribeca

bitskyline
12-12-2005, 05:53 AM
ewhttp://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/subaru-b9-tribeca-3.JPG

Murgatroy
12-12-2005, 07:44 AM
This belongs in General.

Schmleff
12-12-2005, 02:17 PM
All of the subies have that ugly front. it if were not for that, its a nice car actually

Murgatroy
12-12-2005, 02:20 PM
It reminds me of an old Fiat, or an Edsel... maybe a little of a Jaguar.

It is still ugly though.

Schmleff
12-12-2005, 02:24 PM
do a google image search for alpha romeo. Direct rip off of their front ends

Murgatroy
12-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Yup.

david in germany
12-12-2005, 03:29 PM
This belongs in General.

Nuf said.

hobbie2k
12-12-2005, 11:14 PM
do a google image search for alpha romeo. Direct rip off of their front ends

Suposedly it is reminiscient of Subaru's days as an aircraft manufacturer. The center grill is the fuselage while the grills on either side represent the wings. While I agree that the front end of the Tribeca is awkward and unappealing, I feel this design philosopy translated VERY well to the Impreza (which, I feel, has a much better looking front end than that clapped together thing they did to get rid of the bug eyes).

Anyhow, I've read it that the only input the designer took from Alfa Romeo was that the idea of a large trapezoidal center grill flanked by two smaller ones can be beautiful, and that it is mere coincidence that it happens to be similar to Alfa's signature.

Of course, that's just what I read...

EDIT: taking another look at the B9, I really think that the major issue with the front end is the position of the headlights relative to the grill, and the sheer visual mass of the soft-roader. If this same front end was put onto a lower, sleeker car, with a significantly lower hood, and if you concealed the headlights behind the two flanking grills, like the (dare I say it) Alfa Brera concept car, then it would be far more appealing and cohesive. In fact, it would be almost, beautiful.

http://top.ch/tc/genf_05/alfa_brera_502.jpg