PDA

View Full Version : :( It's dead!

angryyoungnpoor
12-10-2005, 01:29 AM
My 92 celica GT has a short in it.. no idea where. It can be jump started, but will soon die after. The alternator is making a sputtering kinda noise, don' tknow if that's it.. I guess I can try to use the alternator off my other car to see if it'll work. I think they're the same ones.

It's sitting in a parking lot 5 miles away, and am too pissed to call a tow truck to pick it up. I haven't a clue what it's from, and it looks as though i'm going to have to trace all the grounds.

Oh... the nut on the battery brace is sparking. It has been snowing and the wetness is getting on that nut. I don't know why this particular one would be sparking. Argh.

fredk1037
12-10-2005, 01:47 AM
go pull the car home, check the ground cable from the battery

CandianCelicaGT
12-10-2005, 01:49 AM
blow it up. That's what Im gonna do when mine doesnt start

Sean
12-10-2005, 06:19 AM
The alternators are a bit different, and its not a straight forward swap. I believe the plug itself is different.

Good luck, and check all of your grounds.

acidice333
12-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Sounds like your alternator went since you said you can jump it but will soon die after so I will assume it dies shortly after is because your battery still has a surface charge from jumping it.

But yeah like they said, check your grounds and also check your battery voltage at various stages (:

angryyoungnpoor
12-10-2005, 08:03 AM
yeah, I gotta get up tomorrow to funkin' get it towed home. i'm not happy about that. Now I have two dead cars that I have to work on. I think once all the snow melts and such it'll be fine, but it still seems strange. Not like it's never rained in the past 4 years I've had the car. Ah well, I probably won't have a chance to look at it til monday.

Tommy91GT
12-10-2005, 08:27 AM
It's a really good chance that it's just your Alt. If you have another battery around the house that is charged you could tkae it down, swap it in and make it the 5 miles down the road just off it's juice as long as you leave the radio, light, etc off. Saves you the cash for a tow truck. Plus if it runs for awhile under a charged battery then dies you will know that your alt isn't charging the battery and you can replace it.

Luni
12-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Dude if its just 5 miles from your house, go there, get your battery, take it out, charge it up, and take it back. It will hold a charge long enough for you to get it home.

Then, while its started take it to autozone or checker and have them connect their testing rig to it and they will determine if its your alt, or your battery.

Dont guess when it comes to this shit, just have it tested out properly.

angryyoungnpoor
12-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Dude if its just 5 miles from your house, go there, get your battery, take it out, charge it up, and take it back. It will hold a charge long enough for you to get it home.

Then, while its started take it to autozone or checker and have them connect their testing rig to it and they will determine if its your alt, or your battery.

Dont guess when it comes to this shit, just have it tested out properly.

I'm still undercertain of what it is. I had the tow truck come pick it up, cuz it was free. Insurance covers it.

i'm not going to be guessing on this stuff, because I don't have the money to throw around.

Something that happened yesterday..

Guy working on the roof- *looking at the white car with no engine in it* So.. you're going to fix that up and sell it for an american car, right?

Me- No, because then I'd have to take that one apart.

Today.. I pull in with a second celica that is not running... Made me feel like like a douche. :( But then again it does have over 200k on it.

Tommy91GT
12-10-2005, 06:23 PM
How far is an autopart store? Charge your battery and drive it down and let them check it. If it is the alt you can buy one and put it in in the parklot. Won't take more than 30 mins total time.

angryyoungnpoor
12-15-2005, 04:16 AM
Tonight we tried running codes to see if there is anything in the registry. There is no code showing up that we know of, but the check engine is continually flashing. We changed the battery, because it was dead. The alternator passed and seems to be fine.

We're wondering if this is a code, or if it means something else. Why is it doing this?

Lagos
12-15-2005, 04:59 AM
the cel light flashing just means that there are no codes stored and that you put the car into daignostic mode in the little diag box with a paperclip.

my guess is that your problem is probably the battery. its probably old and cant hold a charge anymore. a common thing to go bad once the cold weather starts. had the same problem last winter

angryyoungnpoor
12-15-2005, 05:06 AM
See, I think that was some of the cause, because like I said, it was dead. But the battery light is still coming on seldomely. The alternator's making a funny noise. Something relating to a bearing going out. That's what I'm thinking it is. Though it did check to be ok.

Electrical problems suck!

angryyoungnpoor
12-25-2005, 05:18 AM
Alrighty! I think I've found the problem finally.

The cause: I had put the intake on, which required me to move the fuse box. The Battery cover was hitting the positive battery cable. This possibly caused the battery to run dry, and also the alternator to crap out. So now, the cables have been moved, and the battery replaced, and the alternator replaced.

All in all payed 170 to get this fixed... so far. Hopefully all is going to be ok.