PDA

View Full Version : front struts

Ricksta
12-08-2005, 09:53 PM
ive got my tire off right now and im looking for the bolt that is suppost to unscrew and then i can slide the old strut out and then the new one goes in...well im looking at the bottom and theres no screw...its flat...theres nothing.......i know the mount is at the top it cant be there...what am i suppost to do here?

Ricksta
12-08-2005, 10:17 PM
ok i went back and took a look at a thread i didnt look at a long time ago and it sais i need to remove the gland nut....but that was for the rears on an mr2...o well

BEAMS
12-08-2005, 10:17 PM
I deleted my pic, you get how to do it now. Your should really get a haynes manual or use the online BG link i gave you.

Ricksta
12-08-2005, 10:33 PM
so thats the gland nut...thanks for the help

Mister2T
12-08-2005, 10:50 PM
im pretty sure i know the answer to this but do you have to take off the whole spindal on the front to replace the strut, or can you pull it up though the strut mount up top?

Ricksta
12-08-2005, 11:10 PM
everythings gotta come off

Galcobar
12-09-2005, 01:51 AM
No it doesn't.

Speaking as someone who replaced all four shocks, strut mounts, etc. a few months ago...

You leave the knuckle in place, front and back. In fact, the front is easier to do because the knuckle is articulated to move much more freely than the rears. While I needed help to align the rear struts with the upper mounting holes and the bolts through the knuckle, the fronts I was able to do myself.

The strut is removed from the car with the mount attached -- the mount is what is holding on the spring.

If you're going to do this, I suggest picking up a Hayne's. For this particular procedure, it was actually quite helpful and clear.

As a hint, I lubricated the sides of the knuckle where it meets the strut to make it easier to slide the strut onto the knuckle. I used Pam, since it breaks down quickly and won't affect any rubber while it's there.

Ricksta
12-09-2005, 10:54 PM
slick deal........im probably going to put them on this weekend...if i have time.