PDA

View Full Version : Driving Habits

Arcias
12-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm sure that all of us have varying styles of driving since we're taught different things and such like that.

Do you ever have a passenger who's always trying to tell you how to drive? I was driving around this one chick the other day, and she kept harping at me about how I put the car in neutral when I'm at a light and clutch off so I'm just on the brake. She said that I should keep it in first with the clutch down.

Normally, I wouldn't care, and I would just switch to whatever way they want me to drive while they're in the car, but I've taken a ride in her car while she was driving before...she lugs the engine like hell, always shifts at 3K and while she's upshifting, there's a noticeable lag (and lug) as she releases the gas, daintily steps on the clutch, shifts, and engages the clutch (lug). Oh, and proceeds to floor the accelerator (lug).

So how do you guys drive and how many pissy passengers do you get telling you to change your way of driving?

Project_ST184
12-07-2005, 04:43 PM
i've never really had any complaints to how i drive. just complaints about my car haha. but whenever someone tells me how to drive i just drive even worse to piss them off and scare them.

Colossus20v
12-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I dont like making complete stops at stop signs when there is not anything around. My dad doesnt like it. My gf doesnt mind my driving but when parking she turns the wheels while she is at a complete stop. Over time this ruins tires. So she now does not do it because I taught her correctly.

surfergravity
12-07-2005, 06:20 PM
I usually scare my girl when backing in/out near other objects. I have never hit anything(nor anyone for that matter,) however she makes that sounds like an inhaling hiss or inhaling "huhmm." Well, there's various sounds that seem like a concerned moan that women typically use. I'm sure you can think of a few.
I'm just very aware of the depths and dimensions of my car. And am confident while driving.

SplinterCel
12-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm just very aware of the depths and dimensions of my car. And am confident while driving.

Usually for me people say I drive too reckless. Just because I weave thru traffic at 70mph (on the street not hgwy) doesn't mean that I'm not being safe ;) But like you said when you know your car you push it to it's limits b/c you know what it as well as yourself as a driver can and can't do. the sig sums it up

undecided
12-07-2005, 07:37 PM
yeah i put my car in neutral at lights. no one ever told me how to drive. if they did i would tell them to stfu :)

Luis C
12-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Same here, nobody says anything about how I drive, maybe my mother or father when I'm giving them a ride somewhere they complain on how fast I'm driving (75 KPH, geez) or how close I brake to the car in front (disc brakes on all four wheels, I can afford to brake a little later).

Fiancee says I drive great, although she does complain on highways when the speedo goes over 150 KPH.... fortunatly she doesn't ride withe me on long road trips :hehe:

jdg371
12-08-2005, 02:24 AM
i've never really had any complaints to how i drive. just complaints about my car haha. but whenever someone tells me how to drive i just drive even worse to piss them off and scare them.

I agree...

fiveSFE
12-08-2005, 02:38 AM
my mom says i brake to late, we almost alwasy get in fights, but thats aboot it.

angryyoungnpoor
12-08-2005, 08:14 AM
I don't generally speed. I'm very agressive and get a lot of jump and "...Ah!"'s. Most of the people don't say shit, cuz they know I'm a better driver than them. Me being cocky, yes. I know when to be a cockhead driver and when not to be. Don't speed where you know there's cops. Don't act like a douche in traffic. :D

Morwan
12-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I drive like an old man. I always shift at 3K, and I try to take my time and double clutch to keep it smooth. If there's a stop sign or stop light coming up, I'll shift into neutral and just coast to the light. I've taken my car up to 4k RPM.. Maybe four or five times since I bought it (two months ago). I've been having a bit more fun with it lately, but that's probably because my cold idle is fucked up, my throttle will randomly move between being super-responsive and sqooshy as hell.

None of my friends know how to drive stick, so they don't know any better. The only comment I got was from my Dad, he said that I need to shift at higher RPMs, because I sometimes get some surging when I shift into 2nd gear. I think that's probably because my clutch has 140K on it, the surging only happens at 1500 or below. I still have a lot to learn, like downshifting and proper launches.

KoreanJoey
12-08-2005, 10:31 AM
I drive like an old man. I always shift at 3K, and I try to take my time and double clutch to keep it smooth. If there's a stop sign or stop light coming up, I'll shift into neutral and just coast to the light. I've taken my car up to 4k RPM.. Maybe four or five times since I bought it (two months ago). I've been having a bit more fun with it lately, but that's probably because my cold idle is fucked up, my throttle will randomly move between being super-responsive and sqooshy as hell.

None of my friends know how to drive stick, so they don't know any better. The only comment I got was from my Dad, he said that I need to shift at higher RPMs, because I sometimes get some surging when I shift into 2nd gear. I think that's probably because my clutch has 140K on it, the surging only happens at 1500 or below. I still have a lot to learn, like downshifting and proper launches.

WTF? Double clutching? you know you don't have to do that right? I mean your transmission was made with synchros for a reason. double clutching is only neccesary in cars that don't have syncros, otherwise just make sure the rpms match and you're fine.

Morwan
12-08-2005, 10:42 AM
I just double clutch to rev match. I shift into neutral, wait for the RPMs to drop, then I shift into gear.

I have a strange feeling either my tranny or clutch is fucked up, but I hadn't driven stick for two years before getting this car... So I'm not sure.

undecided
12-08-2005, 04:25 PM
um.....shifting into neutral to wait for the rpms to drop is way slow. and i shift my celica everywhere at 2500 rpms and im fine. 3 even seems like a little too much

just shift the car no waiting crap.

Luis C
12-08-2005, 06:23 PM
double clutching is only neccesary in cars that don't have syncros

Or unless your sycros are anything like mine... shot to shit. :owned: :laugh:

Slider
12-08-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't think you should be below 2000rpm if you're accelerating. If you're just cruising it's alright to be below 2000.

Hooligan
12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
IF you are at a stop, the car should be out of gear with the clutch out. If you are sitting at a stop with the clutch in (it doesn't matter whether the car is on), you are putting more wear on your throw out bearing. Accelerated wear is bad.

Hooligan
12-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Oh yeah, my habits - I tend to brake really early, shift early, and keep the engine revs really low (I like listening to music, hard to do in a loud car, and I try to keep it quieter for my girlfriend). I also don't speed by more than 5-7mph. I am pretty sure my driving habits are one of the reasons that I haven't gotten any tickets...

MrWOT
12-08-2005, 08:06 PM
You don't want to put a load on the engine at a low speed anyway.

I normally drive "spiritedly", though if the conditions are bad or I have passengers I drive much more conservatively.

Hooligan
12-08-2005, 10:51 PM
You don't want to put a load on the engine at a low speed anyway.

This is correct, but if you are just cruising at a constant speed, it's not a bad thing.

TEAMFaint
12-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Drivin Habits...hmmm...

Loud music is definately one of em.
I break at a very good time; I HATE drivers that I drive with that brake late, gets me ancy, but i dont say anything, thats just rude.
I never spin my tires or lauch at a silly RPM but I do usually drive the car how its meant to be...like a sports car :) I know the 5SFE isnt an engine to drive super hard, so I usually take my first gear to 5K then shift relatively early after 2nd gear, then throw it into 4th gear almost right after its in 4th, to get a nice 55 km/h purr from the engine.

Ricksta
12-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Oh yeah, my habits - I tend to brake really early, shift early, and keep the engine revs really low (I like listening to music, hard to do in a loud car, and I try to keep it quieter for my girlfriend). I also don't speed by more than 5-7mph. I am pretty sure my driving habits are one of the reasons that I haven't gotten any tickets...

it doesnt matter how loud your music is....why are you using that as an excuse? a good driver can feel his motor....like your one with it mannnn.....i have no rpm gauge...a loud ass system that makes your heart stop...and i can with it on high i can still do a perfect whole shot....although the fifth gen motor sux major donkey balls it goes as this...
1st- 0-30
2nd-30-50
3rd-fuck if i remember
4th-fuck if i remember-100
5th-100-115....i think theirs a limiter on it...

as far as my driving habits...been having heating problems since..o say since i got the car? i shift whenever i damn well please...and yet you dont even know im shifting...most people shift and your fawkin head gerks foward...thats agrivating...i'll cruise at sixty most of the time and in this town not too many ricers so no agrivation from them either.....i like to scare people sometimes...i take corners really fast and i can ride up on someones ass and turn at the last second into the next lane....man you should see these peoples faces..ha ha ha ha

Colossus20v
12-09-2005, 01:34 AM
i like to scare people sometimes...i take corners really fast and i can ride up on someones ass and turn at the last second into the next lane....man you should see these peoples faces..ha ha ha ha
You sound like a real ass. You'll grow up sometimes hopefully you live long enough to realize that.

Ricksta
12-09-2005, 01:48 AM
o i only do that if they piss me off...:thefinger otherwise im a casual driver

Hooligan
12-09-2005, 05:35 AM
You sound like a real ass. You'll grow up sometimes hopefully you live long enough to realize that.

Yes...you will either grow up or get in an accident and then you will change you ways.

Hooligan
12-09-2005, 05:37 AM
it doesnt matter how loud your music is....why are you using that as an excuse? a good driver can feel his motor....like your one with it mannnn.....i have no rpm gauge...a loud ass system that makes your heart stop...and i can with it on high i can still do a perfect whole shot....although the fifth gen motor sux major donkey balls it goes as this...
1st- 0-30
2nd-30-50
3rd-fuck if i remember
4th-fuck if i remember-100
5th-100-115....i think theirs a limiter on it...

as far as my driving habits...been having heating problems since..o say since i got the car? i shift whenever i damn well please...and yet you dont even know im shifting...most people shift and your fawkin head gerks foward...thats agrivating...i'll cruise at sixty most of the time and in this town not too many ricers so no agrivation from them either.....i like to scare people sometimes...i take corners really fast and i can ride up on someones ass and turn at the last second into the next lane....man you should see these peoples faces..ha ha ha ha

You clearly missed my point...I keep the revs low so that I can actually hear my music without causing further damage to my hearing than I am already causing with my exhaust. You are right - I generally don't have to look at the tach when I shift, I know what 3K sounds like and I shift.

KoreanJoey
12-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Yes...you will either grow up or get in an accident and then you will change you ways.

sounds pretty stupid to me. Me, I drive my car on public roads civil, but I try to spend as much time as I can out at the track and sometimes that spills over onto the twisty backroads where I live. Usually I go to 7200 in 2nd gear on freeway merging (about 65) and that's about it. Brake early, shift around 3K max during regular cruising.

Ricksta
12-09-2005, 10:36 AM
You clearly missed my point...I keep the revs low so that I can actually hear my music without causing further damage to my hearing than I am already causing with my exhaust. You are right - I generally don't have to look at the tach when I shift, I know what 3K sounds like and I shift.

i guess thats a more acceptable excuse...lol......as for everyone else........ :thefinger i do that on the rarity

Colossus20v
12-09-2005, 01:05 PM
sounds pretty stupid to me. Me, I drive my car on public roads civil, but I try to spend as much time as I can out at the track and sometimes that spills over onto the twisty backroads where I live. Usually I go to 7200 in 2nd gear on freeway merging (about 65) and that's about it. Brake early, shift around 3K max during regular cruising.
i go to 8k rpm... :D :wiggle:

KoreanJoey
12-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I have larger displacement!

All4Traction
12-09-2005, 06:11 PM
I have a habit of babysitting the shifter. I drive with one hand around 12 o'clock. This isnt really a bad habit, but i gotta break that habit so i can pass my drivers test for my next level drivers licence.

I drive spiritidly as well, in the winter more so around corners :hehe:

I think im a good driver, never had any complaints, well, just pullin e-brakes with my old POS (girls get scared on ice).

But i guess no one will say they are a shitty driver, most dont realized it if they do suck. Its scary being in a car when you think the person will crash.

Colossus20v
12-09-2005, 06:42 PM
I have larger displacement!
:thefinger ...ill have mine up to 1.8 maybe 1.9 soon enough.