PDA

View Full Version : Big Fat Unlucky Me

surfergravity
12-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I thought I was so cool. My 94 GT's motor goes pooey. So I buy a 99 GT same color for real cheap that was damaged in the rear. The 94 parts were going to be fitted onto the 99 to make the 99 brand new again.
The guy I was having do the work is a really great/trustworthy person whom I even consider a friend. His name is Earl. Earl has a shop near my car dealership and has been buying parts from me for years. Earl is originally from Jamaica and is an absolute riot be around because of his animated antics and radical accent. And there is never anything but a smile on his face.
The deal was to give him half the money before the repair half the money later. It was a good deal, no documents though.
Friday, Earl dissappeared. Phone is shut off, gates on the building are chained and locked. What happened?
I'm starting to think that maybe since there was no paperwork he fixed it quickly SOLD it and skipped town. That would have been worse case scenario...

Arcias
12-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Wow. That really sucks. Why do mechanics have to do this kinda thing?

Hope everything works out...

surfergravity
12-07-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm going today to talk to the owner of the building. Wish me luck.

surfergravity
12-07-2005, 04:27 PM
OH, MY GOD. I found out what happened, I just phoned a neighboring shop and the owner said that Earl is being detained by Immigration. I don't get it. The guy has been here for over ten years. I have met both of his sons, who are six and eight(both of which were born here in the States.) He has a legitimate, government ordained business. What does Immigration want with him?
I DO know that people can be held for months.
This is enfuriating.

Trance4c
12-07-2005, 04:34 PM
:eek: ewwww.. sorry to hear about that! its always something.. I swear. I bet he is a really nice guy and would only do good by you, most people in this world are good people.. so glad to hear its not like you originally thought! hope he is let go soon!

surfergravity
12-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Well yeah. I didn't mean to get across that he might actually do that. But the mind always fabricates the worst fear. However, I still don't like the alternative. It has to be tough on Earl and his family.
I don't want to go over there and take my car away and he doesn't get to continue the work. Would that be prudent on my part?

angryyoungnpoor
12-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Well yeah. I didn't mean to get across that he might actually do that. But the mind always fabricates the worst fear. However, I still don't like the alternative. It has to be tough on Earl and his family.
I don't want to go over there and take my car away and he doesn't get to continue the work. Would that be prudent on my part?

You do what you have to. If you need the car, I'm sure he'd understand.

partyball
12-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Is there any way you can contact him...maybe through immigration somehow? That really sucks though.

surfergravity
12-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Is there any way you can contact him...maybe through immigration somehow? That really sucks though.

I think I'll have to try to get ahold of his family. We didn't hang out outside of work. So I am not sure if that would be cool. However, I need to get my car soon. I'm having withdrawl symptoms. :(

Sean
12-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Wow, that really sucks. Talk about the unexpected.

OldUsedCelica
12-12-2005, 01:45 AM
eh... you guys remember when Padme in Star Wars Episode Three said, "...so this is how freedom dies..." and everyone is cheering and clapping? Well sorry to burst all your bubbles America but the same thing is happening now here.

All those rights and whatnot conferred to the government in the interest of National Security. Here are some basic real world test of some of those new laws (They only apply to you if you are not BORN an American citizen, naturalization will not protect you because it can be stripped from you while the only way to lose your citizenship if you were born here is to publically swear allegience to another country.)

1) The term used to detain and deport those who commited a crime is "moral turpitude". It ranges from jaywalking to murder depending on the state you live in and how the law that define your crime is written. What will deport one person in one state does not necesarry deport another who committed that same exact crime in another state.

2) It is not a criminal proceeding. Even though you are detained as a prisoner by the United States, you are not in a criminal proceeding and do not enjoy the benifit of a accused serial cannibal. You do not have the right to remain silent. You do not have the right to be represented or have legal representation provided for you if you cant afford one. You absolutely do not have the right to be heard by ANYONE other then the United States Assistant Attorny General and the Immigration Judge. You for damn sure dont have the right to a phone call. Hell you dont even have a right to where BCIS is going to detain you tomarrow. It can be anywhere in the 50 states in any prison, jail, or house of corrections.

3) There is no exact figure on how many people have been detain by USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (formerly known as BCIS (Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service) formerly known as INS (Immigration and Nartualization Service)). There is NO formal information of this release to the public.

4) There is no exact figure of how many people naturalization have been stripped from then since 9/11. Again, there is NO formal information of this release to the public.

5) You can be found deportable and actually be deported before even your family knows that you are missing. It has happened.

ect...ect...ect... What it amount to is that there is no oversight and no appeal... once they have you, you basically fall into a black hole until if and when they either let you go or deport your sorry a**.

If you dont believe me and really want to know... all it take is some creative search on the web. Dont take my word for it. Check it out for yourself.

surfergravity
12-12-2005, 03:47 AM
^Thanks for the post, it's all been handled though. Pics will come soon. :bigthumbu

Ricksta
12-12-2005, 03:59 AM
so hes going to do the work? cant wait to see the pics

surfergravity
12-12-2005, 04:08 AM
Earl is gonna be held for a while. I'm gettin someone else to handle the body work. I'm doing the rest(suspension and brake work.)

Morwan
12-12-2005, 04:25 AM
God, that blows complete ass. One of my family's friends had to leave the country because of shit like that. They held him for six months before charging him.

The government tried to charge him with aiding terrorists... When they couldn't get that, they charged him with violating his student visa for being paid to make a website.

OldUsedCelica
12-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Remind me also of what happened to the japanese citizens during WWII. If they had the transportation probablility of today, I'm sure that they would have all been deported instead of detained.

My last qoute on this is: Homeland Security = Sanction Legal Constitutional Rape