PDA

View Full Version : Need Help guys ..

lude93
12-07-2005, 04:45 AM
I recently picked up a 1990 GTS (5SFE) with 162 km on it. I did an oil change 2 days ago and after driving it for couple of days now .. i have noticed an oil burning smell right after i drove it for a while. After inspecting it further i have noticed smoke coming from the engine right after the catalytic converter (close to the headers). I have checked the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket but they seem to be fine and there is no leak over night under the car at all.

I was advised by a friend that it could be a oil pump seal. Now that i am getting timing belt and water pump changed tomorrow.... I was thinking of getting the oil pump seal changed too. I did talk to my mechanic about it... and it doesn't seem to be too keen on touching the oil pump to change any seal or gaskets.

My questions to u guys is ..
- How hard is to change the oil pump seal and is there any risk involved. ?
- Does the oil burn has anything to do with the oil level (I did fill up oil slightly higher than full mark when i did the oil change.)?
- what else would u guys recommend, besides changing water pump, timing belt, oil pump seal ?

Dr.Auto
12-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Wecome to the board!

I would take the time to answer each of your questions except I feel no reason to do so. Rather I will tell you what i think th eproblem is. Quite plainly.....you answered your own question. You just changed the oil. And when you take off the oil filter it has a tendancy to leak just a little, which in turn puddles in a few of the block casting webs. And as you drive and navagate throughout public roads and terains it slowely splashes out of the block webbing and drips down onto the exhaust pipe dirrectly below.

FiX= wash oil off block and drive. :)

Tommy91GT
12-08-2005, 06:37 AM
:stupid:

91 Celica GT-S
12-09-2005, 04:56 PM
i do oil changes all day at work that happens very often its just oil residue from the oil change wash it off with anything from water to brake cleaner and drive it around so it burns off

as for the oil pump theres an "o-ring" i replaced on mine that was leaking and it is nowhere in the shape of an "O" but if he is going to be doing the timing belt and water pump your already in there so its easy as hell to replace the seal or even the whole pump