PDA

View Full Version : `85 BMW 318i

Murgatroy
12-06-2005, 11:00 AM
I work with a guy who happens to have one. It supposedly has about $3k in new parts, clutch, brakes and many other things. He just put a new fuel pump on it, but can't seem to get it to start. I just started talking to him about the car last night. He is baffled as to what could be wrong. I know there are a few of you on here that have Bimmers or work on/near them (Moral) so I was wondering if anyone could give some advice as to what it might be.

I am interested in trading my Mustang for it, I have always wanted a BMW and that bodystyle is the sweetest.

Colossus20v
12-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Have you seen it Murg? Guy might just be doing something stupid like not having a charged battery in it or something. Does it turn over? Get spark?

SplinterCel
12-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Try the starter also. Go with the real basic stuff first. I know I've caused myself more trouble by thinking too complicated tooi quickly

MrWOT
12-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Turn the key from the off to the on position a few times without starting it, then test the pressure at the fuel rail, see if he's getting the right ammount. Should be about 36-42psi at cranking.

Murgatroy
12-06-2005, 08:15 PM
He says it will attempt to crank, he has been using a fully charged battery. Basically I think it is just not getting the fuel through the injectors. A call to the dealership suggested that he check all the fuses in the car.

I will probably take a look at it this weekend and see what I think about it.