PDA

View Full Version : Weight reduction...hood?

Flat_Tire_72GTO
12-05-2005, 03:53 AM
My 90 gt-s weighs in a few hundred pounds above factory specs, and that's a big no-no for me. Running with a stock engine and all, it's not giving me the go I want. So I'm looking at cheap ways to getting up to speed. I'm no mechanical genius, and this is my daily driver, so any work that would leave my car out in the rain for over two days is out of the question. What would you have to say about a fiberglass hood? Yes I'm aware of the raised eyebrows regarding safety concerns. I can always cut out the braces from an original hood and mold them into the glass. So what would be the best way to go about on this? Pins? Latch? Scoop? Cowl? I was originally thinking of making an identical mould from a stock hood....cutting away here and there to make room for an inverted scoop (with mesh ofcoarse, might as well go all out). Has it been done, and what's your guys' intake on this? Good? Bad? or just plain stupid?

TEAMFaint
12-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Ever think of maybe just going with a stock OEM VIS hood? They weigh about 5 pounds or so and reduce a LOT of weight! A fibreglass hood would be an interested idea, and could possibly work very well, you would just need to make sure that it is latched on very secure and possibly hood pins might help.

Flat_Tire_72GTO
12-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah I already looked into that, ebay has my selection going for about $450-600 US, whereas I can make my own hood for less then $200 Can. Hey I'm just a student fresh out of highschool, give me a break.

surfergravity
12-05-2005, 01:25 PM
With all the time spent making your own hood, then retro-fitting it to your car...you probably could have saved enough money to buy yourself a CF hood. Just my $0.02

TEAMFaint
12-05-2005, 08:44 PM
If you check out www.andysautosport.com or www.onderground-design.com they got CF hoods for our car for pretty decent deal.

Snafu
12-06-2005, 01:40 AM
I really WISH somebody would make a plain jane fiberglass hood for the 5th gen. I don't car about carbon fiber, I just want something lighter!!! I'd be the first in line if somebody made one.

-CT

Lagos
12-06-2005, 01:43 AM
us 6th gen guys are really lucky with the oem gt4 hood option. the thing is made of aluminum and weighs next to nothing.

Trance4c
12-06-2005, 02:02 AM
I might be looking into one of these stock OEM CF hoods.. I don't need the AT scoop or crap, infact.. all it does is catch unneeded air at this point.

Flat_Tire_72GTO
12-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Hell I'll make a hood for anyone who wants one, you'll have to pay for it though.

partyball
12-06-2005, 12:22 PM
How much?

magik06
12-06-2005, 05:49 PM
what me and my buddies did was take a fiberglass 240 hood and are in the process of making it fit the celica. way easier if you know how to work with "glass"

Flat_Tire_72GTO
12-07-2005, 10:52 AM
It'de be whatever my glass supplier would charge me and then some. Plus shipping if I were to send it to you.

How would that be easier? Modding, cutting, measuring? Why not just lay some mat on a hood and pour resin+catasylst on it, wait a few hours and trim, step two: repeat. That's just my take on it. It's been thought out and it's a good-to-go project, but I won't be starting on it until all my other projects have been completed, so...we're looking at about late spring, maybe summer. If anyone wants to know what my current projects are and any progress I've undergone, check out my cardomain site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2046237

AllOutRed90
12-07-2005, 01:42 PM
first off, if you were to lay some resin and mat on it, it would become higher then the rest of the body, and plus resin dont release from parts very easily. This will be much for complicated then you plan, how will this hood be supported so it doesnt push inward? will it stand up to the heat of the engine?....

do you have any prior knowledge, if not i wouldnt plan on doing soemthing this extreme as your first project.

undecided
12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
keep your heavier hood it's there for a reason, to help you out during an accident

Snafu
12-07-2005, 10:43 PM
keep your heavier hood it's there for a reason, to help you out during an accident

Um... no?

partyball
12-08-2005, 12:07 AM
How does a heavier hood really help you. I would think if it right it could come right back through the windshield. Then again this is just me thinking lol.

Flat_Tire_72GTO
12-08-2005, 07:15 AM
first off, if you were to lay some resin and mat on it, it would become higher then the rest of the body, and plus resin dont release from parts very easily. This will be much for complicated then you plan, how will this hood be supported so it doesnt push inward? will it stand up to the heat of the engine?....

do you have any prior knowledge, if not i wouldnt plan on doing soemthing this extreme as your first project.

First off, I'de only be doing a single thin layer, maybe about 1/8" thick, just to get the general shape and have something to lay my mat into. I WOULD NOT be adding mat ontop of the hood, I'de do it from underneath (that's where I would also put my supports). I don't think anyone who plans to work with fiberglass on a project this big would be completeled void of experience and knowledge, I'm aware of what resin can do, and how absorbant it is, I don't have any intetion of placing it directly on my hood without properly covering it first. I've gone about on every angle on this project, I've contacted glassing proffesionals and boat builders, much thought was put into this project prior to it's approval. I wouldn't be too worried about heat resistance, seeing as how many performance vehicles use fiberglass parts. Why would the hood "push in"? If it were anything over 1" it wouldn't even flex, let alone be "pushed in" from oncoming air flow. This also related back to what I said earlier, about there being bracers/supports within the glass.

keep your heavier hood it's there for a reason, to help you out during an accident.

Uh....care to elaborate? Heavier is does not make it stronger, sure I could make all parts of my car from lead, how heavy will it be? How strong will it be? Have you ever researched fiberglassing? If done properly it can wistand just about anything. I don't plan on going at excessive speeds that would create such an accident.

Schmleff
12-16-2005, 06:41 PM
You have to make a mold. Any other way would be a real pain. Make the mold, back it with urethane foam. pull the mold, add release and lay up four layers of medium glass on a bias. reinforce the weak spots.

the hard part is that you will have to post cure teh part in the mold, which means the mold would have to be post cured on the hood.

take out your shell, lay up some pink foam stiffeners and glass over them. Piece of cake, but it will take you 100 hours