PDA

View Full Version : OE fog lights , bulb replacement

heyman
12-04-2005, 09:36 PM
ive read somewhere , you could change out your fog light bulds on oe fog lights for brighter , whiter bulbs. has anyone done this ? thanks for any info !!
Charles

angryyoungnpoor
12-04-2005, 10:16 PM
ive read somewhere , you could change out your fog light bulds on oe fog lights for brighter , whiter bulbs. has anyone done this ? thanks for any info !!
Charles

i've done this. The bulbs are H3's. They're brighter, but they're blue.. kinda defeat the purpose of fog lights. I'm going to buy yellow one's soon.

celica204
12-10-2005, 03:23 AM
yeah the H3's are brighter, mine are burnt out right now so gotta get some new ones. I can't find them locally but you can buy them off ebay.

Galcobar
12-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Whiter does not equal brighter. In fact, any halogen bulb that shows up anything other than the standard 3200K colour is going to be dimmer than an equivalent design at the standard colour temperature.

Those whiter lights are actually tinted so filter out some of the red and yellow wavelengths. In doing so, you remove some of the light you're supposed to see by.

As far as I know, Philips is the only manufacturer who makes a high-efficiency H3 with a tint. While the tint cuts the amount of light, the high-efficiency bulb design puts out enough light to compensate, so the overall light output is about what a standard H3 produces. Of course, being at a higher frequency, it won't penetrate fog, rain or snow as well.

Check powerbulbs.co.uk IIRC.

jdg371
02-11-2006, 05:57 PM
got a question about a bulb replacement..

I grabbed a pair of 92GT fog lamps.. would they fit in my 91? i noticed that the bumper design is different but the housing looks the same....

oh yea replacing the bulb... what did you guys do to take the glass part out? it seems glued.. and the bulb is just stuck in there.. do I heat it up or something? can some one help me?

thanks

Galcobar
02-12-2006, 12:08 PM
You don't take the glass lens out of the housing to reach the bulb, you take housing off the car. Rather like a headlight, the housing includes the glass and the bulb is changed from the rear of the housing.

The fog lamp housing is held onto the car two ways: by the aluminum bezel around it, which is held down by a single screw, and by the rubber boot around the wiring, which is held on by the boot's elasticity.

To change the bulb, you have to pull the housing out (a few inches) and then disconnect the wiring between the bulb and the car. One wire runs directly to the bulb from the car. The other wire is a two-piece affair: the bulb has a couple inches of wiring built into it, which reach the car's wiring within the rubber boot.

Removing the bulb from the housing is simple -- pop the wire clamp off and remove the bulb.

As a general rule, stuff that needs to be replaced on a car within it's expected lifetime does not require a heat gun. Lightbulbs fall within the category of expected replacements.

jdg371
02-15-2006, 01:42 AM
I have done what you said Galcobar.. but the problem is that the bulb is not connected to the wire. Right now the bulb is just bouncing in the Fog housing. The 2 screws holding the aluminum piece in the Fog seems to be stuck. I have gotten one of them out but the other one won't budge. Im too scared to strip the screw

jaded_driver
02-15-2006, 02:18 AM
:worthless

they would help...?

jdg371
02-23-2006, 12:05 AM
pics soon.. no camera anywhere near me right now. althought the bad new is that they dont even fit my celi -.-

It seems that the 92 Celica I got it from has a different bumper than my 91 :owned: .. So now I might just sell it.. how much is the price for the fog lamps? w/o brackets?

evilcel
02-23-2006, 03:06 PM
I put some silvanias(says H3 on the packaging) in mine, the ones that were in there were alot brighter.... possibly silverstars (which Im gonna go get instead)