PDA

View Full Version : Type Wax?

surfergravity
12-04-2005, 03:16 AM
What you use, where you get it, and how much you spend...?

Gary
12-04-2005, 03:52 AM
I'm cheap, so, $12 for a bottle of Zymol does the job for me.

Morwan
12-04-2005, 08:15 AM
I used Meguiar's NXT Wax. It's spendy stuff ($13 at Wal-Mart), but it was definitely worth it. It's been two months, it still looks pretty good (my paint was dull as hell).

Galcobar
12-05-2005, 10:32 AM
I use NXT wax, but I do a full job most times with a cleaner twice a year and a polish four times.

blck87gtconv
12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
It depends, but if it's just a standard wash n wax.. zymol for me.

surfergravity
12-05-2005, 04:53 PM
You guys have buff bonnets? Or do you use elbow grease?

Morwan
12-05-2005, 06:09 PM
I use elbow grease. NXT is comes off pretty easily.

blck87gtconv
12-08-2005, 10:05 AM
You guys have buff bonnets? Or do you use elbow grease?
Elbow grease and terry cloth towels.. to a finishing water-mist polish with a microfiber cloth.. also powered by elbow-grease. (note: that's a zymol specific thing.. it might not work with all waxes).

Galcobar
12-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Since Zymol is actually an acrylic last-step product, most of what works well with it doesn't work well with carnauba waxes, or polymer protectants for that matter.

nuclearhappines
12-13-2005, 03:22 PM
i've started using meguires quick wax (carnauba based) whatever that means.

i used to use eagle 1 wet wax in the states (on the vr4) and i fell in love with the wet wax/quick wax concept...

the C200 is red...and so the waxing (even though it's only 6 months old) is really helping it stay a deep red rather than falling on the kiddy / corolla side of the red spectrum.

surfergravity
12-15-2005, 01:56 PM
:whistles: Good info. I'm gonna give my 99 the royal treatment when I get her back. Finally got it out of holding. I'm so excited.

blck87gtconv
12-16-2005, 05:35 AM
:whistles: Good info. I'm gonna give my 99 the royal treatment when I get her back. Finally got it out of holding. I'm so excited.
"The royal treatment" involved FAR more than simply "what kind of wax?".. just fyi.

surfergravity
12-16-2005, 02:26 PM
"The royal treatment" involved FAR more than simply "what kind of wax?".. just fyi.
True, but that's a different thread completely. I fully intend on doing more than just asking you what kind of wax you use. :slap:

Azzazzyn
12-27-2005, 06:17 AM
i use meg quickwax, every weekend she gets a bath

blck87gtconv
01-03-2006, 02:00 AM
True, but that's a different thread completely. I fully intend on doing more than just asking you what kind of wax you use. :slap:
My answer will change if you ask what I use when I do a detail.. which is kind of the point I was trying to make.

I would go with a high quality pure carnauba wax.. not a cleaner wax. Since MOST waxes you see on the market are cleaner-waxes, It's a bit of a different question.

I don't have the budget to try out 8000000000000 different waxes.. so I have a hard time recommending one over another.. but I've used the ever-generic Meguiar's 1-2-3 step line of products with good results. but with all things done by hand, much of the result is based on the craftsmanship.. moreso than the products used... not that those don't make a difference either, but you get what I'm saying. If this is something you won't be doing too often.. I suggest just going with something easy like the meguiar's 1-2-3 deep crystal line. If this is something you're going to seriously get into, you'll know after going through those bottles, and by then, you'll have researched enough to know what to look for in a paint cleaner, a polish, a wax, or a sealer.

Self-education is the best kind, imo.

surfergravity
01-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Good stuff. I bought some Meguires. Seems to be the most readily available in my parts. However, I've heard good things about Pinnacle. I think I just might order some next time my rep is at the dealership.

BTW blk87gtconv, I'll be providing the wax to the prep guys that I work with. I merely wanted to know what you guys use and gather a rough poll of everyone's favorite. Now, I would love to get out there myself right now and get some "self-education" as you adequately put it, but they owe me a couple favors after I took care of their parts needs. :)

blck87gtconv
01-04-2006, 10:20 PM
I gotcha... good luck with that. I'm not sure how much I'd trust my car's paint in someone else's care. Hope they do good work.

RallyK
01-15-2006, 04:32 PM
The consensus here at NAPA is that Meguire's is the best.

carlosfandango
01-23-2006, 02:54 AM
I haven't tried everything, but bought a whole bunch of meguiars products and found them very good.

once I had the paint clean I used Show Car Glaze, I gave it 3 applications. this can be applied to wax. this gives a gloss laquer finish. I use Meg's Gold Class on top of this glaze. results are excellent.

I think it depends on the collour of your ride and as Jason added it's in the craftmanship. I use elbow grease, I like to 'feel' what I'm doing. a machine can't quite cut it as far as i'm concerned.

Latro21
02-15-2006, 09:48 AM
best auto care website = www.properautocare.com

i agree with jason, use the meguiars 3 part deep crystal system with the deep crystal wash-i never got around to waxing it because of my back but with just elbow grease it made a HUGE difference on my dark green metallic celica. if u have a dark car its the way to go. as for wax i use meguiars gold class liquid, but once i can find their high tech yellow wax ill be using that until i get some cash together and get some stuff off that website i posted above, mainly the porter cable random orbital polisher

d1alltrac
03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
zymol is good stuff..its what i use mostly

i know the meguair's 3 step stuff is good too...and dont forget the clay bar.

you should look into zaino polish too, its not wax and you actually dont use wax at all when using it...some people swear by it, namely s2k guys

blck87gtconv
03-15-2006, 08:01 AM
zymol is good stuff..its what i use mostly

i know the meguair's 3 step stuff is good too...and dont forget the clay bar.

you should look into zaino polish too, its not wax and you actually dont use wax at all when using it...some people swear by it, namely s2k guys
That's under the classification of "sealers".. not polishes or waxes.

that's a different field alltogether.

convertiblechick
04-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Collinite. I use the 476S, and it said it lasts a year. It does-and then some. I haven't waxed it for over a year now (it's due). It looks none the worse for wear. If I really wanna 'revive" it, I buff it.
It's also detergent proof. My car gets TONS of baths 'cause black is a bitch to keep clean.
NOT cheap though! Multiply that Zymol price x 3...but to me it's worth it.
The car hasn't complained yet either. :rolleyes:

85gtsblackman
04-23-2006, 07:20 PM
im going to use the tib for my next test

but ive used 3m products and they seem to be working good so far, well i use everything 3m except for the wax , it was zymol

but now i have a bunch of differnt waxes ,polishes and cleaners, none really match so ill test em out, my combo i did on the gts turned out well.

i do have a mid grade megiures clay bar though, ill have a harsher type one on monday

btw i get this stuff for free or cheap

Blackcloud
05-14-2006, 06:48 AM
Ive been trying eagle one nanowax... im not sure how much i like it.. but it does shine tho

ty_44_69
05-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I use Mother's three step wax. Takes a long time to do it but makes the car look like a skating rink! Smooth a glass, looks great.
Takes approx. 5 hours to do the whole process, including washing car before hand.