PDA

View Full Version : springs and shocks

Project_ST184
12-02-2005, 04:44 PM
i was just wondering that if i bought after market springs like eibachs or something, would i also have to buy new shocks as well? my friend told me that i had to get new shocks b/c of something. i forgot what he said but yeah. and if i have to buy shocks which ones would you recommend?

COLDAX
12-02-2005, 04:46 PM
most ppl get KYB. whatever you do don't get Monroe or Gabriel they are too soft and don't last long.

Murgatroy
12-02-2005, 05:14 PM
If you buy shorter springs (lowering) the reason you will want new struts is because the springs will be stiffer. They will cause your car to bounce on bumps and will blow out your stock high mileage struts in no time.

3sgte@daspeedof
12-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Just wait a little bit teins just might be available for us soon.

angryyoungnpoor
12-03-2005, 02:22 AM
Yeah for a good 1500 bux. :)

Lagos
12-03-2005, 03:56 AM
you dont HAVE to get new shocks, but its a really good idea to install new ones because your current ones will not last long on a lowered car. so do it right the 1st time. new kyb shocks dont cost all that much

Rayme
12-03-2005, 08:02 PM
I can attest that Monroes wont last long..took about 2 months to totally kill them on my teins springs. The ride is still good but real noisy...

Project_ST184
12-04-2005, 01:11 AM
you dont HAVE to get new shocks, but its a really good idea to install new ones because your current ones will not last long on a lowered car. so do it right the 1st time. new kyb shocks dont cost all that much

how much are kybs?

Adrian Avgerinos
12-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Come on now, you know that isn't true, unless your definition of "soon" is 12-18 months from now.

I shit you not, a company as large as TEIN is not going to start selling a new product overnight even if a minor change to a current product is needed. They first need to study the market. After that they need to determine profitability, and cost. After that, a prototype needs to be made and test fitted and tuned. Then they need to determine production run information and how it will affect the rest of their product line. After all that, then the product can be produced and shipped to vendors for sale.

Mr. Project_ST184-

You can probably get away with using NEW stock shocks like the ones from KYB or Monroe. The increased spring rate of most lowering springs are not that much more than stock. You can pick up KYB's at places like tirerack.com or shox.com.

Doc
12-04-2005, 09:02 PM
how much are kybs?

Find on tirerack.com here:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Celica+GT&autoYear=1992&autoModClar=&make=KYB&model=GR-2+Cartridge&group=GR-2&partNum=365075&perfCode=P

Currently on a 92 and 90 Celica GT they are $43 per front and $67 per rear.

Be sure to check the condition of your strut mounts for higher mileage cars... new struts on bad mounts will not net a very good improvement. Like Lagos said, do it right the first time. Aftermarket mounts are around $50 per corner, over $100 per from toyota.