PDA

View Full Version : Inner tie rod

w0nderbr3ad
12-25-2004, 06:28 PM
I have a bent inner tie rod and was wondering how to get it out without taking the power steering rack off. I know theres a inner tie rod removal tool out there but all the local shops only carry the tie rod separator. Does anyone know a way to get it off since I don't have access to the tool. I can see the ball joint but I have no clue how to get it off. Thanks in advance.

TRDmkII
12-26-2004, 04:40 PM
I beleive it just unscrews....someone correct me if i'm wrong. but remove the outer tie rod endand count the splines or turns...then remove the boot..you should see how the tie rod connects and i beleive even if you dont' have the tool you can take a big pair of channel locks grab it and start to untwist it...I may be wrong but i'm sure thats how you remove it.

whtcelionteins
12-26-2004, 07:53 PM
We have an inner tie-rod? I thought so to but parts dealers says no part number for such... Got a picture of it or where its located?

Laters,

w0nderbr3ad
12-26-2004, 10:19 PM
the tie rod end screws off. The actual tie rod (inner tie rod) is connected to the tie rod end. I'll try and see if a channel lock will get it off for me. Thanks.

TRDmkII
12-26-2004, 10:22 PM
they still call them tie rod ends for some reason...you have the inner and outer tie rod ends...lol, of course where ever you go people call different parts by different names.

42qn30
12-27-2004, 11:55 PM
i had a mechanic do it but i watched. He cut all but about 4" of the inner tie rod off. then he used a very long cylindrical socket to remove the inner tie rod nut. (This is attached to the steering rack) then put the new one on using the same tool.

w0nderbr3ad
12-28-2004, 12:18 AM
yea that cylindrical socket is that tool i needed but none of the shops carry them. how much did you pay for your mechanic to do it?