PDA

View Full Version : 3sge

Turbo515
12-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi. i have an 88 celica gts with the stock 3SGE engine. Im looking to replace my engine sometime in the near future and was wondering if this engine would fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-Celica-3SGE-Low-Mile-Engine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8018 211678QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

in there it says something like it will only fit an 87-89 GT and ST and other then that fits the st-185. i think the 88 celica gts is a st-165? anyway will it fit? if it does, will i have to do any mods to get it installed?

thanks for your help.

Murgatroy
12-02-2005, 11:17 AM
It should bolt right in, that appears to be a a 1rst Gen 3SGE, the same engine already in your car. Since it is not equiped with EGR and so forth it might not be emmisions legal.

I am not a 4th Gen expert though. I am just going off of picture recognition.

angryyoungnpoor
12-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Look at your engine, and then look at it. It's probably the same. That engine came out of a 4th gen Gt-s. The St-165 is an Alltrac. That has the 3sgte.

It will fit no problem. All you would need is the engine if you're planning on getting another 3sge.

Turbo515
12-03-2005, 12:07 AM
yeah ok its the same. i just thought that maybe two different gen engines looked the same but i guess i was wrong. i was thinking about putting in a 3sgte but it looks like that would not be that easy to do. is 450 us plus shipping a good price for that engine? i figure if it has under 40k it should be good. thx

-also, is there any advantage to having the JDM engine? thanks

angryyoungnpoor
12-03-2005, 02:18 AM
yeah ok its the same. i just thought that maybe two different gen engines looked the same but i guess i was wrong. i was thinking about putting in a 3sgte but it looks like that would not be that easy to do. is 450 us plus shipping a good price for that engine? i figure if it has under 40k it should be good. thx

-also, is there any advantage to having the JDM engine? thanks

Advantage would be no egr, which means a little more power. Though.. if you're in cali, you'd end up having the put one on. You could just take the one from your engine and you can put it on there. Could apply to other states too.

Turbo515
12-03-2005, 02:34 AM
k thanks. I live in british columbia canada. we have something called aircare which is the same thing as a smog test. im not sure how much the egr would help emissions but the max allowable for my car is 1369 ppm. In the other forum im having trouble finding out where my O2 sensor plugs in so i already have double the max allowable. thx for the reply

-one more thing, the seller said it would cost about 170 dollars US to get to my house in vancouver BC. Would i have any other fees other then that 170 dollars? thanks

-also will the stock ECU work for the jdm version of this engine? i was reading somewhere that if you use the stock ECU that your engine gets knocks or pinging sounds which kills the engine. this this true?thanks

angryyoungnpoor
12-03-2005, 08:07 AM
k thanks. I live in british columbia canada. we have something called aircare which is the same thing as a smog test. im not sure how much the egr would help emissions but the max allowable for my car is 1369 ppm. In the other forum im having trouble finding out where my O2 sensor plugs in so i already have double the max allowable. thx for the reply

-one more thing, the seller said it would cost about 170 dollars US to get to my house in vancouver BC. Would i have any other fees other then that 170 dollars? thanks

-also will the stock ECU work for the jdm version of this engine? i was reading somewhere that if you use the stock ECU that your engine gets knocks or pinging sounds which kills the engine. this this true?thanks

I'd check with the seller. I'm sure there would be fees. Just like anything shipping to Canada. The ecu should work. I'm going to be using a US ECU on my JDM engine. Everything'll hook up.

Galcobar
12-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Japanese engines run as clean or cleaner than the North American versions. Tailpipe tests aren't the problem -- visual inspections are. Visit Aircare's website, they've actually got the whole explanation on engine swaps relatively well laid out.

BTW, do me a favour? What style of manifold does your 3SGE use? A log-style (one big hunk of metal with holes bored into it) or tubular (separate tubes)?

Rick89GTS
12-04-2005, 12:46 AM
Don't forget 4.5% customs duties, 7% GST and 7% PST.

Youds
12-04-2005, 05:25 AM
88 GT-S = st162 :D

schmooot
12-05-2005, 11:01 PM
where are you getting this engine? from the states? I wouldn't, there are autowreckers in eastern canada that import jdm 3SGE's with <100,000 kms on them, and then you won't get hit with a duty fee at the border. I bought mine from sunrise japanese auto parts (http://www.sunrisejapanese.com/first.html) in quebec, there are also a couple more but I forget them. But please before you get a motor from the states check some of these places out, keep your hard earned money in canada eh

edit: and the jdm engine doesn't have egr stuff so aircare might be a problem but you might be able to mickey mouse something to pass, or get the inspection done just before the swap, then you don't have to worry about it till next year. And if you need help with this swap I've done it a couple times and I'm sure some of the other guys here are quite knowledgeable in this area

Turbo515
12-06-2005, 03:44 AM
yeah, your right. about 10 mins before i was going to bid on it i phoned a jap engine place and found one for 600 dollars. He said it has 75,000 kms on it which is good. That will be alot cheaper then paying all that stuff. Now i just need to find someone that knows how to do it and that has an engine hoist.

Galcobar
12-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Japanese engines run just as or cleaner than North American engines, so a tailpipe test won't be a problem. It's only if your jurisdiction specifies the type of equipment that you could have a problem. Aircare, in B.C., doesn't require an EGR -- just a clean emissions test, a catalytic converter and a functional sealing gas cap (depending on year of manufacture).

Gurr
12-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Get a 185 ECU and have wiring harness, then you should be set. Using Chris D's site for help here and there.

angryyoungnpoor
12-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Get a 185 ECU and have wiring harness, then you should be set. Using Chris D's site for help here and there.

Or.. he could just use his existing harness and ecu. The replacing engines, not swapping. :)