PDA

View Full Version : Tuneup Cost and Parts

Morwan
11-30-2005, 05:24 AM
It's getting cold, and I need to take my car in for a tuneup. I was planning to do it myself, but winter is approaching and I don't have a garage.

The last tuneup was 12,000 miles ago. I'm going to replace the spark plugs (any recommendations?) and ask him to check the distributor, hoses, and belts. How long would that take? While cleaning the throttle body loosened up the gas pedal, it still stumbles a bit below 2500 RPM. Are there any things I should ask him to look at or replace?

Tommy91GT
11-30-2005, 06:51 AM
I'd go with NGK Plugs and wires(if you are changing wires). OEM (Denso) wires are awesome, but expensive. NGK are great quality but much cheaper, specially online. Stay away from Bosch, they don't work well with toyotas. Depending what he finds, or says he finds, a tune-up should only take about 30 min. Change your oil if it's time and have your radiator flushed and refilled for the winter. If you can check your battery fluid do that also and bring it up to the proper level with distilled water.

Dr.Auto
12-01-2005, 04:36 AM
My first choice would also be denso plugs/wires/cap/rotor.
Second would be NGK

DO NOT use Bosch, autolite, or splitfire.

A flat rate shop is going to charge you about 1.5 hours no matter how long it really takes. So take you 1.5 multiplied by his hourely shop rate plus the price of parts and thats what your cost is.