PDA

View Full Version : Smog and Custom Intakes

Celicaguy13
11-27-2005, 01:55 AM
Hey all. I just smogged my car today and before I tested the car I asked the smog tech that I had a Custom made intake and if he would accept it. He asked to look at it and once looking at my car he tells me that it's legal in our car as long as you have a K&N filter. I told him that I heard that If the intake doesnt have a carb sticker its illegal. He then tells me that because our cars don't have MAFS in the intake, it doesn't matter. The tech was a pretty old "hulk hogen" looking guy and had years of experience. So I'm pretty sure he knew what he was talking about. I just thought maybe some of you didn't know this and would be useful info.

BTW, I do live in california.

Celicaguy13
11-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Also I was talking about 5th gens, which 6 gens also have the 5s so i believe it applies to them too. But definately not the 7th gen.

BEAMS
11-29-2005, 07:13 AM
Where are you located?

Celicaguy13
11-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Modesto ca

funny I bought my current celica from santa rosa.

BEAMS
11-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Nm, read to fast, good to know. I passed smog with having to use my stock intake and pulling the timing to stock and a few other things, pain in the ass but i passed, barelly.
I wonder if this will work on the CHP, they say you must have a carb cert label on the intake here for california. I still have to get my car inspected, 10 dollar ticket and a waist of my time for one of the most retarded laws ever made for our cars. All that should matter is passing the sniff test, thus having cleaner air, thats what the reall goal is over here.
What it comes down to is for the CHP to make the most $ they possibly can, there is no other reason for this law. Its not saving lives, thats their main goal, but in reality its also making more $ for their funds, healthcare, partol cars, guns, training etc.
I obey the laws here by using commen sense but this one does not make any sense to me.
Im gonna talk to arnold about this, lol. Again another example of 1, stupid people who live here. 2, votes are manipulated to the one with the most $.

Sorry for my rant, but im pissed.

surfergravity
11-29-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm from San Diego. I sure miss the West Coast. 'Specially now that it's frigid temps again in Michigan.

Celicaguy13
11-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I'm going to see if I can get that smog tech to give me some info on how I can get somekind of verification from him or b.a.r. themselves so cops cant hassle if they ever pop my hood.