PDA

View Full Version : books

3DZ
11-26-2005, 09:59 PM
what are the good books to read about engine tuning, suspension or any other. may be 3sgte specific or even all trac?

surfergravity
11-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Actually you can avoid hitting the books, the best way to do it is find as much stuff on a website such as this. You really can't get better info than when it's from people who have done or are doing the work.

angryyoungnpoor
11-26-2005, 11:11 PM
mostly agreed, but much of it isn't detailed,a nd you don't want to fuck up your car with someone's "knowledge" on a subject. If you need to know something let us know after you search for it. If you don't understand, ask questions. Hayne's manuals and the other one.. Chilton's? are decent reads. You can look up on google and such also. I don't really do much book reading, mostly online reading, and do a lot of stuff on my own.

Sean
11-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Jeff Hartman How to tune an Engine Mangement Sytem. Barnes and Noble, 22 bucks! Best book in the world!

It has 15 pages on tuning a 500hp mr2. Then around another 15 pages on a twin charged 1mz in a mr2!

Book is simply amazing. Yet, it does require a certain level of understanding before you open it.

surfergravity
11-26-2005, 11:20 PM
mostly agreed, but much of it isn't detailed,a nd you don't want to fuck up your car with someone's "knowledge" on a subject. If you need to know something let us know after you search for it. If you don't understand, ask questions. Hayne's manuals and the other one.. Chilton's? are decent reads. You can look up on google and such also. I don't really do much book reading, mostly online reading, and do a lot of stuff on my own.

Haynes and Chilton refer to OE replacement/trouble shooting. Nothing much beyond that.

3DZ--If your'e upgrading, even online magazines(sport compact car/turbo/tuner) have tech articles in archival sites(less $$.) There's endless possiblities.

3DZ
11-27-2005, 01:17 AM
i'm very knowlegeble in normal upgrades, maintenace and what they do. however not every one knows how to dyno tune or corner balancing or even degreeing a cam. knowlege like this make the car fit to YOUR specifics.

its really fun knowing how people blew up their car, not in the internet is true. i'm trying understand why parts works and making all your parts work all together. like choosing when to hold back on power for reliability to save money. why japanese tuners like the car little bit on the rich (A/F) side?

i'm sure everyone is interested in that.

what are good internet sites then other than that MR2 primer.

slvrblt
11-27-2005, 01:24 AM
http://store.sae.org/ books and other stuff on anything automotive

PhillyDRFT
11-27-2005, 03:57 AM
Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell, if you ever want to think about turbocharging anything. Like they said theres a lot of usefull information out there on the internet. Lots of usefull links in this forum itself to not application specific material but to general topic information about suspension tech tuning ect... some of the DSM message boards get heavy into the enginearing and those kids are gold when it comes to DIY.

creech_r
12-01-2005, 01:57 AM
hmm, throwing out an idea, maybe a blow by blow thread on how a gen X 3s-gte works. by a knowledgable that's dealt with them a lot and has extra time...could be a compiled bit, or something written over time. i imagine a few people would love to read it and would learn a lot. Especially those who don't understand the turbo portion. But that would be a book. I've read bits and pieces all over the place from MR2, alltrac, gt4 boards etc...but i still don't know everything (nor will i, at least until i get the friggin car).