PDA

View Full Version : I dyed My INTERIOR completely Black

ocb_dave_ocb
11-26-2005, 09:25 PM
What do you guys think?

These pics dont do justice, The carpet and seats are alot darker in real life..
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/ocb_dave_ocb/DSC02304.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/ocb_dave_ocb/DSC02305.jpg

partyball
11-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Looks nice. I've been considering doing mine the same. Did you use colorbond to do it?

ocb_dave_ocb
11-26-2005, 10:39 PM
i used Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Dye

surfergravity
11-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Looks good.

ocb_dave_ocb
11-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Looks good.

Thanks

Luni
11-27-2005, 12:01 AM
how much does it cost you to do something like this, and how long would the dye be good for?

How easy/hard is it?

You should do some sort of a writeup you f00.

ocb_dave_ocb
11-27-2005, 01:41 AM
It cost me $28.05 after Tax... ($5.29+tax/can) Im not really sure on how long the dye will last, It wasnt too hard, the only hard part was taping up everything you dont want painted, for the front window I used a big piece of carboard cut to the shape of my window...

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being an oil change, 10 being an engine Rebuild) I would give this about a 2 maybe a 3..

I might do a write up later or tomorrow..

Mister2T
11-27-2005, 05:56 AM
Yea I have used that stuff, nice stuff, you did a good job, what i thought was neat is, its kinda like spray paint but on carpet and such it still feels like carpet heh. I think durability is pretty good as long as you dont use alot of carpet cleaners on it...

ocb_dave_ocb
11-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Here are a couple of more pics.... I am thinking about putting my seat covers back on for the time being... Do any of you guys know how much it would cost to wrap two buckets in black leather?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/ocb_dave_ocb/DSC02307.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/ocb_dave_ocb/DSC02308.jpg

InitialD93
11-27-2005, 07:15 PM
about $400

ocb_dave_ocb
11-27-2005, 07:21 PM
about $400

DAYUM its really that much, I was going to call a local guy tomorrow, but it would probably be cheaper to find some at a bone yard

Disco Dan
11-28-2005, 05:43 PM
here's another idea. Get on ebay or some place where you can get wholesale leather by the square yard or foot or whatever. Take your seat covers off (snap ring pliers will become your best friend) lay them flat. Now take apart all of the seams. You'll now have a bunch of individual funny shaped pieces of cloth. Trace the cloth outlines onto your new leather. Mark the places where you want the seams to be.

Now here's the hard part:

Find a girl friend (they just seem better at it than guys) who can sew. Pay her for it, just not as much as you'd pay to have it done professionally. Even if you pay her $100 you save money and she makes a nice profit considering she's selling time (i.e. you already bought the materials). If the parts are cut to the right size and hemmed back together properly, it should fit like a glove.

ocb_dave_ocb
11-28-2005, 05:52 PM
I was considering doing that Disco... I can sew pretty good (HOME EC) in high school I have been looking at www.yourautotrim.com they seem to have some good stuff.. I was thinking about leaving my carpet black and leaving the stereo surround/gauge surround all black, and doing my seats in black leather, and wraping the dash door panels in Gray Tweed or Purple Tweed... I think that would be tight

85gtsblackman
11-29-2005, 12:18 AM
i always like seeing your truck keep up the good job

btw have u ever thought of putting the 4 runner gauge cluster in, that way u would have oil pressure, tach, and some other stuff that yours doesnt have.

and u need a different steering wheel, i hate those 2 spoke wheels, u can get the bride one off ebay for cheap

do u have enough room to put one of those aftermarker ceter consoles in, ya know the type with the 2 can holders and the center part can be a storage compartment or a fridge.

or u could use the console from a 4 runner

sorry im helpin a friend fix up a 94 truck and its rubbin off on me

ocb_dave_ocb
11-29-2005, 01:32 AM
i always like seeing your truck keep up the good job

btw have u ever thought of putting the 4 runner gauge cluster in, that way u would have oil pressure, tach, and some other stuff that yours doesnt have.

and u need a different steering wheel, i hate those 2 spoke wheels, u can get the bride one off ebay for cheap

do u have enough room to put one of those aftermarker ceter consoles in, ya know the type with the 2 can holders and the center part can be a storage compartment or a fridge.

or u could use the console from a 4 runner

sorry im helpin a friend fix up a 94 truck and its rubbin off on me

hey I appreciate the interest.. I dont actually have room between the seats for a console, the bass cannon is in with a VERY TIGHT squeeze.. I havent really thought about the 4 runner guage's do they fit right in? Everything plugs up etc? Also the steering wheel is gonna be replaced soon with either an apc black leather on black metal or a black on black grant wheel..

Im working on a photoshop of my new idea for a paint scheme.. If i do it, the interior is going to get redone..

I will keep the black around the gauges/stereo, and i will keep the carpet black, gonna have the seats done in black leather, and then the dash and door panels are going to be done in either gray tweed or purple tweed...

I will post up the Chop as soon as its done

Murgatroy
11-29-2005, 09:31 AM
I dig your truck Dave, like Joe I always enjoy seeing your latest pictures. The interior looks really good, a new wheel and I think it will be superb. The chop in your sig is aight, but the hood needs some serious work. That is just my opinion, but I think cowl induction hoods only work on Chevelles, Chevy Fullsize Trucks and Camaros. That is me though.

Punisher
12-02-2005, 06:04 AM
You can be modest with cowl induction...

ocb_dave_ocb
12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
I decided NO cowl hood.. My new sig is what im going for.. Im just gonna bag it and NOT body drop it that way i can keep the stock hood..

Mister2T
12-02-2005, 11:08 PM
well I hope you get your truck looking like the one in the pic, that is pimp as hell, and how did you put the scheme on your truck and my it look like the paint job?

ocb_dave_ocb
12-03-2005, 06:45 AM
well I hope you get your truck looking like the one in the pic, that is pimp as hell, and how did you put the scheme on your truck and my it look like the paint job?

I sure do hope i get it looking like that too.. .BTW i did the paint with Photo SHop

Mister2T
12-03-2005, 02:53 PM
well i Have used photo shop but surely you had to do some layers or something, have a did you read a write up on it or somthing oob?

ocb_dave_ocb
12-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Nope didn't do any layers I just played around with it until i got it how I wanted it

Mister2T
12-03-2005, 03:05 PM
dammit heh, i want to do some designs on my car, i want to get it re re painted hehl

schmooot
12-04-2005, 02:19 AM
here's another idea. Get on ebay or some place where you can get wholesale leather by the square yard or foot or whatever. Take your seat covers off (snap ring pliers will become your best friend) lay them flat. Now take apart all of the seams. You'll now have a bunch of individual funny shaped pieces of cloth. Trace the cloth outlines onto your new leather. Mark the places where you want the seams to be.

Now here's the hard part:

Find a girl friend (they just seem better at it than guys) who can sew. Pay her for it, just not as much as you'd pay to have it done professionally. Even if you pay her $100 you save money and she makes a nice profit considering she's selling time (i.e. you already bought the materials). If the parts are cut to the right size and hemmed back together properly, it should fit like a glove.
I've looked into this, yes it is an easy process, only problem is it takes a sewing machine on steroids to do upholstery, or just leather period. Any old sewing machine just won't cut it, thats the only thing stopping me from doing this myself