PDA

View Full Version : Christmas 3SGTE

jaded_driver
11-25-2005, 02:18 AM
Hey guys... where can i get the best 3SGTE engine only? I want the latest model i can find.. may end up getting one of these for christmas, don't need the wiring harness and all those good cookies as i'm going to get a front clip to convert to a RHD...

Thanks for the help

ummmx2
11-25-2005, 06:38 AM
if your already getting a front clip..then it should come with the motor. anyways, check your local engine importers. or look at jarco or venus-auto or some engine importer like that

KoreanJoey
11-25-2005, 11:39 AM
RHD conversion = code for illegally imported... otherwise, stupid.

PhillyDRFT
11-25-2005, 03:04 PM
yeah im with joey, Not calling it stupid, I allways thought it would be fun to drive a RHD car just because its different. but it will attract a lot of attention from jonny law to see you on the wrong side of the car.

Justin
11-25-2005, 11:22 PM
I always thought RHD would be badass, cause you can take a big black lab and put it riding shotgun. People would think the dog was driving and freak out.

GTinvader
11-25-2005, 11:50 PM
yeah i was actually thinking about doing RHD conversion but i dont have the money to buy a front clip. i had a friend that did a RHD conv. on two 240's, one he took the s13 and made it look like a skyline and the other was an s14 he made look like a silvia. it was pretty sick. the only problem is that he cant go through drive-thrus.

jaded_driver
11-26-2005, 03:31 AM
the only problem is that he cant go through drive-thrus.

wow... didn't think about that one... lol...

as for the law issue... i've not talked to them in awhile but you can get it 'inspected' via ur local insurance company and as long as they insure the transition than there is nothing illigit about it..

:-D i'm doing it either way... i live in a hick town...

as for engine importers... lol hick town... don't have anything like that here.. someplace that will deliver would be awesome..

xeril
11-29-2005, 08:07 AM
i've been pondering the rhd conversion and i believe it would be relatively easy. haha, anyone on the east coast have the pieces left over from their front clip?

trumanpriest
11-29-2005, 03:30 PM
"Midewest Engine" I bought a 5SFE for my old 91 coupe after I threw a rod and they were very easy to deal with and the price wasn't bad. They did have 3sgte and 3sfe at the time. (that was 5yers ago.) I have seen a few on ebay (i'm not a big fan of ebay though)- there have been some jdm spec from time to time; water to air- which looked real clean.

GRUMPY514
11-29-2005, 07:52 PM
RHD would be nice but would be a LOT more difficult than swapping an engine.

PhillyDRFT
11-30-2005, 02:34 AM
yeah your going to have to totally swap out the rack and pinion. possably modify various suspension parts to accept the new geometry of the steering side. not to mention your clutch linkages, breaks and gas pedals will all have to be swaped to the other side. keep in mind its not as easy as puting in a new steering shaft and driving off

90CelicaST
11-30-2005, 04:41 AM
I've been wanting to do this too. But I have a question. Are the GTS and AllTrac/GT-FOURS the only identical cars. As in, would a front clip only match the GTS due to the "widebody"? Or are they all the same? GT, ST, GTS? It would be badass to have a RHD ST! It would be badder to have an AllTrac ST, but that is another thread, another flame war. Good luck on the conversion.

KoreanJoey
11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
yeah your going to have to totally swap out the rack and pinion. possably modify various suspension parts to accept the new geometry of the steering side. not to mention your clutch linkages, breaks and gas pedals will all have to be swaped to the other side. keep in mind its not as easy as puting in a new steering shaft and driving off

USDM CARS DON'T HAVE SLOTS/ HOLES FOR RHD STEERING, PEDALS ECT... if you look RHD celicas you'll see that the cars are actually different (firewall dimensons are slightly off, ect)... if you're gonna do a RHD conversion (I still think it's stupid and a waste of time) reweld the firewall from a RHD onto a LHD car that way you can make sure that all the holes are where they need to be.

90CelicaST
11-30-2005, 01:26 PM
reweld the firewall from a RHD onto a LHD car that way you can make sure that all the holes are where they need to be.
That's the plan I was going with. That's how the Honda guys do it. Or, atleast, the RHD Honda CR-X "SiR". I wouldn't know why someone wouldn't add that part...Oh well.

KoreanJoey
11-30-2005, 05:50 PM
I mean... I've driven around RHD cars for a few weeks and it gets to be taxing after a while, only really nice thing is parking in downtown I can step out on the sidewalk instead of getting hit by some dumbshit in an SUV. Yeah drive-thrus don't work... at all, shit, they sometimes don't understand you when your head is 2 inches from the box you think they can hear you across the car?

jaded_driver
12-01-2005, 03:55 PM
lol, drive trus FTW!!

Went to mcdonalds last night... 10:52 "May i take your order" me "just a second please" her "order when your ready" (No just waited less than 20 seconds... "ok I want a #2 with a sprite" her "i'm sorry we're closed

pwned

GTinvader
12-01-2005, 11:58 PM
lol, drive trus FTW!!

Went to mcdonalds last night... 10:52 "May i take your order" me "just a second please" her "order when your ready" (No just waited less than 20 seconds... "ok I want a #2 with a sprite" her "i'm sorry we're closed

pwned

ouch.....hahaha. about the firewall thing. I have heard of rewelding the friewall to a LHD car too. ok the guy i know that does his RHD conversions, yes i know they are nissans, he says that when he does it the firwall already has where everything hsould go labled. it has little dot/dent in it to indicate where wires and bolts go. i dont know if its like that for toyotas or not, but i figured that would make things a hell of alot easier if it was. i never even thought about all the suspension and brake work that would need to be done. damn thats alot tougher than i thought.

acidice333
12-02-2005, 01:07 AM
You'd be bettr off importing a RHD (:

acidice333
12-02-2005, 01:09 AM
You don't drive backwards much do you? (: LOL

I mean... I've driven around RHD cars for a few weeks and it gets to be taxing after a while, only really nice thing is parking in downtown I can step out on the sidewalk instead of getting hit by some dumbshit in an SUV. Yeah drive-thrus don't work... at all, shit, they sometimes don't understand you when your head is 2 inches from the box you think they can hear you across the car?

creech_r
12-02-2005, 10:09 AM
RHD sounds like it's more work than it's worth. If you want one, importing could be a cheaper (?). But, if i'm not mistaken, both the firewall alterations or importing (via 'regular' methods...there's a narrowbody gt4 that's a 'celica st' around, etc.) are not legal. Just something to keep in mind.

the only problem is that he cant go through drive-thrus.

OT

That's funny, Alex (cosmic_sombrero) and I got kicked out of the local taco bell because I thought it'd be fun to go through backwards. He had to make the order, and we were laughing sooo hard. the guy who took our order and ran my card was laughing too. Then we get to the window. This lady hands us the cash amount that I just paid. Says that's what happens when people go through backwards. We both thought we'd got a free meal...then she looked at us again, told us to leave, we'd endagered her people, her building, etc. bitch...i have a license and can properly go forwards and backwards (and had no problems manuevering their tiny lane).