PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast, broken Dipstick tube

Schmleff
12-24-2004, 03:12 PM
I am still in Atlanta and cant get to one of my engines to check for myself. My Father in law's brother broke the dipstick tube off of his 5sfe. We are looking for advice as to get the broken part out of the block. I don't recall if the tube can be pulled out with a hooked punch or if it has to be driven out from inside.

johnL
12-24-2004, 04:30 PM
What car is this on? I assume its a camry? If its a celica, just pull the pan. Not really sure what the underside of a 5SFE camry looks like. If it were me, I would just drop the pan. He probably needs an oil change anyway. Have fun freezing down there bro.

John L.

Dr.Auto
12-24-2004, 09:10 PM
You can prbibly pull it out with vice-grips and banging on it with a hammer, or prying with a pry bar on the vice-grips. I have also used easy outs to help break the press fit loose by tapping in the easy out and turning it, at the same time prying up with a screwdriver or prybar. You could always just cap it off and drive it too till you have a chance to fix it. Just make sure it has proper oil level.

Schmleff
12-24-2004, 09:52 PM
It is broken off flush and he has a plug in it now. It is on a camry.

We were hoping to avoid pulling the pan

Dr.Auto
12-24-2004, 11:35 PM
Why don't you knock it off into the pan. Then drain the oil and see if you can snake it out with a magnet..... or just let it lay. It would probibly never hurt anything unless he drive like me. But any case if worst comes to worst you'd still have to remove the oil pan.

Mister2T
12-26-2004, 12:30 AM
I would think that you should be able to pull it out of the block... Wouldnt think there would be anything holding it in.

85gtsblackman
12-26-2004, 04:42 PM
one on my 4afe pops out easy but im not sure about the 5s on that one, may be pressed in

Dr.Auto
12-27-2004, 05:41 AM
5S-FE is pressed in

catinhat
12-30-2004, 11:10 PM
I had the same thing happen with my rebuild and the only way to get it out I found was a soft punch from the bottom with a little pb blaster, but you could just punch it in the oil pan an get it out when you drop the pan. You have to get the new dipstick thru toyota.

Mister2T
12-31-2004, 11:18 PM
so what did you end up doing?