PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET front clip....

jaded_driver
11-24-2005, 01:45 AM
So, anyone ever did this? LOL just curious if there is enough fitment between the wheels...

lol... forgot to mention... found a totaled nissan pretty cheap... doesn't have the turbo.. but has the SR20DE

PhillyDRFT
11-24-2005, 04:42 AM
sr20 is setup for a FR drivetrain, a celica is FF, engine is set longetudally. most likely wouldent work unless you were to find a way to convert your celica to rwd

EDIT: if you mean the FWD drive sr20de that comes in sentras i believe? i think they are setup for FF you might be able to fit one it would require new motor mounts to be welded and a lot of rewiring

jaded_driver
11-24-2005, 04:46 AM
yea i was talking about the one found in sentras...

but yea... 3SGTE is prbly best go... just know the SR20DE engine pretty well..

what are other good options other than the 3SGTE? a late ninties modle 5SFTE maybe?

Colossus20v
11-24-2005, 06:45 AM
a late ninties modle 5SFTE maybe?
just turbo your 5sfe. Do a overhaul on it and then turbo it.

PhillyDRFT
11-24-2005, 04:50 PM
ive been going in circles with the 5sfte idea... if your looking for a moderately peppy car you can do a decent 5sfte for around $3,000 (all off the shelf parts no shoping around so dont flame) theres some problems that your going to encounter with it but overall it feels like a really fun project to me so im not knocking the idea.

3sgte is verry reliable and a verry straight foward swap, you can do one for maybe a little more than a 5sfte. keep in mind that the 3sgte is a stock engine and isnt pushed past oem spec like the 5sfte would be just pointing out a longer lifespan.

i allways wanted to swap a 4age silver/black top into my GT, i drove in a swaped hachi and loved it. Then you have to relocate some mounts for an a series block.

PhillyDRFT
11-24-2005, 04:52 PM
just turbo your 5sfe. Do a overhaul on it and then turbo it.

he still doesnt have a knock sensor need to look into that

Snafu
11-24-2005, 05:23 PM
he still doesnt have a knock sensor need to look into that

Why? There are many other ways you can detect if you're pulling too much timing, or not enough. A wideband should always be before a knock sensor. I tuned my 4AFTE to 10 psi w/o a knock sensor, never had any detonation.

PhillyDRFT
11-25-2005, 12:46 AM
what other ways did you use to detect knock? just listening or did you have some trick to it?

magik06
11-25-2005, 01:21 AM
just make sure your a/f is right

jaded_driver
11-25-2005, 02:11 AM
first off i have a 3SFE... i'm looking for something for power... and power.. and power... lol reason I was thinking about the SR20DE was because I know the engine fairly well... and i've heard nothing but awesome things from it... but i'm not looking to do something like that for about a year... :-D have to get other things done first... body kit, wheels, spoiler, and redo the interior... than i'm going to work on performance.. suspension first, than possibly some weight reduction... no clue how much lighter i can get it though.. aside from stripping everything... and i don't want to do that... going to swap it to a RHD when i do an engine swap... may cut some corners there and lighten it up a bit when i get a view of how everything is laid out... get the frame checked over and power coated... :( long list... kinda depressing... lol

xeril
11-29-2005, 08:15 AM
3sgte is a decent enough power upgrade. hahaha, my friend in a stock 5th gen gt destroyed me off the line the other day.. mainly cause i had no traction in first gear ;) 2nd gear i flew on past him..

Dr Tweak
11-29-2005, 08:20 AM
first off i have a 3SFE... i'm looking for something for power... and power.. and power... lol reason I was thinking about the SR20DE was because I know the engine fairly well... and i've heard nothing but awesome things from it... but i'm not looking to do something like that for about a year... :-D have to get other things done first... body kit, wheels, spoiler, and redo the interior... than i'm going to work on performance.. suspension first, than possibly some weight reduction... no clue how much lighter i can get it though.. aside from stripping everything... and i don't want to do that... going to swap it to a RHD when i do an engine swap... may cut some corners there and lighten it up a bit when i get a view of how everything is laid out... get the frame checked over and power coated... :( long list... kinda depressing... lol

The 3SGTE is such a great engine that it's the engine to go with.

BUT, the SR20DET would be fun. I'd be interested in doing it.

-Doc

trumanpriest
11-29-2005, 03:19 PM
3SGTE is THE way to go- great, great, great motor. 5SFTE is possible but not a very good option, I tried a custom build about 5 years ago and it was great for three months and then threw a rod. 5SFE is just not built for it. Nissan performance would be great- but why not keep it Toyota? My 2cents.

PhillyDRFT
11-29-2005, 08:19 PM
i would like to see a transversely mounted sr20 droped into a celica, i think it would make a best of a car since the sr20 is such an amazing motor im puting one in my 240sx :) but everyones done that anyway... It would be somthing different and new, theres a ton of 3sgte swaps. i would like to see what kind of motors people can stuff into there celi's

KoreanJoey
11-30-2005, 11:44 AM
If you want to know what motors people can fit into a celica whip out a measuring tape. Simple enough right? but they do make tranversely mounted SR20s... nothing new there. The difficulty with running a non-toyota motor into a 90+ Celi is that the body harness is integrated with the motor harness. Nissan on the other hand are not (which is why nissan swaps are easy). That makes it difficult because you'd have to run the chassis by itself w/ a standalone for the motor.

alltracman78
12-03-2005, 07:57 PM
This belongs in Custom......