PDA

View Full Version : GTS Tranny problem

psyco13013
11-21-2005, 10:16 PM
I have a 2000 GTS with 6 speed manuel, with 66k miles on the car. This weekend it started kicking out of 6th gear. I called around to a few mechanics and tranny shops, and then to Alamo Toyota, all of whom told me that the tranny would have to be replaced. They all said for a new tranny (or rebuild) I am looking at between 3 and 4 thousand dollars! Is this right? Is this a common problem for the GTS? I read the other day that the GTS has a week tranny that was prone to problems.

This realy sucks, as I just got the car about 4 months ago, put 10k miles on it, and now I need a new tranny...damn.

If anyone has any ideas, or knows where I can get a tranny for less than a grand, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

SpiderGTS
11-27-2005, 10:58 AM
lately i ve been spending some time at the junk yard, see if you can find one near you and check if they have a gts with the tranny still intact, i am pretty sure that it would only cost you maybe a couple of hundred if that. it may be used but definatly wont hurt your wallet. plus the damn tranny cant cost you that much a damn supra six speed is about 7,500, and the celica is no supra so i see no reason why it should cost so much.

psyco13013
12-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Tranny with 64k miles on it is $1000 at a local junkyard. $1640 to buy it new from a site online. Plus $275 for a friend to install, plus any other parts I'll end up needing.

6 speed trannies suck.

Smaay
12-20-2005, 04:10 AM
yes the 6 speed is not very stout...i never heard of 6th gear popping out though...usually its the syncros going out and it grinds going into gear....