PDA

View Full Version : 3SGTE engine swap question (about the trans)

snyder
12-24-2004, 04:23 AM
Hello. I finally put the trans in today. The motor mount on the engine fits fine. The trans mount over the trans matches the bolts. The two motor mounts in the front and rear do not line up. The front mount lines up but its 1" to short. I didn't try the rear yet. My setup is:

1. 93 JDM 3SGTE
2. 88 3SFE 5 speed trans (GT)
3. 88 GTS hatch body

I can fab the front and rear mounts, but can anyone tell me why they don't match. The trans is from the same bodystyle.

Thanks

CelicaGT4
12-24-2004, 08:03 AM
Like I said before, in the front your solution will be to drill new holes for the motor mounts. It should take about 10-15min. As for the back I don't know what to tell you, but I didn't use a motor mount in the rear because of this exact reason. 3 mounts work just fine unless you have a bad mount, then you can really tell a difference.

Lagos
12-24-2004, 03:20 PM
snyder...i never worked on an 88 before, but when i was doing my swap, the rear motor mount wouldnt line up either. it was about 1in too far away. turns out that the motor was tilted forward too much. i put a jack under it and pushed the motor into place. then everything ligned up.

Aust162
12-25-2004, 04:42 AM
will making a polyurenthane front motor mount make the car vibrate and make the ride quality really bad. I've been reading the DIY mototr mount achive.

Snyder, i think my 86 model swap is only using 3 mounts. i've looked under the car for the 4th one but i cant see the damn thing.i'll have another look :D

snyder
12-25-2004, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the responces. Lagos was right. The motor was tilted to far to front. I used my engine lift to pull up in the front. Then I mounted the mounts to the engine first. After that I mounted the cross member to the car. I am using all four motor mounts. I got brand new ones from Toyota. My friend is the head mechanic there and I can get OEM parts for 40% off.

The old one I am making poly mounts using 80A shore.

Thanks,

Chris