PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a JDM GT4 clip this weekend. Need advice please.

GT4SOM
12-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Yeah I'm rollin down to Miami to this one guys garage down there. I'm going to ask him for the results for his compression test. What can I expect to see as good numbers? Any other suggestions that I should do before I purchase the clip?

gt_turbo
12-02-2004, 12:56 AM
compression is good if it is basically above 160psi in all cylinders and i believe all of them should be within 15% variation. make sure the harness is uncut, ecu is included, all the little gismos such as turbo pressure sensor, ignitor, fuel pack, make sure engine can run if still possible, and check turbo play. and ofcourse look for leaks and etc. and if there is a cs bumper/hood be sure to send it to me :)

GT4SOM
12-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Nah no cs bumper :-( Its not the rc version. I wish. Yeah I check. Thanks for the numbers. So theres only atmost a 15% variation between cylinders? Got ya.

Sean
12-02-2004, 08:35 AM
numbers ranging anywhere from the 130's, to the low 200's are acceptable!

The only thing your looking for when doing a compression test is consistancy. As long as your numbers are within 10-15%, your looking very well.

Make sure you look at the general condition of everything on the car, including the CV boots, to the wiring harness, to the ECU. Make sure the wiring harness is completely intact, and that no parts have been removed for the engine, such as the mass air flow sensor. Just be observant, look for anything that doesnt look factory.

bator
12-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Hopefully you are not going to Ricky's Auto. They have a clip on eBay I called about. I asked him for more pictures of the clip and pictures of compression tests. He couldn't come up with anything and then told me the clip has been sitting for a year and a half. He said the clip was tested in Japan a year and a half ago :rollseyes:

He also told me that it would be $350 to ship the clip from Miami to Massachusetts. I thought that was a good deal! :)

I don't know about you but, these guys that sell clips should be more then willing to show me the clip is in good standings.

Mike431635
12-02-2004, 05:53 PM
I haven't heard the best things about Ricky's either. If I was to ever buy a clip, I would be tearing it apart and building the motor to prepare it for upgrades later, so I wouldn't really care *too* much about its condition. Make sure you don't get shafted though, Nelson!

GT4SOM
12-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Hmm, It happens to be rickys shop that I'm going. I will ask for compression test and I'll be sure to take a look at the clip. Check for any unusual things. I took a loan for 3k. I'm going to offer him 1800$ Thats what I'm going to try to get for. We'll see what happens though. I know that clip has been on ebay for a while. I tell him its been on there for 1 1/2 years. I'll see if theres another shop in miami that sells clips.

GT4SOM
12-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Hmm, It happens to be rickys shop that I'm going. I will ask for compression test and I'll be sure to take a look at the clip. Check for any unusual things. I took a loan for 3k. I'm going to offer him 1800$ Thats what I'm going to try to get for. We'll see what happens though. I know that clip has been on ebay for a while. I tell him its been on there for 1 1/2 years. I'll see if theres another shop in miami that sells clips.
Hey so I just got back from looking at a clip from RIckys garage here in miami. Raceup.com. Well I don't recommend him one bit. He wanted 2200$ plus tax + shipping on a 3s clip. Not only that but this one particular clip had about 116k Kilometers. It comes down to almost 75k miles. That engine will need some work into the maintanance. I told him all that and he said the best he could do is 2100 plus everything else. I had 3k in my pocket but theres no way in hell I would go through him. Who's a good dealer for clips? I know jarco is one of them, any other ones?

GT4SOM
12-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that when I asked Ricky for a Compression test, he threw some bullshit like "Oh it was done in japan" I asked him for the numbers and he said "If it was bad, the motor wouldn't have made it here." He threw some more bullshit after I asked him if it was possible if he could perform one right there. TOld me he doesn't want to risk damaging his "perfectly good motor" HA! He aint getting my money.

bator
12-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that when I asked Ricky for a Compression test, he threw some bullshit like "Oh it was done in japan" I asked him for the numbers and he said "If it was bad, the motor wouldn't have made it here." He threw some more bullshit after I asked him if it was possible if he could perform one right there. TOld me he doesn't want to risk damaging his "perfectly good motor" HA! He aint getting my money.

this is a quote from my orig. post:

"Hopefully you are not going to Ricky's Auto. They have a clip on eBay I called about. I asked him for more pictures of the clip and pictures of compression tests. He couldn't come up with anything and then told me the clip has been sitting for a year and a half. He said the clip was tested in Japan a year and a half ago :rollseyes:

He also told me that it would be $350 to ship the clip from Miami to Massachusetts. I thought that was a good deal! :)

I don't know about you but, these guys that sell clips should be more then willing to show me the clip is in good standings."

Atleast his story holds true.

you can always try JEMCO or Motors Unlimited.

GT4SOM
12-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Oh I told him that I have been watchin his auction on this clip for a few months now. He told me that he had 5 clips and he uses the same pic to list a new engine. :thumbsdow I can tell the clip that I looked at today is the same on the pic in the auction. I know it had white stuff on the alternator and its the same in the picture.

XXX_Mina
12-06-2004, 05:39 AM
lol, u suck, you came on a weekend to shop for engines, my experiences with jamasco was'nt all that, but if you came on a monday or tuesday if they didnt have something 4 ya, they probably wouldave pointed you in the right direction...

Mina

Trance4c
12-06-2004, 05:46 AM
this is a quote from my orig. post:

"Hopefully you are not going to Ricky's Auto. They have a clip on eBay I called about. I asked him for more pictures of the clip and pictures of compression tests. He couldn't come up with anything and then told me the clip has been sitting for a year and a half. He said the clip was tested in Japan a year and a half ago :rollseyes:

I don't know about you but, these guys that sell clips should be more then willing to show me the clip is in good standings."

Atleast his story holds true.

you can always try JEMCO or Motors Unlimited.

Ya.. Jemco is the shit, should try johnny there. Tell him your from celica.net or something, I use to talk to him all the time. He would probably think something of it and let you know what swap hes got available. He had the very tempting RC JDM engine setup that I was talking about before, just no harness and ecu. try there.. good call.

Clayton

Lagos
12-06-2004, 01:45 PM
360-398-9248. RSimports

call this guy up. that where i got my clip from. really honest guy with very good clips and prices.

if somone wont send you updated pics, they are probably trying to hide something.