PDA

View Full Version : car paint

k2skater
12-23-2004, 11:02 PM
hey guys im thinking of getting my car painted at maaco. and i heard people always cracking on them but if i get the Signature paint job which has the base coat the clear coat and the urethane. i dont see why it would be bad. it cost like 1000 and it only takes like 3 days . they will remove all my dents and im pretty sure they will wet sand it. so the question is what do you guys think of going to maaco and can you give reasons thanks

Snafu
12-24-2004, 02:44 AM
If I were you, I'd go get a bunch of sand paper and do the prep yourself. That's what Maaco sucks at. The paint there is fine, just get to know the guy who's gunna spray it, and you can be really nosey about what exactly they're doing. Hell, even ask if you can watch.

mikeswickednick
12-24-2004, 04:11 AM
yeah do all the prep work, maybe even some of the taping? should help

InitialD93
12-24-2004, 05:48 AM
prepare for the overspray and terribly crappy cheep paint of a lifetime.... :nono:

imac
12-24-2004, 06:20 AM
i had no problems with maaco at all. my paint job cost me $400. cant beat that.

CelicaGT4
12-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Take their advice, even though I did ALL my prep and body work I still didn't trust myself to throw down the paint. I would suggest for you to go to an actual personal owned body shop and get the paint done if not all the prep if you don't know exactly what you're doing. The guys that work at the smaller joints tend to have a little more pride and characteristic in their work. I personally had my really good friend (owner of a paint booth) spray my car for me for a hundred bucks and I bought my paint. All in all I got a $2,000 to $3,000 show quality paint job..all for under $700!

Mister2T
12-25-2004, 06:26 AM
I know joe (91stxman) got his painted there, and they are going to fix small rock chips that happened like a year ago or so, not many places will warrenty rock chips, not saying there the best but i thought that was cool and all.

convertiblechick
12-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Not on my baby :nono:

He's got a pitted nose and hood from bugs and stuff and its getting a teeny bit rusty.He's got some chips,etc and bad bad swirling everywhere.
I am gonna check around. I have a lot of bodyshops where I live. My old truck went to Macco and they did a crappy job. Luckily, it got a free repaint from Ford.:thumbsdow

jai
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
There was dude in houston who got his ride painted at maaco, his muffler came out RED! (LOL). Nothing against MAACO, its just that i'm guessing if you mask most of the stuff urself, you'll be better off!

thundr51
01-26-2005, 04:05 AM
Hi all,
First post here at the new digs (I was @ celica.net asking all sorts of questions about the GT4). Anyway, I FINALLY got a celica (2002, GT carbon blue, i'll post pix later) I've noticed some small scratches and I want to get them filled. So i've heard about all of these "miracle" wipe on scratch removers and such and wanted to know if any of you guys have ever used them?

sakigt
01-27-2005, 03:10 AM
When it comes to paint...you get what you pay for. If not now, a year from now. I went the cheap route with my PT when I had my rollpan done. Now Im having it resprayed, the overspray taken off and I have to take the bitch off and reinstall it. What a pain....

Galcobar
01-28-2005, 12:29 AM
My car was painted by Maaco eight months before I bought it in 1998. I waxed it regularly, washed it often, avoided automated car washes, etc.
It developed the look of 15-year-old paint by 2002. This was their Signature job, with base and clear separate (I have the receipt).

The problem with Maaco paint, other than their extremely shoddy prep work, is the softness and lack of UV resistance. The paint ages, badly, and chips easily.

Their prep is pathetic. When disassembling my car to be repainted last year, I discovered they'd painted around lights, instead of taking them off, left masking ridges on practically every seam, oversprayed all around the underside and produced several huge drip marks on the few pieces that were removed -- these drips were so large we ground them down to fit the car back together again.

I do not know a single mechanic, car guy, dealership or autobody shop that has anything resembling respect for Maaco's work.

Do the prep work yourself, and see if you can pay in cash -- get yourself a break on the price by letting the shop avoid credit card fees.

Demz
02-02-2005, 06:10 AM
entire paint jobs costing less than $700 scare me. i did all the work myself but i had asked around a bunch of places how much they charge for a complete paint job, just cuz i was curious, and they where quoting me $800 for labor on all the work i wanted done. i ended up paying around $1000 for paint, clear, sandpaper, activator, etc :blahblah:

just for fun i asked them how much it would cost in labor for my body kit installed, molded, and car completely painted and i racked up a total labor cost of around $1600 :lolhittin