View Full Version : starting problems

11-18-2005, 07:34 PM
90 celica when i go to start it when it's cold out and when the engine is cold the start wont turn over just click.

if i keep trying for about 3 minutes the car will eventually start but puff out a bunch of gas from being cranked over so much. im guessing it's the battery although my lights and everything work when the car is off.

when the engine is warm, or if the temp is warm outside (unlike today) the car will start right up like always.

im going to get the battery checked by autozone today, any other ideas?

occasionally when starting up while cold and engine is cold the tach will jump although the starter is making no noises.

possible cold start injector? but wouldnt the starter be making noises if this was out?

also where is the cold start injector located kthx ;) (5sfe)

11-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Yeah have the battery checked it could be old and able to handle the amp load of a cold start. The cold start injector is located on the front center of the intake manifold.

11-18-2005, 09:04 PM
i heard if it was the cold start injector... it would be trying to turn over but wouldnt not just a click prob is the batter. damn i just got that thing and i bought the one without a warranty me and my cheap ass :(

11-18-2005, 09:08 PM
It will still start w/o the CSI, it just takes a little longer. Your starter could also be going, next time you have this problem tap the starter with a hammer (TAP). How old is the batery?

11-18-2005, 09:13 PM
the battery is maybe 2 months old. would the starter be going if it starts right on the dot when the car is warm and i havent had any trouble with it starting normally only when it gets cold out about 40 degrees. where is the start on my celica so i can tap it next time

11-18-2005, 09:16 PM
maybe it's not when it's cold out.. maybe it's when it's sitting a while but i really think it does it when it's cold out.. only started up since the cold weather started up.. lol well cold for nc.

11-19-2005, 12:53 AM
ok the battery tested good it's the starter.. im just going to bang it to start it when it's cold out until i get tired of doing that or it breaks altogether ;)

11-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Before you spend over $100 for a starter, you can rebuild your about 95% of the time for about $50. All you need to do is remove the starter from the vehicle and take the cover off the solenoid. Take it down to Toyota and match up the two contacts and the solenoid plunger, install them and your all good to go back together.