PDA

View Full Version : Strut Cartridge/Assembly Life

corvelx
11-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I took the celica in to Big-O to get the winter tires/rims on. They told me that all 4 struts needed to be replaced because "They looked pretty old".

When I bought the car in June, the seller told me that all of the struts were relatively new. I checked all of the receipts and found that in 7/5/2002, two of the "Strut Cartridge Gas" were installed along with two of the "Gas Strut Assembly". Do struts go in 3 years? The car has 39,000 miles on it since then.

Which typically gets installed in the front? The cartridges or the assembly? Does the cartridge go into the assembly? :?:

Lagos
11-17-2005, 09:19 PM
is the car lowered at all? if it is then it will make the struts wear out quickly.

corvelx
11-17-2005, 10:31 PM
No, not lowered.

I had them look at the rear struts in the first place because I'm getting a hollow knock sound when I go over a speed bump. I have the lifetime warranty info from the previous owner on those struts, but it turns out that Les Schwab voids the warranty when the car changes owners.

Lagos
11-18-2005, 05:55 AM
get some new kybs from tirerack.com and youll be all set.

Galcobar
11-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Three years won't kill the dampeners on a stock height.

The NA Celica came with rebuildable front struts, where the cartridge is replaced and the strut body kept. The rears are sealed struts, which can be converted to rebuildable, but most people simply buy the replacement struts.

Hollow thumping sound from rear: standard suspects, in order of likelyhood, are rear sway bar bushings, rear sway bar bushing mounts, loose stuff in your trunk, loose spare tire, loose jack/tools, bad bearing in a suspension arm.

Toyota diagnosed my noise as first being the sway bar bushings, then when that proved wrong, a bad strut mount. Only problem is, I spent a lot of money replacing my suspension (though less than I would have paid Toyota to just do the rears) and the clunk is still there. I've narrowed it down to the suspension arm, which oddly enough is what I told Toyota when I took it in for their opinion. Next time, I won't be persuaded by a "trained and certified technician."

corvelx
11-22-2005, 12:32 AM
Galcobar - Les Schwab thinks it's a problem with one of the struts. Good news is that they are going to honor the warranty anyway and replace the back ones for free. Let's hope it's not anything else.